The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade: Jensen To Caps for Bowey and a 2nd

FlappyLappy

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's definitely struggled a bit this year. Still a good young player though IMO.

I was hoping we'd have a crack at Bowey. Damn that seems like an overpayment but I haven't been following Bowey's development much this year so I suppose they may have given up on him. 

43 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

What an absolute overpayment by the Caps.

Canucks need to explore an Edler trade if this is the market right now. Bowey+2nd for Edler would have been great but we could potentially get more.

If Jensen gets bowey + 2nd... You gotta add at least 2 first round picks for edler (1 conditional on him re-signing) 

Guess capitals think bowey is a bust? 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Great if Bowie is not the bustaroo he’s looking to be right now.  Bowie is where Hutton was last year.  

I suppose. I'm kind of shocked Bowie isn't doing better. I would of liked to see us take a chance at him. We really lack depth at D at that age. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

I suppose. I'm kind of shocked Bowie isn't doing better. I would of liked to see us take a chance at him. We really lack depth at D at that age. 

Bowey is a hard nosed guy, but (maybe?) he doesn’t skate, handle the puck, and think well enough for how fast the game is now?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bowey is a hard nosed guy, but (maybe?) he doesn’t skate, handle the puck, and think well enough for how fast the game is now?  

I watched him lots here in Kelowna. I thought he had NHL written all over him. Better not quite my day job to be a scout I suppose. Still early in his development though. 

Many seem to be living in the past in regards to Bowey. They recognize the name and think it's a great deal. The reality is Bowey hasn't progressed. He's 23, so there's still potential as dmen sometimes develop later, but it's not looking good. I think the game's speed is increasing quicker than Bowey's development, so he may not be as effective of a player potentially from when they drafted him.

58 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

?

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Just so everyone is aware, this is not the same Nick Jensen that was drafted by the Canucks. This guy is a defenseman.

(I'm sure there will be some confusion...)

Definitely good to point out before the asset management crew jumps in.

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

I watched him lots here in Kelowna. I thought he had NHL written all over him. Better not quite my day job to be a scout I suppose. Still early in his development though. 

There are skills in Bowey’s game that had him drafted where he was.  Woo is now where Bowey was 4 years ago.  They are very similar players.  Everyone thought Bowey was going to become a top four guy.  He just didn’t really get any better.

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Just so everyone is aware, this is not the same Nick Jensen that was drafted by the Canucks. This guy is a defenseman.

(I'm sure there will be some confusion...)

I was confused by this all season.

I legit thought it was our Jensen...

My bad.

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Many seem to be living in the past in regards to Bowey. They recognize the name and think it's a great deal. The reality is Bowey hasn't progressed. He's 23, so there's still potential as dmen sometimes develop later, but it's not looking good. I think the game's speed is increasing quicker than Bowey's development, so he may not be as effective of a player potentially from when they drafted him.

The same could have been said about Hutton last year. Now a good swath thinks we should trade Edler because of his progress this year.

Bowey's only 23 and has been playing on a contender with understandably little patience or ice time for development. I'll not be surprised to see him grow with more ice and opportunity in DET. That said, his ceiling is probably still 'only' 2nd pair if he does so. I don't think anyone posting here is trying to sell him as a future Norris candidate.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The same could have been said about Hutton last year. Now a good swath thinks we should trade Edler because of his progress this year.

Bowey's only 23 and has been playing on a contender with understandably little patience or ice time for development. I'll not be surprised to see him grow with more ice and opportunity in DET. That said, his ceiling is probably still 'only' 2nd pair if he does so. I don't think anyone posting here is trying to sell him as a future Norris candidate.

Contenders usually/should keep their young dmen with potential as they need to worry about the cap. Clearly they've given up on him or don't think there's much left to develop on their end that he isn't valuable to them. This is more like a Pouliot situation IMO. I've said there is still some potential there, but I don't think he makes it a high price for this trade and Jensen is actually a bit underrated.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Canucks need to explore an Edler trade if this is the market right now. Bowey+2nd for Edler would have been great but we could potentially get more.

Bowey + 2nd for Edler would definitely not have been great or even good.

Bowey's time is running out. He's soon to be a 24 year-old that hasn't been able to stick in the NHL. He's only a little more than a throw-in contract.

A playoff-tested legit top-4 D-man in Edler should be worth more. A 2019 1st would be the starting point.

47 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Washington's defense, especially at the bottom-end, has never been so stacked that Bowey didn't have a fair opportunity to become a regular. If he was good enough, room would have been made.

A handful of guys have passed him on the depth chart over the past few years and that's why Washington gave up on him now.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Washington's defense, especially at the bottom-end, has never been so stacked that Bowey didn't have a fair opportunity to become a regular. If he was good enough, room would have been made.

A handful of guys have passed him on the depth chart over the past few years and that's why Washington gave up on him now.

I never suggested otherwise.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Almost 24 years-old is not "early in his development". This is the kind of rationale that had people thinking we traded for a (future) stud in Gudbranson.

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Almost 24 years-old is not "early in his development". This is the kind of rationale that had people thinking we traded for a stud in Gudbranson.

I've started to believe that if you are a 1st or early/mid 2nd round pick and aren't knocking at the door after 3-4 years with an organization, there is little hope for you ever making meaningful contributions at the NHL level. It's not like some other team is going to see something that their old team was missing. Every year you don't make the big club, there is another group of draftees looking to supplant you.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Edler extension is imminent along with either a NMC or a expansive NTC list of teams.

10 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Almost 24 years-old is not "early in his development". This is the kind of rationale that had people thinking we traded for a (future) stud in Gudbranson.

I know modern analytics say most forwards establish themselves as NHL regulars by age 23 and there is not major improvement after that.

With d, is the age that they peak not much later around 27?

37 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I've started to believe that if you are a 1st or early/mid 2nd round pick and aren't knocking at the door after 3-4 years with an organization, there is little hope for you ever making meaningful contributions at the NHL level. It's not like some other team is going to see something that their old team was missing. Every year you don't make the big club, there is another group of draftees looking to supplant you.

Bingo.

The league is getting younger every year and players are breaking out and making an impact at a younger age than ever before.

Look at how many 18-24 year-olds are already established stars, even just 10 years ago it was thought that players hit their prime at around 26 or 27 years-old.

Obviously there are some exceptions but like you said, if at like 22 you still look like a project, time is running out.

Archived