The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner

Don't get me wrong folks - Spooner is not the end all for the Canucks and our saviour to deliver us to the playoffs ...... but he is as others have pointed out a serviceable player either here or in Utica (Gagner wasn't) is apparently excited to play for us (wasn't in Edmonton) and 2 years younger. Moving an asset who was on loan to another AHL team for a guy who wants to play and can play for our own AHL team is a win any day of the week for me.

1 minute ago, MikeBossy said:

Edmonton had 3 of the required top 9 :)

Yup, but that's not my team! Gagner needed to go, and I'm happy to welcome Spooner to the team. He may or may not work out, but JB has been right before about other teams castoffs. I'm not overly familiar with his game, so I'm not sure where he fits. It will be interesting to see how it works out for him.

2 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Don't get me wrong folks - Spooner is not the end all for the Canucks and our saviour to deliver us to the playoffs ...... but he is as others have pointed out a serviceable player either here or in Utica (Gagner wasn't) is apparently excited to play for us (wasn't in Edmonton) and 2 years younger. Moving an asset who was on loan to another AHL team for a guy who wants to play and can play for our own AHL team is a win any day of the week for me.

He's also a better skater and arguably better two way player than Gagner.

Still a plug but definitely a better fitting one.

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Uh oh.. why would we trade to Oilers when we are fighting for the same playoff spot. Worst case scenario is Gagner clicks with one of their stars and make the playoffs ahead of us... Spooner's not going do much for us.

If Gagner on another team is the difference between us making the playoffs... I am fine with us not making the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Uh oh.. why would we trade to Oilers when we are fighting for the same playoff spot. Worst case scenario is Gagner clicks with one of their stars and make the playoffs ahead of us... Spooner's not going do much for us.

Better than helping Toronto win. Now Utica is stronger, at the very least. 

8 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Spooner has an equally good chance to be a player on the Canucks as Ganger does on the Oilers. This is a ridiculous trade for people to be upset about.

Same players. And since New York is still retaining cap on Spooner if I recall correctly then the cap and term going both ways is pretty much the same? Maybe we take in a tad more cap. Not sure what 22.5% of 4 mil is, like 800k? Bad on the spot math, school was not kind to me.

This would be Spooner's 3rd team this season. That's gotta be approaching some kind of record right? Who has played with 4 or more teams in one season before? Anyway, worst case scenario is he sucks here too and we bury him in Utica instead of sending him to the Marlies. Utica could use some help given we keep taking their players. So it's an organizational upgrade. Benning wins another trade B)

Archived