The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

With Guddy Pitsburg got a guy who can neutralize Wilson.  They need that if they have any hope of going deep this year.  With Pearson, we get a guy who can play  north south game on the left side with playoff experience.  With better minutes and hopefully some chemistry he can get back a 20g guy.  

Both are needs for each club and both players needed a change.  

As for McCann.  5 goals in 13 games.  Okay, but not great.  

Could we use him, sure, but is he replaceable, yes.  Gaudette looks much better IMO and can also play left wing.  We have a lot of middling players like McCann atm.  Pearson at least has the cup winning background.  I seem remember LA squeaked into their first cup run as the 8th seed.  Not saying, but just saying.. 

McCann is not the part of the trade that bothers me, it’s the second and fourth round picks that we also gave up - precious commodities for a rebuilding team, especially considering that the player taken after the traded pick was Adan DeBrincat.

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

McCann is not the part of the trade that bothers me, it’s the second and fourth round picks that we also gave up - precious commodities for a rebuilding team, especially considering that the player taken after the traded pick was Adan DeBrincat.

There’s no guarantee it wouldn’t have been Adam Mascherin as well

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

If he was making like 2.5-2.75m playing as a 5th dman just sent out there to knock some folks out he would be a good asset. At 4M for 2 years in a top 4 position, he is a huge liability.

750k 7/8th Dman is a push for him, honestly. There is a strong argument that he is the worst defenceman to get regular ice time, in each of the last few seasons. 

10 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

With Guddy Pitsburg got a guy who can neutralize Wilson.  They need that if they have any hope of going deep this year.  With Pearson, we get a guy who can play  north south game on the left side with playoff experience.  With better minutes and hopefully some chemistry he can get back a 20g guy.  

Both are needs for each club and both players needed a change.  

As for McCann.  5 goals in 13 games.  Okay, but not great.  

Could we use him, sure, but is he replaceable, yes.  Gaudette looks much better IMO and can also play left wing.  We have a lot of middling players like McCann atm.  Pearson at least has the cup winning background.  I seem remember LA squeaked into their first cup run as the 8th seed.  Not saying, but just saying.. 

Benning said that Gaudette has never played wing and was always a C and that they are not interested in having him play wing. 

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Lots of people seem the think we are gonna get beat up by girl scouts now, so that's pretty funny.

Probably going to start getting some revisionist history once something new happens. 3 years of Gudbranson and the Canucks were considered 'soft' the entire time but once someone gets run now, the calls for Gudbranson will come ringing out lol. 

The thing with deterrents is that aren't really deterrents, they are responders. When something happens like a bad hit, they respond to the hit. The hit will happen regardless of whether a Gudbranson is on your team or not. 

If you really want to be a tough team, you have to have players that will play on the edge themselves, players that play mean. Players that'll throw a semi-dirty hit here and there themselves instead of only responding when a dirty hit is thrown against their team. 

I feel like that's what has been missing in terms of toughness. The willingness to get dirty ourselves.

Edited by Duodenum
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

Probably going to start getting some revisionist history once something new happens. 3 years of Gudbranson and the Canucks were considered 'soft' the entire time but once someone gets run now, the calls for Gudbranson will come ringing out lol. 

The thing with deterrents is that aren't really deterrents, they are responders. When something happens like a bad hit, they respond to the hit. The hit will happen regardless of whether a Gudbranson is on your team or not. 

If you really want to be a tough team, you have to have players that will play on the edge themselves, players that play mean. Players that'll throw a semi-dirty hit here and there themselves instead of only responding when a dirty hit is thrown against their team. 

I feel like that's what has been missing in terms of toughness. The willingness to get dirty ourselves.

There's more to it than that, I think.

yeah hits may happen, but if they take a run at EP or Boeser, You nail the player, but go for their star player....

Now if you do that, they will want to nail you, ad at that stage it good to have someone, who can actually go to the dance...

Guddy, may not have been everyones cup of tea, and I have been pleasantly surprised by Schenn, but I haven't forgotten Sedins getting slapped around by rat face, or Keith giving Daniel a concussion, or Kadri running amok on Hansen and Daniel, and the only one standing up to him was Hansen...the ultimate fighter...

While I totally agree that we have been lacking team toughness, I want dirtbags like Keith, Kadri and Ratboy in particular to pay dearly if they were attacking or bitch slapping players like Boeser or Peterson around. If Schenn can do this good, but its unfair to belittle Guddy's ability to take anyone on.

And don't give me the Cowardly play by chicken little Mattheson as an example... Had it been seen anyone on our team would have been him to a pulp.

My main concern is who is going to take on the big players of this league now? Getzlaf, Landeskrog, Chara and the likes...

I've seen enough players pull out of potential fights in scums, as soon as they realised, Guddy was involved.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, spook007 said:

yeah hits may happen, but if they take a run at EP or Boeser, You nail the player, but go for their star player....

Now if you do that, they will want to nail you, ad at that stage it good to have someone, who can actually go to the dance...

Guddy, may not have been everyones cup of tea, and I have been pleasantly surprised by Schenn, but I haven't forgotten Sedins getting slapped around by rat face, or Keith giving Daniel a concussion, or Kadri running amok on Hansen and Daniel, and the only one standing up to him was Hansen...the ultimate fighter...

While I totally agree that we have been lacking team toughness, I want dirtbags like Keith, Kadri and Ratboy in particular to pay dearly if they were attacking or bitch slapping players like Boeser or Peterson around. If Schenn can do this good, but its unfair to belittle Guddy's ability to take anyone on.

And don't give me the Cowardly play by chicken little Mattheson as an example... Had it been seen anyone on our team would have been him to a pulp.

My main concern is who is going to take on the big players of this league now? Getzlaf, Landeskrog, Chara and the likes...

I've seen enough players pull out of potential fights in scums, as soon as they realised, Guddy was involved.

Beagle responded pretty well when Landeskog boarded Stecher. In fact, Stecher got back up and threw a couple of punches his way as well. Not to undermine what Guddy has provided while here as his fights with Getzlaf and Martell were prime examples of the kind of response we want from questionable and dirty plays. With that said, I've noticed a bit of a toughness by committee mantra taking place. Unfortunately, not as noticeable or effective as what we hoped Guddy brought on a nightly basis. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, spook007 said:

That's the thing though, star players and non-fighters going after our star players. Our star players have been of the soft variety and we've yet to find that top 6 forward that can muck it up and be dirty himself. Kadri/Keith/etc these guys don't care about Guddy. But a Tom Wilson (minus the headshots) alongside Pettersson makes everyone out there shake in their boots. Mess with Petey and this guy will blow you up. Sadly, we had the opportunity to grab Tkatchuk and we missed out on it. These type of guys can easily deal with the Getzlafs and the Landeskogs while playing regular shifts. They don't grow on trees unfortunately. 

Our weakness has always been softness in our top 6 which can be helped with signing a Simmonds or Ferland in the offseason but I fear both will get big, overpaid contracts that they won't live up to because those types of players are in short supply (Like the awful Lucic signing). 

Other than Rousell, we have nobody who will initiate this kind of play, which I feel is just as important as a response. 

That's part of the reason I believe Edmonton failed even with all those #1 picks. They're all soft as butter. They tried to rectify it with Lucic and Kassian but that was a disaster. Gudbranson was our Lucic. Much like Edmonton won't miss Lucic, we won't miss Gudbranson. Too ineffective to make up with toughness.  

Edited by Duodenum
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Duodenum said:

That's the thing though, star players and non-fighters going after our star players. Our star players have been of the soft variety and we've yet to find that top 6 forward that can muck it up and be dirty himself. Kadri/Keith/etc these guys don't care about Guddy. But a Tom Wilson (minus the headshots) alongside Pettersson makes everyone out there shake in their boots. Mess with Petey and this guy will blow you up. Sadly, we had the opportunity to grab Tkatchuk and we missed out on it. These type of guys can easily deal with the Getzlafs and the Landeskogs while playing regular shifts. They don't grow on trees unfortunately. 

Our weakness has always been softness in our top 6 which can be helped with signing a Simmonds or Ferland in the offseason but I fear both will get big, overpaid contracts that they won't live up to because those types of players are in short supply (Like the awful Lucic signing). 

Other than Rousell, we have nobody who will initiate this kind of play, which I feel is just as important as a response. 

That's part of the reason I believe Edmonton failed even with all those #1 picks. They're all soft as butter. They tried to rectify it with Lucic and Kassian but that was a disaster. Gudbranson was our Lucic. Much like Edmonton won't miss Lucic, we won't miss Gudbranson. Too ineffective to make up with toughness.  

i totally agree with everything up to the last part, which I hope, you'll be right on as well, but I'll leave that for a while, before making my mind up on that.

I've been advocating the rest for a long time, and actually wanted up get bigger, while we were rebuilding, and settled some old scores... I know a few, I'd love to see hammered. And, no there are other ways that the unfortunate Bertuzzi incident.

Don't know about Tkachuk, but something along those lines would be great. Size that can play, and has a bit of nastiness....

I like our players and haven't been overly unhappy with them, but there are too many smurfs amongst them.  

Pearson could be a great signing in that respect, especially if he finds the same mojo he had at Kings.

Time will tell if our team ever gets strong enough physically not be bullied anymore... a few more players are needed, but its getting better... 

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

i totally agree with everything up to the last part, which I hope, you'll be right on as well, but I'll leave that for a while, before making my mind up on that.

I've been advocating the rest for a long time, and actually wanted up get bigger, while we were rebuilding, and settled some old scores... I know a few, I'd love to see hammered. And, no there are other ways that the unfortunate Bertuzzi incident.

Don't know about Tkachuk, but something along those lines would be great. Size that can play, and has a bit of nastiness....

I like our players and haven't been overly unhappy with them, but there are too many smurfs amongst them.  

Pearson could be a great signing in that respect, especially if he finds the same mojo he had at Kings.

Time will tell if our team ever gets strong enough physically not be bullied anymore... a few more players are needed, but its getting better... 

I'm sure something will happen by the end of the year, something always happens regardless of who's in the lineup. I'm sure Schenn can step up against the bigger boys for the rest of the season. He's fought Getzlaf before:

He does well here but he's definitely not as good of a fighter as Gudbranson, for what that's worth. He's not that great of a fighter overall but he'll step up. If McEwen gets back into the lineup, he'll be another one but it doesn't look like they'll call him back up with the logjam of forwards we have now. 

It all gets washed away when I remember having to watch him constantly ice the puck, his net zero offensive game, his lack of a breakout pass, his inability to read the play and pivot on his skates...it's just too much bad to be overcome by just being our enforcer. It's just not worth it. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

From what I can tell, everyone is either indifferent or happy about this trade. (I for one am ecstatic.)

Is anyone honestly unhappy with this trade?

Me.

In Erik’s case he’s a real heart and soul guy. He’s a good dressing room guy. He’s got good character. He can protect our players, he puts us in stronger position to push back when we get into more physical games.

• -SN- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
28 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Me.

In Erik’s case he’s a real heart and soul guy. He’s a good dressing room guy. He’s got good character. He can protect our players, he puts us in stronger position to push back when we get into more physical games.

He didn't put us in a stronger position to push back because he was letting goals in left and right. 

I will give you the character point. Everyone in the lockeroom seemed to like him. But for real, I can already see the team playing better without him in the lineup.

But to each their own