The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Tdl, offseason and beyondddd - LONG READ

KKnight

Bored af at the moment. So obviously Canucks are on top of the noggin. 

A lot of this will depend on draft position, but we are going to have stronger opponents for the second half. I see us finishing just shy of the bottom 5. 

So trade deadline. I would look at moving Sutter, Granlund and potentially Goldy. If not acheived, we can still move them in the offseason. We need to open up a couple spots for Gaudette, MacEwen.  Also, i would look to get Burakovsky from Washington, has potential to be a very good buy low candidate.

Hopefully we are in range for Byram. I think Byram looks like the best Whl dman in years. I've watched him live and I dont see any weakness in his game. I am keeping in mind that this is junior, but if you were to ask me who is a better overall Dman, Hughes or Byram, I would say Byram. 

2. Sign Boeser for 49 million over 7 years. 7 mill cap hit. 

Approaching UFA and offseason trades.

1. If Mark stone is available, I would throw as much as 54 million over 6 years. 9 mill cap hit. 

2. Package Juolevi, along with Tanev + for Jacob Trouba. 

3. Find a suitor for Eriksson, could actually be feasible for an internal cap team, since we've paid the majority of his contract. 

My fantasy team going in to next year. 

Burakovsky - Petey - Boeser

Baertschi - Bo - Stone 

Virtanen - Gaudette - MacEwen 

Roussel - Beagle - Motte 

Ex. Schaller, ?

Edler - Guddy

Hughes - Trouba 

Hutton - Stech 

Ex. Sautner, Biega 

Markstrom 

Demko

This a team I can get excited about. What you think?? 

The rumour is the caps want a couple picks for Burakovsky and Benning has gone on record multiple times saying his picks for this years draft are strictly off limit. Sure he could offer picks in the coming years but I’m sure the caps would get better offers.

Guddy on the first pairing doesn’t get me excited about anything and I don’t think Trouba warrants that high of a package, I’d rather have both Tanev and Juolevi make the team in the fall and move Tanev at the deadline.

Fully on-board with your other ideas of going all in on Stone and moving Sutter and granny though

40 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Eriksson still is due over 4 million in each of the three remaining years on his contract after this season.  Plus he’s got a NTC.  He’s not going anywhere without salary retention. (and assuming he waives).

Loui's pretty tradable come July 2nd. At that point he's 3 mil per year real dollars out, but 6 mil cap hit. A dream for a cheap floor team. Also a 15 team no trade list at that point. I suppose he could block it, but he'd probably be happy for the change of scenery. 

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

The rumour is the caps want a couple picks for Burakovsky and Benning has gone on record multiple times saying his picks for this years draft are strictly off limit. Sure he could offer picks in the coming years but I’m sure the caps would get better offers.

Guddy on the first pairing doesn’t get me excited about anything and I don’t think Trouba warrants that high of a package, I’d rather have both Tanev and Juolevi make the team in the fall and move Tanev at the deadline.

Fully on-board with your other ideas of going all in on Stone and moving Sutter and granny though

Yeahhh, but man do I want change on the back end. I'm tired of having no right hand dman that can get 30 points per season. 

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

Yeahhh, but man do I want change on the back end. I'm tired of having no right hand dman that can get 30 points per season. 

Yeah the right side is kinda interesting.

Stecher IMO often fail the eye test and you can't help wonder how he'd hold up in the playoffs, but there's no denying his defensive stats are good. Guddy - pretty much the oppposite, but I also believe he has to play with better players than Pouliot to not be exposed. I remember Guddy doing quite with Edler last season even though they faced much harder competition than he does this season?

Personally, I'd like to see something like this (and those are pairings, not ice-time distribution):

QH - Free agent/Tanev

Edler - Guddy

OJ - Free agent/Tanev

(Hutton - Stecher)

That's a ringing endorsement of Byram. I don't think we get anywhere near drafting him. For me, I don't think we get lower than 10 or higher than 22. 

In that range my top targets are:

1 Arthur Kaliyev. LW Has probably the best pure goalscorer in the draft a lil one dimensional but if he had a better all-round game he would be challenging for 1 OA. The other stuff you can teach but he has something special. Cook this kid for a couple years and we may have another Boeser on our hands. Ranked 9th Craig Button Jan 7th 

2 Ryan Suzuki. C Just love watching him play skates so well has good size so many tools. Such a great playmaker it would not surprise me one bit to see him in the NHL next year. Ranked 29th Craig Button Jan 7th 

3 Moritz Sieder. Sizeable RHD I haven't seen much of him but what I have seen has been very impressive. If he wasn't buried in the German men's league I would bet he would be ranked in the top 10. Ranked 30th Craig Button Jan 7th 

4 Alex Vlassic. LHD He's 6'5 and skates very well. Has an absolute cannon what's not to love. Ranked 30th Future considerations Jan 11th 

5 Cole Caufield: My personal favorite dark horse of this draft he is teeny weeny but don't be fooled he slices and dices up defenders and is an absolute snipe show. I just love watching him he is fearless and if he were a couple inches taller would be in top 3 pick conversation. Ranked 13 Craig Button Jan 7th 

1. That range likely aquires Stone, don't see why he'd pick Van however. He'll have his choice of suitors.

2. Trouba isn't worth Tanev, let alone both. I agree on looking for a RHD with production, but I'd replace Gudbranson before anyone else. In fact, I wouldn't move Tanev at all in the near future. Re-sign after next year, allow him to be surpassed (hopefully) on the depth chart. He'd be a hell of a #4. Move him in 3/4 seasons for youth if the team has a need then. Plenty of good hockey left in him.

May even be interested in signing his brother if Brandon gets to FA.

3. Likely exactly what happens with Loui, but in a couple years. Future Seattle IceSalmon or wtfever they call that team.

*Interesting take on Caufield, Hammertime. The kid has me curious, as well.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:14 AM, KKnight said:

Bored af at the moment. So obviously Canucks are on top of the noggin. 

A lot of this will depend on draft position, but we are going to have stronger opponents for the second half. I see us finishing just shy of the bottom 5. 

So trade deadline. I would look at moving Sutter, Granlund and potentially Goldy. If not acheived, we can still move them in the offseason. We need to open up a couple spots for Gaudette, MacEwen.  Also, i would look to get Burakovsky from Washington, has potential to be a very good buy low candidate.

Hopefully we are in range for Byram. I think Byram looks like the best Whl dman in years. I've watched him live and I dont see any weakness in his game. I am keeping in mind that this is junior, but if you were to ask me who is a better overall Dman, Hughes or Byram, I would say Byram. 

1. If Mark stone is available, I would throw as much as 54 million over 6 years. 9 mill cap hit. 

3. Find a suitor for Eriksson, could actually be feasible for an internal cap team, since we've paid the majority of his contract. 

My fantasy team going in to next year. 

Burakovsky - Petey - Boeser

Baertschi - Bo - Stone 

Virtanen - Gaudette - MacEwen 

Roussel - Beagle - Motte 

Ex. Schaller, ?

Edler - Guddy

Hughes - Trouba 

Hutton - Stech 

Ex. Sautner, Biega 

Markstrom 

Demko

This a team I can get excited about. What you think?? 

1. Your expendables make sense. I would like to add Pouliot to that list.

2. I think Byrom is wishful thinking as we might not even be a lottery team this year.

3. I find it difficult to envision Boeser making more than Horvat as he's yet to eclipse Bo in offensive production. I do see a bridge contract at a similar number though. I don't          believe Boeser is necessarily a greedy guy, to begin with, and would be fair in his negotiations.

4. Trouba would definitely be a desirable blueliner to obtain, but I have to think he's got to be a priority signing, behind Laine and Connor. The only possibility is to offer sheet        him to more than Winnipeg can afford but; Would that involve another overpayment? Even if the possibility of a trade were there, I think the price would be higher than your      proposed players.

5. Any deal involving Loui begins and ends with Loui. If he were willing to waive, his list would be limited to contenders and would involve some pretty sizey salary retention.         

I would like to add that I would definitely like to see something done with Guddy, whether it be in the form of a deal or a buyout. Guddy is not built for today's game. Take what we can get for him or admit to the mistake and move on.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, KKnight said:

I'm assuming this entirely depends on whether or not we make the playoffs.

1. Agreed we need to move out Sutter, Granlund, Gold, Guddy, Pouliot, Baertschi and Tanev.

2. Boeser likely gets a bridge deal.

3. I don't think the Burakovsky trade happens without the picks and would prefer to trade Goldy for pool-party if possible and see what Green can do with him.

4. Byram is on the top of my list for this draft even above Hughes and Kakko. Based on the needs of Van presently. I doubt we fall in that range though unless we win 1-3 with the lottery.

5. Mark Stone is my pick for FA that we need to really go hard after. Play on the right wing with Horvat and Virtanen (needs to play LW)

6, Would rather keep Juolevi  and try to trade Tanev for Cal Foote (TBL) or for Fabbro, 1st + (NSH).

7. Would like to see Eriksson play with Pettersson and Boeser on the top line.

Eriksson Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Horvat Stone

Dahlen Gaudette Pujuljarvi

Roussel Beagle Motte

Byram

Edler

Hughes

Juolevi

Woo

Fabbro/Foote

Hutton

Stecher

Chatfield

Brisebois

Ideally this is what I would like the Canucks to look like next year.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Tdl, offseason and beyondddd - LONG READ

Archived