The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Panarin Interested in Vancouver

SuitnTie

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Money.  Cold hard casholla, something the Canucks have in spades and other teams do not.  But the cost doesn’t seem worth it, I’d rather have Stone at 9-10.   Panarin has been looking forward to this payday since he came to the NHL, and I bet he goes to the highest bidder which will like be Florida given no state tax (and at his pay scale that’s an extra million or two in his pocket).   We’d have to offer 12 to match 10 in Flordida...could you imagine?  We’d McDavid ourselves.... and not have McDavid.

I'd rather have stone too

Vancouver is a great city to live in slogan has been beaten to death ...... 

why would european players want to live in Vancouver over the likes of Florida, NY or some other big modern cities in the states?

Please, not everyone thinks the Canadian way like we do. I get that Vancouver is a good city in its own right in comparison to every other western Canadian cities, probably middle of the pack in terms of all nhl cities, but it’s not an attraction per se as some people claim it to be

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Money.  Cold hard casholla, something the Canucks have in spades and other teams do not.  But the cost doesn’t seem worth it, I’d rather have Stone at 9-10.   Panarin has been looking forward to this payday since he came to the NHL, and I bet he goes to the highest bidder which will like be Florida given no state tax (and at his pay scale that’s an extra million or two in his pocket).   We’d have to offer 12 to match 10 in Flordida...could you imagine?  We’d McDavid ourselves.... and not have McDavid.

I would not pay that much.  Really, why box ourselves in if the market goes that high.  Get a second tier winger for now.  A guy that can stay healthy and pot 20g could become a 30g player with EP40.  A JVR type player.  

If the FA market turns insane, get out of the pool!  We could get a sweetheart trade as teams commit Cap suicide.  

Plus we have to already unload a few forwards on cheap contracts.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Middle of the pack? No, it’s one of the best cities on the planet bar none. Not being biased.  

And this isn’t opinion, it’s fact. The Sedins had two opportunities to leave Vancouver but didn’t. Eriksson could’ve signed elsewhere but chose Vancouver. Edler refuses to waive his NTC every time he’s asked because he loves it here so much. 

• Upvote 1

I’m from vancouver and I love it here I have spent 28 out of my 34 years of life here. But if I was a hockey star I would spend a few years in Florida - great weather, beautiful scenery. Vancouver would not be in my top few- it’s got spectacular nature, but how many guys in their 20s-early 30s really care about that. 

Florida

New York

LA

Anaheim

chicago

are all places I rather play than vancouver and I love this place...

now long term term I rather live in vancouver than most of these cities but these guys aren’t picking 1 city for life, just a few years where they get millions of bucks to play

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Pears said:

And this isn’t opinion, it’s fact. The Sedins had two opportunities to leave Vancouver but didn’t. Eriksson could’ve signed elsewhere but chose Vancouver. Edler refuses to waive his NTC every time he’s asked because he loves it here so much. 

This isn’t a fact, it’s an opinion. 

Any big cities in the states is arguable a better option than Vancouver. What if you have a wife who works in finance, in law, in business? Come to Vancouver? 

How does vancouver compare to NY, LA, Miami? Please can anyone please enlighten. Vancouver is our home I get it. But for most young rich Europeans or American star players who haven’t even been to Canada and have no roots here why is vancouver the one and only best city period? 

Why did thr grizzlies move to Memphis? Because no Americans would want to come play for Vancouver. If you say this is a fact, then why did most, if not all, nba players refuse to play here? 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

why would european players want to live in Vancouver over the likes of Florida, NY or some other big modern cities in the states?

Please, not everyone thinks the Canadian way like we do. I get that Vancouver is a good city in its own right in comparison to every other western Canadian cities, probably middle of the pack in terms of all nhl cities, but it’s not an attraction per se as some people claim it to be

Have you spent time pr ever travelled to other Cities?  

Montreal is more fun to visit, but for large cities in Canada, Vancouver is tops.  Never forget winter.  

Crime, guns and poverty are a problem in Vancouver, but are dwarfed by almost every US city of comparison.  

The air is clean, if you have the cash, you can live a pretty sweet lifestyle.  I would put it past almost any other NHL city except for NY and the Frisco Bay.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I’m from vancouver and I love it here I have spent 28 out of my 34 years of life here. But if I was a hockey star I would spend a few years in Florida - great weather, beautiful scenery. Vancouver would not be in my top few- it’s got spectacular nature, but how many guys in their 20s-early 30s really care about that. 

Florida

New York

LA

Anaheim

chicago

are all places I rather play than vancouver and I love this place...

now long term term I rather live in vancouver than most of these cities but these guys aren’t picking 1 city for life, just a few years where they get millions of bucks to play

Have you ever been to LA, no thanks.  Same for Anahiem.  Miami, cant say  but the team sucks.  Chicago is one of the most dangerous cities in the US.  

23 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Why did thr grizzlies move to Memphis? Because no Americans would want to come play for Vancouver. If you say this is a fact, then why did most, if not all, nba players refuse to play here? 

Lol it was because of ignorance, a player who played in Seattle said that he wouldn't play for the Grizzlies because of how cold it was up here. One of the players acquired in the Steve Francis deal with the Rockets showed up in Vancouver in the summer in a parka...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

My ideal offseason with a top 5 pick: 

1. Sign Boeser 6-7 year. 7 million per. 

2. Draft Byram or Boldy.

3. Trade Sutter, Guddy and try to get rid of Eriksson to a team trying to hit cap floor, since most of his salary has been payed.

4. Sign Panarin or Stone to a 5-6 year deal with 9 million cap hit.

5. Sign T.Myers to a 4-5 year deal with a 5.5 million cap hit. Don't think he will get a raise on his annual salary now.

6. If we pick Byram, I would look at options for packaging Juolevi for either a legit top 6 forward, unless we know Sven is good, but I dont think that will ever happen. 

My prediction is Subban is going to get traded this offseason, maybe a Juolevi, Tanev ++ would at least peak their interest. He hasn't exactly had a Subban type of year.

Probably crazy, but we need to be active this summer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ktcy2 said:

Are you being serious? Vancouver has been in the top 5 most beautiful and liveable cities in the WORLD consistently year after year. Florida and NY are beautiful cities but they dont even fall in the Top 10. 

The reason we dont attract UFAs isnt because our city is not desirable, in fact it is the complete opposite of that. It is because of the travel schedule during the season that players will need to adapt to.

Edited by HOFsedins
  • Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

This isn’t a fact, it’s an opinion. 

Any big cities in the states is arguable a better option than Vancouver. What if you have a wife who works in finance, in law, in business? Come to Vancouver? 

How does vancouver compare to NY, LA, Miami? Please can anyone please enlighten. Vancouver is our home I get it. But for most young rich Europeans or American star players who haven’t even been to Canada and have no roots here why is vancouver the one and only best city period? 

#4 on the list of best cities in the world to live in. That’s a fact. 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-most-liveable-cities-2018/index.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ktcy2 said:

Putting the cities themselves aside... why would playing for the Panthers be attractive? The team has never won anything, and only made the finals once in their history. The arena is barely a quarter full and no one gives a $@*% about hockey.

That is good reason to avoid Florida IMO.

Yeah for a guy who's only interest is getting the most money possible, not that any of us are any different, and no loyalty to the countries he plays in, it would not be a stretch for Panarin to at least consider Vancouver... We have cap space available and ownership willing to spend to the cap. His agent would be silly to not look into it.

Not that I particularly want Panarin around.