The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

Looking at Caufield's highlights (admittedly not the best basis for drawing conclusions), I'm not sure he's got the skating that would allow him to succeed in the NHL as a small player.  He fits into the run of play fine at top-level junior competition but doesn't show an extra gear very often, or the kind of edge work that would make him elusive.  Maybe there's more to the story but I don't see him making chances through elite skating the way Gaudreau does, for example. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Yeah you need to be careful with small guys. They aren't all Gaudreau. What makes Gaudreau special is his ability to turn on a dime and skate circles around the offensive zone while maintaining possession.

Is Caufield that dynamic?

10 hours ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Petey is 6'2", Marner 5'11" Gaudreau  5'9", 

Cole is listed as  5'7".

Not saying I would not like the pick, but that would be a risky one.

Skills are undeniable.

Marner and Gaudreau on skates?  Just kidding other sub six footers are Kucherov and Point...size really doesn’t matter as much as it used to, if the skills are there pick whomever ... like we did with Hughes last year 

57 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i’ve been counting everyones thought so far, 

boldy and soderstrom have 16 votes each, caulfield 9 and broberg 8. no one else has more than 4. 

is this scientific research?

Ach, Bach, Dach sir!

• Upvote 1

Really enjoy all the draft talk. Wish I could join in, but I have seen ( not live ) about 10 players that I know of, and in minute samples. How do CDCers form their opinions ? Every now and then, someone will say that they watch the Giants or Cougars etc, but I fear that most are in the same boat as me. I refuse to watch YouTube clips ( got scalded by forming an oh so wrong opinion of Dane Fox from doing that ) and except for WJC and Mem Cup, I know nothing ! When CDCers churn out top ten lists, I would love to know if their lists are from first hand opinion or is from reading others' opinions. Looking forward to MyNHLdraft updating their 'scouting' rankings ! That's where I get about 90% of my opinion from.

Edited by SingleThorn
sp

BPA.   Whoever that is who’s left or who’s slipped.  We can’t lose with a winger or a center that can be moved to the wing to play in the top six as we need that still.  RHD is a concern always but not sure we should go off board regardless, like the idea of using our second rounder for that pick (like last year).  Boldy has good size and would be fine (Boeser 2.0, one of the best shots in the draft).   In Benning we trust...

5 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’m thinking Viktor Soderstrom if he’s still there. 

Smooth skating two way defenseman with an excellent shot and defensive ability.   I’ll actually be surprised if he’s available at 10 but if he is, you go for him.

If this kid has the shot I’m down with picking him.  We have no shot from the point and haven’t since salo.  Maybe Viktor doesn’t have a Salo bomb but at the least it will add options to our pp. because right now with our muffins its up to a predictable set up to one of boeser or Petey.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, mephnick said:

Yeah you need to be careful with small guys. They aren't all Gaudreau. What makes Gaudreau special is his ability to turn on a dime and skate circles around the offensive zone while maintaining possession.

Is Caufield that dynamic?

Most definitely.......from what I can tell, he's no wilting flower and most of his goals come from hard areas to play in.

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wasn't Schroeder supposed to be small and a can't miss prospect? 

Yes he was ! Many of us were really jubilant when he dropped to us. We all suffer from 'remember Schroeder' syndrome ! Some wounds don't heal easily !

• Cheers 1