The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Panarin Interested in Vancouver

SuitnTie

2 hours ago, goblix said:

You’d rather see a fancy bridge rather than go hiking, skiing, snowboarding, camping, hit up some nice lakes or just hang around one of the more lively cities when it comes to plays/night life/culinary 

??

seems highly suspect...

Vancouvers weather and terrain is suited for a full calendar of activities. So if you are bored then that’s on you.

Who feels like doing any outdoorsy stuff in the last 2 months?! It has been either cold,or raining,or snowing or all 3!

What plays or nightlife? The Roxy and the Number 5 Orange? Lol.

You can't seriously compare those to the nightlife available in Montreal or Toronto before even mentioning Florida,New York, or Cali.

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Who feels like doing any outdoorsy stuff in the last 2 months?! It has been either cold,or raining,or snowing or all 3!

What plays or nightlife? The Roxy and the Number 5 Orange? Lol.

You can't seriously compare those to the nightlife available in Montreal or Toronto before even mentioning Florida,New York, or Cali.

So you’d rather live in Sunrise than Vancouver?

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

So you’d rather live in Sunrise than Vancouver?

Players don't have to live in Sunrise that play for the Panthers. You can live in Boca or Jupiter FL or Miami or wherever you want.

No state tax. You have plenty of money if you are a guy like Panarin. Do you really mind going out of the way for games? Not really.

Take your Lambo out for a cruise. It's not that bad. 

You think Luongo lives in Sunrise?

No way!

They go there for the games. 

Just like Philly, most of the players live in New Jersey that play for Philly teams.

3 hours ago, goblix said:

Honestly I think we could hit one of those 2 AND panarin and still be fine cap wise

My main inquiry is what panarin would get contract-wise..

Career ppg player... 9.5m/y at minimum??

Upwards of 10M per LeBrun/McKenzie.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Players don't have to live in Sunrise that play for the Panthers. You can live in Boca or Jupiter FL or Miami or wherever you want.

No state tax. You have plenty of money if you are a guy like Panarin. Do you really mind going out of the way for games? Not really.

Take your Lambo out for a cruise. It's not that bad. 

You think Luongo lives in Sunrise?

No way!

They go there for the games. 

Just like Philly, most of the players live in New Jersey that play for Philly teams.

So then ask yourself this. Would Panarin rather play for a team who’s arena barely gets over 10K people most nights, or for a team who is close to selling out most nights?

One of the better rumours to find air. 

He does not have to luve in van over summer an during winter Hockey travel will consume him an any available free time .

i could see him on our west coast. Playing with our core of young emerging stars.He probably would also help sell out arena an bring back more excitement to Van.he will sell tickets

Edited by bobbyg43
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pears said:

So then ask yourself this. Would Panarin rather play for a team who’s arena barely gets over 10K people most nights, or for a team who is close to selling out most nights?

Who knows? Depends on the player. Does he want to be bothered in Vancouver or does he want to come to work in flip flops and go hang with some beach babes after practice?

6 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Who knows? Depends on the player. Does he want to be bothered in Vancouver or does he want to come to work in flip flops and go hang with some beach babes after practice?

What if I told you he could do that in Vancouver for most of the year?

13 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I would give $10/11M per season for Panarin. We would finally have our elite Russian star in Shirokov Goldobin Panarin.

Said if before and I will say it again.

Curse of Pavel Bure. Never will the Canucks get another Russian player even half as good as he was.

They don't fit in and the organization's culture and style doesn't fit them.

Avoid Russians like Mike Gillis did even though it probably cost the Canucks a chance to draft Kucherov.

Still would he have fit in Vancouver the way has in Tampa? 

Probably not.

10 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Said if before and I will say it again.

Curse of Pavel Bure. Never will the Canucks get another Russian player even half as good as he was.

They don't fit in and the organization's culture and style doesn't fit them.

Avoid Russians like Mike Gillis did even though it probably cost the Canucks a chance to draft Kucherov.

Still would he have fit in Vancouver the way has in Tampa? 

Probably not.

I think things are changing, especially with Benning and Brackett in charge. Benning drafted a Russian in his first draft as a GM here (Tryamkin), then a few years later traded for another Russian (Goldobin), and then when he drafted Pettersson he said he reminded him of another elite Russian (Datsyuk). Russians are definitely not on the "Do Not Draft/Do Not Acquire" list.

But as you said, maybe we are cursed with Russian players since Bure left and how management treated him. And I also forgot Fedor Fedorov and the great Jan Bulis in that list of Shirokov and Goldobin. 

• Upvote 1

My offer would be 9 million per for 6 years for Panarin or Stone. If they want higher, just continue with what were doing. These teams are going to get in massive cap problems and other than Eriksson, Guddy. We are sitting good. We have to get Boeser signed to a long term deal, hopefully 6.5 - 7 million per for 6-7 year's. Also, Think about Peteys contract and with the way were trending, We are going to pick up a top level player in this draft again. We HAVE to address the defence this offseason and if it isn't Benning has to go. He has had nearly 6 years and this defence is absolutely pitiful. 

Edited by KKnight

On 2/22/2019 at 1:48 PM, SuitnTie said:

"Panarin has Canada on a no fly list, with the exceptions of Toronto and Vancouver for what their 'cities bring'. This is for the summer, not at the deadline. Obviously the Leafs can't afford him, for what he'll cost but Vancouver could be an interesting destination that isn't being talked about vs the usual suspects of the Kings, Rangers, Panthers and Lightning.

(Towards the 20 minute mark)
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/tsn-hockey-bobcast-tradecentre-edition-1.1261471

Great, let's wait till summer and sign him! Think he would look great with Pettersson and Quinn :)

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Not really, seeing as he was taken 43 spots before their first selection in that draft. 

What are you talking about? They took Nicklas Jensen in the 1st round 29th overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Kucherov went in the second round.

Craig Button talked about how at that time the KHL was seen as threat to the NHL because they didn't have an understanding in terms of a player transfer agreement.

Lot of teams missed on guys, specifically the Canucks who publicly admitted under Mike Gillis that they had a no Russian policy due to the uncertainty of the KHL transfer agreement.

They felt the flight risk was too great to waste a draft pick on a guy who wouldn't be willing to stick it out in North America, going through the minor leagues waiting for an NHL shot. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Friedge said yesterday during the intermission that he could see the Canucks being a big player in the FA pool this summer.

Makes sense

Of course it does. Acquilini wants playoffs next year.

Not so much on Panarin though. He has Canada a no Fly list.

I find it hard to believe Vancouver is more preferable to Toronto or Montreal if he had to pick a place in Canada.

Canucks should have roughly around 15 million to spend.

If they could get rid of Sutter or Gudbranson or Eriksson even resting a bit of salary to do it.

It might be worth it.

Pipe dream though probably.

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

I think things are changing, especially with Benning and Brackett in charge. Benning drafted a Russian in his first draft as a GM here (Tryamkin), then a few years later traded for another Russian (Goldobin), and then when he drafted Pettersson he said he reminded him of another elite Russian (Datsyuk). Russians are definitely not on the "Do Not Draft/Do Not Acquire" list.

But as you said, maybe we are cursed with Russian players since Bure left and how management treated him. And I also forgot Fedor Fedorov and the great Jan Bulis in that list of Shirokov and Goldobin. 

That's my point. With what happened to Benning with Tryamkin and the frustrating Goldobin.

You would think they would swear off Russians for good.

To my knowledge they only have 1 main "Russian" amateur scout in Sergei Chibisov.

He is responsible for the KHL and other leagues in Russia.

This guy...

sergei-chibisov-of-the-vancouver-canucks

If the player needs a translator don't draft him. He won't fit in and will struggle to be one of the guys.

If he has good English maybe take a chance but only with a later round pick at best.

Ideally you avoid them. Nobody was that mad at Gillis' no Russian policy.

Nichuskin isn't doing too great right now.

Edited by Chip Kelly
Added picture of creepy looking Russian Dude