The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What if Edler wants more than he is worth?

406in604

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

If he wants too much $ or term then this goes just like Ohlund, he walks after a long tenure as a Canuck player. But with JB at the helm, I think he caves and gives in to Edler as he is trying to hold onto his job.

JB should step aside as GM, stay as president. I dont know if I trust him if he fails to make any moves this TDL and goes into july 1 with a ton of $. He has yet to make a bold trade to shake up this franchise. Is that not what we need? A new era has started upfront, time for that to happen on D too!

he was a pick away from trading for PK Subban, so he is capable of getting deals in place, but we have so little tradable depth you need some luck too. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he was a pick away from trading for PK Subban, so he is capable of getting deals in place, but we have so little tradable depth you need some luck too. 

Close but no cigar, I personally think he is better off as the President and bring someone else in as the GM. His signings and trades have for the most part been subpar. His lack of success at getting us returns on pending UFA's at the TDL is also not good. Those extra prospects or picks are long shots but the more you have the more chance to find a NHL player.

He seems like too nice of a guy to make the hard decisions. 

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

If he wants too much $ or term then this goes just like Ohlund, he walks after a long tenure as a Canuck player. But with JB at the helm, I think he caves and gives in to Edler as he is trying to hold onto his job.

JB should step aside as GM, stay as president. I dont know if I trust him if he fails to make any moves this TDL and goes into july 1 with a ton of $. He has yet to make a bold trade to shake up this franchise. Is that not what we need? A new era has started upfront, time for that to happen on D too!

musical gm’s, how quaint. gm’s should read cdc so they know how to run their team. he may make moves at the end of the season to improve his team. he should write down all the opinions of fans and keep every fan happy.

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

musical gm’s, how quaint. gm’s should read cdc so they know how to run their team. he may make moves at the end of the season to improve his team. he should write down all the opinions of fans and keep every fan happy.

If people think JB has done a masterful job in the what 5 years I think those people are wearing rose coloured glasses. But, we are all entitled to our own opinion.

20 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Close but no cigar, I personally think he is better off as the President and bring someone else in as the GM. His signings and trades have for the most part been subpar. His lack of success at getting us returns on pending UFA's at the TDL is also not good. Those extra prospects or picks are long shots but the more you have the more chance to find a NHL player.

He seems like too nice of a guy to make the hard decisions. 

pending UFAs who either have NTCs and/or are injured. The whole concept that you can pressure a veteran with a NTC to waive is laughable, they'll do it if it suits them, nothing Jim says can change that. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pending UFAs who either have NTCs and/or are injured. The whole concept that you can pressure a veteran with a NTC to waive is laughable, they'll do it if it suits them, nothing Jim says can change that. 

Correct, I think Juice loved Vancouver but he waived when approached. Personally if Edler wants another NTC, I tell him to move on. We aren't light years better with him vs without. 

Prediction of what happens. 

Trade deadline without anything happening on the Edler front. 

Subsequently a portion of CDC will attack Benning for being incompetent and not getting Edler to waive, and attack Edler for not “taking one for the team”. They’ll question his drive to win and commitment to the Canucks. 

This will go on for a couple months until Edlwr signs a reasonable contract in relation to market value (say $6m x 4). At which point the same people will crucify Benning for overpaying. 

2 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Given his injury history and stubbornness of not willing to waive his NTC, I'd say 4.5x2 if he is willing to do a Limited NTC and 4x2 if he wants a full NTC

If he wants more than 2 years, let him walk. It's not worth tying up cap space with Petey needing a deal in 2 years, Hughes in the same amount of time (if he signs a contract he automatically burns the 1st year of his ELC) and we're re-upping Boeser this off season.

We need room to improve offense via UFA, and if we can deal Tanev for assets at the draft, we can do some UFA D shopping as well. 

I don’t know how much you’re expecting Pettersson and Hughes is going to get after their ELC expires. Pettersson will most likely get 8-9M, and that’s if he keeps pace with his current production. Hughes hasn’t even played a single game in the NHL. Even if he reaches his potential and comes out blazing, I don’t think he’s not getting anything more than 5M and I’ll surprised if Boeser gets more than 6M. 

Besides, Gudbranson’s, Sutter’s, Bärtschi’s, Tanev’s and Markstrom’s contracts will all be expired, by the time we need to re-up Pettersson’s and Hughes’ contract. 

I would say 3 years at 6M, with a NTC is the ideal offer for Edler. Anything over that (term and money) would be an overpayment.

12 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I would say 3 years at 6M, with a NTC is the ideal offer for Edler. Anything over that (term and money) would be an overpayment.

Just beacuse we have the cap space, spending 6m and giving a NTC to Edler is a mistake. He will slow down, and other than his resurgent contract year he has been disappointing for us in recent years. He is too old and not suited for top pairing minutes.

Rather us save the cap space, not go over pay someone like say Myers and just sign shorter term deals. team really needs a shake up type of trade. we need a younger NHL D who can play and help us now. But that will cost us a high pick and or a young highly touted player

So couple questions here: 

Who provides the veteran leadership on the back end if we don't re-sign Edler and at what cost do we bring him in.

Also why does everyone feel like he needs to take a discount - he's been a number 1 D for quite awhile now for us and at a very reasonable price.

And finally if the cap keeps going up why would any player accept less money when they can still play the game at a high level? Edler has proven this and has had a run of bad luck injury wise  as witnessed by his last injury.

The one thing I do agree on is length of the contract - it needs to be a 2 to 3 year deal max no matter what,

2 hours ago, khay said:

In my opinion, NTC is worth at least 0.5 mil in discount. If his value in the open market is 6-6.5, then with NTC, he should be getting 5-5-6. 4 years seems fair, although 3 would be ideal from the team perspective.

I don't know for sure but if you have NTC, are you eligible to be exposed at the expansion draft? or is that just NMC? If so, NTC is also not a big issue as we can expose him at the expansion draft and protect guys like Hughs (who may need a protection), Juolevi, and one of Hutton or Stecher (whoever sticks).

I think it’s a NMC only from what I was told so good point 

Just now, MikeBossy said:

So couple questions here: 

Who provides the veteran leadership on the back end if we don't re-sign Edler and at what cost do we bring him in.

Also why does everyone feel like he needs to take a discount - he's been a number 1 D for quite awhile now for us and at a very reasonable price.

And finally if the cap keeps going up why would any player accept less money when they can still play the game at a high level? Edler has proven this and has had a run of bad luck injury wise  as witnessed by his last injury.

The one thing I do agree on is length of the contract - it needs to be a 2 to 3 year deal max no matter what,

Edler can be re-signed as a UFA. He WANTS to stay here for his family. There’s also Myers and a few others we can bring in. Eddie is important, there’s no doubt but let’s not act like this guy is Bourque or Lidstrom or even Weber guys. 

The only thing most of us will agree on is no NMC. Ideally the contract should be 3 years max. 3 years 5 mil per sounds fair in my books. He is our best d-man but that doesn't mean he should be getting 6+ mil. He's older and often injured. Only hit the 70 game mark twice in the last 6 years, since he clearly won't hit it this year either. We don't know what he is asking for though, so it's a bit unfair to make assumptions on what he is demanding. 

Archived