The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner

Just now, aGENT said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaLa_hdzz6pSyZvtHqjaR

Was calling for something around swapping these two months ago. Gives both a fresh start and with all our injuries, likely sees Spooner tried up here. Great move IMO.

its like going to a sports gear swap. 

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

If anything canucks Lose this deal but it’s an ahl deal so who cares 

In what way do they lose this trade - at least Spooner can play for Utica if needed. PLEASE do not judge players based solely on their time in Edmonton. The Coilers have a culture of losing and it is accepted there by everyone with maybe the exception of McDavid. Being in Edmonton I unfortunately see a lot of their games and I have never seen a team so complacent and non emotional when they lose. No frustration no broken sticks after a goal etc - watch them leave the ice after they lose a game - its pathetic. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m neutral on Strome as a player and his acquisition. 

I hope my comments don’t come across otherwise. 

Its the hockey trade that I’m questioning, not so much JB’s side because it’s a win in my books, but the Coilers seem to have made an empathy trade and gave up a superior asset to attain Gagme, if if age is the only metric. 

I’m still sorting through it all. 

I’m happy for Gagme, actually. If the trade was just meant to give him quality of life and a fresh start for Strome, then I get it. 

Is this some inside joke I'm missing? We traded for Spooner, not Strome.

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Benning has wanted Spooner for a long time...finally gets him.

Canucks pro-rated deal on Spooner actually saves about 50K and Spooner can play for Utica if need be.  Win in my deal.

I'm telling you right now Green will get this guy to buy in and play - Spooner will have something to prove - just look at how happy Cagguila was to go to Chicago (A team who was lower than the Oilers in the standings at the time) 

2 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Spooner is a pass first guy he has had between 40-50 points up until this year but never cracked 13 goals.  Might be decent on a line with  Boeser and Petterson to set them up. 

Or potentially as the passer on Horvat's line. He's decent on the PP as well.

Either way, particularly with our injuries (and lack of top 6 LW depth), I fully expect to see him tried in those spots.

Archived