The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PDSF: (P1) Calgary Flames vs. (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | Avalanche win series 4-1

Rate this topic

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/14/2019 at 02:30 AM

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Can retrieve a new puck in just the same time as it takes the linesman to skate all the way back to the other end, if not quicker.

I don't think you're understanding the point.

I'm talking about reducing the severity of the delay of game penalty by making it a single possession 'penalty' as opposed to 2 minute minor.

What you propose gives the advantage/license to the team that delays the game.  It's not necessarily about 'being tired' - it's about being in a compromising situation - but 2 minutes is too much, and nothing is too little - therefore the moderated 'penalty' would be one possession - which would probably still act as a deterrent to dumping the puck in the stands and still not require any unwanted 'discretion' from officials.  It's the basketball context - you touch the ball last, you lose possession - but only in the case of own zone clearances out of play.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

And then there's the over the glass penalty example where you slap it hard and it rises over the glass at the other end of the rink. Bryan Allan did it once. C'mon, that's two minutes? Stupid. 

Yah Sami Salo did that once too...made it a 5 on 3.  If I remember correctly, Canucks actually killed that off.

Edited by Rindiculous
  • Cheers 1

Just now, oldnews said:

I don't think you're understanding the point.

I'm talking about reducing the severity of the delay of game penalty by making it a single possession 'penalty' as opposed to 2 minute minor.

What you propose gives the advantage/license to the team that delays the game.  It's not necessarily about 'being tired' - it's about being in a compromising situation - but 2 minutes is too much, and nothing is too little - therefore the moderated 'penalty' would be one possession - which would probably still act as a deterrent to dumping the puck in the stands and still not require any unwanted 'discretion' from officials.  It's the basketball context - you touch the ball last, you lose possession - but only in the case of own zone clearances out of play.

I agree with you on severity.  I think where we disagree is that the forced lack of change is a disadvantage for the team who can't change; coaches were calling so many timeouts to mitigate the effects that a rule had to be created to prevent them from doing so.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I agree with you on severity.  I think where we disagree is that the forced lack of change is a disadvantage for the team who can't change; coaches were calling so many timeouts to mitigate the effects that a rule had to be created to prevent them from doing so.

It's not necessarily a disadvantage though - this is where the logic doesn't hold.  If you have the line on the ice that you want, and they had just changed there is literally no disadvantage - you are presuming things that are situational - which is why there needs to be a possession 'penalty' - not simply a faceoff. 

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1