The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next 5 years and prospects....

Rate this topic

canucksnihilist

Few things that's interesting.

Dahlen: That had so many with so much faith, has been healthy scratched in San Jose. And his pace hasn't changed much since leaving Utica. (7 games, 4 assists, -3).

Goldy:  Has offensive flair, but you'd think with a dynamic player like EP40, he'd get more points, and like him learn to be better defensively. He improved but not enough to

get out of Green's doghouse. 

Palmu: A sixth round pick, with lots of speed and skill. But like Goldy seems to struggle at both ends of the ice. And he's 5'6" and 172 lbs. 

Palmu was always going to be a long shot. Dahlen and Goldy were traded for players that have either gone to the KHL, or retired. And we still have prospect in Karlsson. 

So I don't think things are as disastrous as some in the media would like to pretend. 

If anything what's worrying is Lind and Gadjovich. You'd think they'd improve by the end of the season. 

There's nothing wrong with both Benning and Ryan Johnson getting together and start reviewing things in Utica. Maybe Cull isn't the answer? 

There's nothing wrong with getting veteran help, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the young players learning and development. 

Unlike Walker, I don't think anything would help the team moving to Abbotsford or Langley. In fact close proximity to our toxic media would make things worse. 

Unless there's more AHL teams moving to the West?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah Man?

We played 5 rookies and a sophomore last night...…..that is pretty good, considering 5 out of the 6 are bonified NHLers

On average, NHL teams need to pick 2 NHL players a year, unfortunately, or fortunately, that is where all our NHL calibre rookies are.

Conversely, Tampa gets to keep most of their picks down in the minors for a while...…..

It is the difference of a strong parent team, and a rebuilding one...……...but eventually, if your drafting is strong, there starts to be a log jam

and your players have to stay down longer on the farm team

Jimmy McGill's list is right to the point, and correct IMO......it is starting to build, and we have recently graduated players from there

This year, Benning has signed 3 UFA collegiate players, has collected several extra picks, with more to come IMO, then we have all this years picks.

So for young guys, you can see it starting to build on the farm, as well as on the parent club.

We have a lot of extra's on the Canucks this year, and it will be interesting to see how many of those extra's are moved for picks or prospect...

I think the best example of how well we are doing is our centers are 20, 24, and 22...……...

So the next center drafted  that actually is a potential NHLer, either plays on wing or plays down until he is so strong he forces the issue...….

This cascades down, as now you have a center playing wing, and now you don't need as many wingers immediately...…..

Now, Benning is working on the Defense......it will be interesting to see how he does this...…….stay tuned!

Note, we are still at least 2 years away, from being a real contender...…..at least!

Yeah at least 2 but maybe 3, depending on LE and if we have to wait that long to get rid of him. He's playing at a 2-2.5 mil level with 6 mil price tag, a difference of 3.5-4 mil that we need that for other guys and then Loungo, about 3 a year there but it adds up and when both are off the books, we should be sitting better. 

This teams drafting has been fine.THE HANDLING of prospects maybe could be done better. More help for Utica is needed. JBs problem is he doesn't acquire enough first or second round picks.THIS IS DONE BUY TURNING OVER your roster. Not hanging on to them  until they skate off into the sunset. Trading a Goalie right now would be one of the times that could be a franchise turning moment. 

8 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah at least 2 but maybe 3, depending on LE and if we have to wait that long to get rid of him. He's playing at a 2-2.5 mil level with 6 mil price tag, a difference of 3.5-4 mil that we need that for other guys and then Loungo, about 3 a year there but it adds up and when both are off the books, we should be sitting better. 

Yes, LE certainly is a black hole...….hoping for a buy out prior to the entry draft...…...they should probably have a house cleaning buy out very 5 years....which full, off the books buy out...….it would help a lot of teams.

As for Luongo………….I honestly do not think they will end up paying it...….probably some negotiations behind the scenes......maybe a draft pick penalty taken in the next 3 to 5 years, something, but not the cap hit....just don't see them (NHL) getting away with it. Way too much circumstance to just handy cap the Canucks like that. IMO

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

This teams drafting has been fine.THE HANDLING of prospects maybe could be done better. More help for Utica is needed. JBs problem is he doesn't acquire enough first or second round picks.THIS IS DONE BUY TURNING OVER your roster. Not hanging on to them  until they skate off into the sunset. Trading a Goalie right now would be one of the times that could be a franchise turning moment. 

Markstrom has certainly made a case for changing the plans...…..but I keep on going back to age #1, and the Expansion draft

I just have a hard time seeing Benning letting Demko go, if he looks anything like a real goalie, which I think he does already...…..

So then the question is when do you move Markstrom? I do not see them moving him before they get a better look at Demko

which can either make it better or worse when trying to move Markstrom, as if he plays lights out, then he has good value, if he 

slides back to his past performances, he looses value.

I see him moving at either next years TDL or the following summer...……….

Some how, knowing Bennings MO, if we are doing better, which I believe we will, then he will be reluctant to be moving Markstrom mid-season.

Personally....I love Benning, but he doesn't exactly show nerves of steel...……...

Personally, I am mixed as to when to move Markstrom….sooner than later, but I do not think that is happening...….

Edited by janisahockeynut

40 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Some how, knowing Bennings MO, if we are doing better, which I believe we will, then he will be reluctant to be moving Markstrom mid-season.

Personally....I love Benning, but he doesn't exactly show nerves of steel...……...

Personally, I am mixed as to when to move Markstrom….sooner than later, but I do not think that is happening.

Move him at the draft get a top 10 pick it would be defining in the Canucks future. 

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Move him at the draft get a top 10 pick it would be defining in the Canucks future. 

If the right trade was in place, I’m not opposed to moving just about anyone on the team, save the core. Problem with goaltenders is they’re notoriously not worth a lot in trade... there’s only about 5 tenders in the league that consistently put up great numbers, so I think on the market they typically fetch less than skaters. 

Personally though, assuming Markstrom plays as well as he has this year, gives us the best chance next season to get into playoff contention. Between him and Demko would certainly put us up into the higher tier of goaltender tandems in the league I would think. I also don’t think Demko is anywhere near ready to be a starter, so if we traded Markstrom we’d be likely looking to FA for a starter, and be worse off than we are currently. 

Sorry, but I don't think he is a top value...…..maybe a 18 - 22 mid tier 1st round, but def not a high 1st. (I friggen wish!) lol

But even that might be wishful....but you never know!

I know he has more value than just a 2nd...…..don't know what the add would be

I would easily take that mid 1st, though

Dubnyk the season he was nominated for the Vezina was traded for a 3rd round pick.

• Cheers 2

On 4/5/2019 at 11:14 AM, oldnews said:

This is where your post crashes hard imo.

When  you make fairly embellished overstatements like this - it's hard for people to take it seriously. 

As others have already pointed out, referring to players like Demko, Gaudette, etc as "no real quality' suggests you have pie-in-the-sky expectations - a seriously unrealistic perspective of what consitutes quality - or are simply uninformed about the Canucks prospects.  

It also presumes that the recent drafts will produce nothing - and ignores the reality - that some of the higher end picks, particularly those out of college - or those that develop in European leagues - don't develop in and through Utica.

Secondly - no - it does not take years to develop AHL depth.   AHL rosters fluctuate a lot from year to year.   The AHL is a development league in any event - the point is to strip it of it's young depth - on route to the NHL - that is a best case scenario - it is there to feed the parent club - which it's done a fine job of imo.  Not only have there been a healthy amount of prospects but the Canucks head coach also 'developed' through Utica on his NHL path.

I think there's far more alarmism than necessary here.    The team has far more young depth than you suggest - and it's far too early to assume that players like Madden, Utunen, etc will amount to nothing.

Stay the course - keep at minimum a regular complement of picks each draft - and their trajectory is fine.

Sure I overstater that point.  Agreed.

depth is an issue at the farm, which is the main point.

Edited by canucksnihilist

On 4/5/2019 at 9:02 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Utica hasn't developed "quality"? what about Demko? Gaudette? Jake? Saunter? Bresbois? and probably Juolevi once we finally get to have a look.

You're also ignoring the potential of MacEwan, Lind and Gadjovich, its too soon to call them busts or that the cupboard is "bare" while they are still in the system.

We also have DiPieto, Woo, Rathbone and whoever we pick this year, and the new crop of college guys we just got all set to make appearances in Utica in the next 1 or 2 seasons.

Not sure what your expectations are, to turn all non-1st rounders into 1st rounders? Utica isn't there to turn every player into a superstar. 

demko maybe.. Gaudette.. bruh.. he played 14 games in utica.. he's a product of the NCAA.. absolutely nothing to do with Utica.. Jake? what about him? u mean the guy that had a hot 10-15 games and then invisible the other 60? saunter bresbois? really? they are only here coz we have no one left to play on defense.. they are hardly developed and hardly NHL ready.. they won't even make the team as a 7th defenseman if the Dman are healthy lol.. Juolevi played a quarter season.. he is still a big unknown.. and he'll likely be in the AHL next year assuming we make 0 defense change lol Hughes Tanev Hutton Stetcher Edler and with Schenn maybe a 7th defenseman.. he'll likely be competing for that 6th spot. 

Potential means absolutely nothing.. plenty of prospect have potential.. majority don't make it.. and those that are in utica so far ain't showing much of their potential.. the only player that had a great year is Macewan everyone else had a below avg to poor year

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

demko maybe.. Gaudette.. bruh.. he played 14 games in utica.. he's a product of the NCAA.. absolutely nothing to do with Utica.. Jake? what about him? u mean the guy that had a hot 10-15 games and then invisible the other 60? saunter bresbois? really? they are only here coz we have no one left to play on defense.. they are hardly developed and hardly NHL ready.. they won't even make the team as a 7th defenseman if the Dman are healthy lol.. Juolevi played a quarter season.. he is still a big unknown.. and he'll likely be in the AHL next year assuming we make 0 defense change lol Hughes Tanev Hutton Stetcher Edler and with Schenn maybe a 7th defenseman.. he'll likely be competing for that 6th spot. 

Potential means absolutely nothing.. plenty of prospect have potential.. majority don't make it.. and those that are in utica so far ain't showing much of their potential.. the only player that had a great year is Macewan everyone else had a below avg to poor year

bruh? :lol: 

Pretty sure if you asked Gaudette, the process of getting sent to Utica, building some confidence there and then getting called up was a big part of his year. Lucky for us he was able to stay up.

Yes Jake. I don't know why that needs explanation.

Breisbois and Sautner showed well this year, there's a lot to like there that helps make Hutton tradable. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

bruh? :lol: 

Pretty sure if you asked Gaudette, the process of getting sent to Utica, building some confidence there and then getting called up was a big part of his year. Lucky for us he was able to stay up.

Yes Jake. I don't know why that needs explanation.

Breisbois and Sautner showed well this year, there's a lot to like there that helps make Hutton tradable. 

oh ya you all of a sudden develops into an NHL player after 14 games in the AHL ya i'm sure that did a lot in teaching gaudette how to play. Virtanen progress have been crawling at a turtle pace and i wouldn't be surprised if he and goldobin are shipped out at the draft or the summer. Brisebois and Sautner replacing hutton? what? their 1 point in 28 games combine is going to replace the 20+ ish points from hutton when offense is a premium with this team? what?

13 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Markstrom has certainly made a case for changing the plans...…..but I keep on going back to age #1, and the Expansion draft

I just have a hard time seeing Benning letting Demko go, if he looks anything like a real goalie, which I think he does already...…..

So then the question is when do you move Markstrom? I do not see them moving him before they get a better look at Demko

which can either make it better or worse when trying to move Markstrom, as if he plays lights out, then he has good value, if he 

slides back to his past performances, he looses value.

I see him moving at either next years TDL or the following summer...……….

Personally, I am mixed as to when to move Markstrom….sooner than later, but I do not think that is happening...….

Markstrom might make the decision for them.  He will be a free agent in one season.  Canucks can talk about a new deal this summer and see what are his expectations. 

There is a lack of reliable goalies in the league and he could get quite a deal in free agency if teams believe he has finally turned the corner.  He's also already 29 and might not want to be that patient.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, mll said:

Markstrom might make the decision for them.  He will be a free agent in one season.  Canucks can talk about a new deal this summer and see what are his expectations. 

There is a lack of reliable goalies in the league and he could get quite a deal in free agency if teams believe he has finally turned the corner.  He's also already 29 and might not want to be that patient.

This is definitely a possibility.  If Markstrom bets in himself he won’t sign an extension before next season and play it out.   Could back-fire on him, but it could also back-fire on the Canucks, for both parties it makes sense to see how well he does for another entire season...if he’s still a .920sp goalie then, he’s going to get his money deal, at least  5 x 5, maybe more, possibly a lot more.

PHI looks to have finally got their man in Hart, but they are a perfect example of a team that has struggled for years and (decades?) to get a top goalie, going through endless goalies in the process.  Heck one of them stringed five or so shutouts in a row (Boucher) but ended up a career back-up.  Hoffman like Binnington had an amazing run going from a near last team to the playoffs in the process and now is basically out of the league.   What I’m saying is Hart, Hutton (Buffalo) and both Alberta’s teams have new young shiny goalies but they could all end up duds.   Markstrom will be proven if he can manage another year like this without faltering, given he’s put his time in.  And will definitely get his pay day.  Loads of goalies have played their best hockey in their 30’s too, that shouldn’t be a concern at all.

At the same time loads of goalies have been considered top goalies for a few years and then end up just ok or worse.  Ward, Smith, Anderson, Elliot, Varlamov, Dubnyk, and on and on, even our very own Kirk McLean was a top three goalie for a short period of time..

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

oh ya you all of a sudden develops into an NHL player after 14 games in the AHL ya i'm sure that did a lot in teaching gaudette how to play. Virtanen progress have been crawling at a turtle pace and i wouldn't be surprised if he and goldobin are shipped out at the draft or the summer. Brisebois and Sautner replacing hutton? what? their 1 point in 28 games combine is going to replace the 20+ ish points from hutton when offense is a premium with this team? what?

hey look at that, someone arguing over something no one said. 

• Haha 1