The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Kielly | G

GoldenAlien

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Have to wonder if this is another piece to the puzzle of trading Demko... :ph34r:

With the ED coming up, a lot of 'outside the box' thinking will be going on. I think that Markstrom can be pencilled in for the next +/- 7 years, so  a Demko move might be discussed !

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

If the Canucks don't think Demko will be a #1 then maybe. But you'd want a very high return for such a highly rated prospect.

IMO, even if they think he will be a #1 (and all the more trade value).

If they think Markstrom has truly turned the corner and can be their #1 for the next 4-6'ish years... along with DiPietro coming up and now signing Kielly, and Thiessen already in the pipeline plus we can always draft another goalie this/next year and sign a short term vet to expose in the ED and backup Markstrom the next couple years...

It makes a LOT of sense IMO to translate that value to somewhere else in the lineup, where needed (1LW or right D).

Edited by aGENT

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If they think Markstrom has truly turned the corner and can be their #1 for the next 4-6'ish years... along with DiPietro coming up and now signing Kielly, and Thiessen already in the pipeline plus we can always draft another goalie this/next year and sign a short term vet to expose in the ED and backup Markstrom the next couple years...

It makes a LOT of sense IMO to translate that value to somewhere else in the lineup, where needed (1LW or right D).

I don't disagree with that.

But, if Marky looks like old Marky next year or gets injured. We have no one that has even the chance of stepping up and filling that crease.

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

But, if Marky looks like old Marky next year or gets injured. We have no one that has even the chance of stepping up and filling that crease.

It could very well be a move made a couple months in to the season (to see if Marky's play continues) but sometimes you have to make big moves/take some chances to push your team forward. This might be one of those instances...this summer.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It could very well be a move made a couple months in to the season (to see if Marky's play continues) but sometimes you have to make big moves/take some chances to push your team forward. This might be one of those instances...this summer.

Personally Id rather take risks elsewhere. You need quality goaltending and you don't want a losing culture forming. Since Marky has one more year on his contract Id split games to start the season to see if Demko can be a number one right now. Then Id trade Marky at the deadline in the hopes of acquiring a young top LWorRD prospect.

9 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Plus if we make this move this summer, I could see us signing a solid backup...Smith, Elliott, Talbot, Ward, Mrazek etc

31 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Personally Id rather take risks elsewhere. You need quality goaltending and you don't want a losing culture forming. Since Marky has one more year on his contract Id split games to start the season to see if Demko can be a number one right now. Then Id trade Marky at the deadline in the hopes of acquiring a young top LWorRD prospect.

Markstrom + a quality vet backup (UFA) is probably actually an upgrade short term. AKA - no 'losing culture'.

And with DiPietro, Kielly, Thiessen in pipeline + Bachman still under contract next year...I'd not be particularly concerned about goalie depth...

Edited by aGENT

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

We can lose a goalie in the expansion, and we need a goalie for Utica.

18 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

We can lose a goalie in the expansion, and we need a goalie for Utica.

I'd rather we lose a more easily replaced winger or the like and get value for one of our goalies, thanks. 

Next year we'll likely have DiPietro and one of Kielly/Bachman in Utica.

Edited by aGENT

New profile: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-kielly-rafferty/c-306419100

The 6'2" and 200 lbs netminder was signed early on Monday morning and was already on the ice with the Canucks goaltending coach, Ian Clark, that afternoon.

It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks for the prospect, as Clarkson won the ECAC championship by dispatching Cornell 3-2 in overtime in the finals. With the title win, they were selected to play in the NCAA regionals and had their eyes on securing the title. Unfortunately, they fell to Notre Dame in overtime by that familiar 3-2 score on Friday.

With his season done, Kielly was free to leave collegiate hockey and sign with any NHL team and ultimately chose the Canucks.

Kielly has a very impressive track record over the last few seasons which includes the aforementioned ECAC title, where he was named to the ECAC All-Tournament Team and the Second All-Star Team. Last season, he was named to the ECAC Third All-Star Team and the All-Rookie Team during his freshman season in 2016-17.

This season, he is a finalist for the Mike Richter Award, which is awarded to the NCAA's best goaltender.

Prior to his NCAA career, he backstopped the Tri-City Strom to a Clark Cup title in 2015-16.

His run of awards and championships speaks to his calmness and consistency in the net. He doesn't have a particular style of play that you can point to, but consistently controls the puck to limit secondary chances. He is a mobile goaltender in the net when the need arises, but does rely more on his read of the play to ensure that he isn't caught in a situation where he is scrambling.

Kielly will be 23 when next season begins and has shown over the last few years that he can be a difference maker in the net for every team he has played for. The Canucks are hoping that he will continue that winning pedigree as a member of the organization.

On 4/2/2019 at 8:58 PM, aGENT said:

I'd rather we lose a more easily replaced winger or the like and get value for one of our goalies, thanks. 

On 4/2/2019 at 8:58 PM, aGENT said:

I’m not saying we should choose to lose a goalie, but we very likely could based on how well both Markstrom and Demko are playing. So, do we choose to risk losing one in the expansion draft, or trade one for an asset?  Or do we make a deal exposing a winger and surrender a draft pick to ensure we keep them both?  That is all I am saying.