The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - Trade for 6th or 7th OA

Trading up for one of the top 2 picks is going to gut our team and the focus should be on 4,5,6,7 as I don't believe any of the top 3 teams is going to select Bowen Byram and its likely Byram falls outside the top 5. 4th and 5th OA will be tough given the needs of the Avalanche and the Kings. Colorado at 4th likely says no to just about anything we are willing to offer as they are desperate for a 2C and likely are unwilling to trade away a chance at Turcotte/Dach/Cozens. Same goes for LA who outside of Kopitar don't have much in terms of elite offense.

This leaves Detroit and Buffalo. I have a strong feeling that Byram is Benning's guy this draft and he will do what he can to move up far enough to make that happen.

I propose:

3rd in 2019, 6th in 2019,  Will Lockwood and 10OA for 6th or 7th OA

Does this get it done? Do we have to add? This leaves us with a shot at Dach/Byram

I predict the following as the top 5 (no specific order) *Podkolzin although by consensus #3 on most rankings, has the highest chance of falling due to the Russian Factor

Hughes (NJ)

Kakko (NYR)

Podkolzin (CHI)

Turcotte (COL)

Cozens (LA)

This leaves

Byram

Dach

Zegras

Krebs

Boldy

Caufield

Newhook

Broberg

Maybe trade away some of our existing cast to get another late 1st or an additional 2nd. So many possibilities this draft. It really sucks that we played ourselves out of the top 9. Some would argue that 4-10 is the next tier. In my opinion, after the first two, the second tier of talent is made up of Podkolzin, Byram, Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Krebs, and Zegras. Unless a team reaches for someone earlier, we are picking in the 3rd tier (Boldy, Caufield, Brogerg, Soderstrom, etc)

19 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Trading up for one of the top 2 picks is going to gut our team and the focus should be on 4,5,6,7 as I don't believe any of the top 3 teams is going to select Bowen Byram and its likely Byram falls outside the top 5. 4th and 5th OA will be tough given the needs of the Avalanche and the Kings. Colorado at 4th likely says no to just about anything we are willing to offer as they are desperate for a 2C and likely are unwilling to trade away a chance at Turcotte/Dach/Cozens. Same goes for LA who outside of Kopitar don't have much in terms of elite offense.

This leaves Detroit and Buffalo. I have a strong feeling that Byram is Benning's guy this draft and he will do what he can to move up far enough to make that happen.

I propose:

Does this get it done? Do we have to add? This leaves us with a shot at Dach/Byram

I predict the following as the top 5

Hughes (NJ)

Kakko (NYR)

Podkolzin (CHI)

Turcotte (COL)

Cozens (LA)

This leaves

Byram

Dach

Zegras

Krebs

Boldy

Caufield

Newhook

Broberg

Maybe trade away some of our existing cast to get another late 1st or an additional 2nd. So many possibilities this draft.

I think Chicago goes for Byram to replace Seabrook

27 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

I propose:

I predict the following as the top 5

Hughes (NJ)

Kakko (NYR)

Podkolzin (CHI)

Turcotte (COL)

Cozens (LA)

This leaves

Byram

Dach

Zegras

Krebs

Boldy

Caufield

Newhook

Broberg

Maybe trade away some of our existing cast to get another late 1st or an additional 2nd. So many possibilities this draft.

I think Byram is too good to fall out of the top three.  However, if he does fall to a spot where we can swap picks (10OA for where Byram falls to) then I hope JB makes the add needed, providing it doesn’t include one of our top young guys, or next season’s first.  

I’d add:

Virtanen and picks.  

33 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I think Chicago goes for Byram to replace Seabrook

I agree.  A future pairing of Byram and Boqvist would be too hard to pass up.

And in my opinion, Byram is the best available player after Kakko and Hughes anyway.

Chicago likely takes either Byram to replace Kieth down the line or Turcotte as he's from the area. They have options as to which area of their organization they want to strengthen. 

Byram is exactly what the Avalanche need and there's very little chance he slides past them. Byram and Makar in addition to Barrie and Girard would give them possibly the most dynamic blue line in hockey. 

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

I propose:

I predict the following as the top 5 (no specific order) *Podkolzin although by consensus #3 on most rankings, has the highest chance of falling due to the Russian Factor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hughes (NJ)……...good                                                                                                                                                 1st Tier

Kakko (NYR)……..good

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Podkolzin (CHI)….Turcotte, because he is the BPA and Chicago has good D prospects

Turcotte (COL)…...I think they go with Podkolzin, because Colorado has Jost and needs scoring wingers                2nd Tier

Cozens (LA)……...I think your right....BPA, and LA needs to rebuild up the middle

Byram (DET)……..BPA and they have visions of Lidstrom

Boldy (BUFF)…….They have Eichel, Mittlestadt, and Reinhart...…..they need scoring wingers                                   3rd Tier    

Zegras (EDM)…….Edmonton needs Scoring wingers, and Zegras can play wing and the BPA                 

Dach(ANA)……….Anaheim needs everything, so take Dach, as he is a big scoring Center who they need.....but they need everything            

Krebs(VAN)………Krebs could go earlier to Edmonton, but my hunch is everyone take BPA for their team, so that leaves Krebs as the last of the 3rd tier

I think you are offering sawdust...…..I think it takes more

Also think you are a little off on who goes where...…...

I would be happy with Krebs or any of the 3 above us

I also think it is possible that someone goes off the boards

Just hope it isn't us...…..I could see the last 4 being mixed up

2 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

I agree.  A future pairing of Byram and Boqvist would be too hard to pass up.

And in my opinion, Byram is the best available player after Kakko and Hughes anyway.

Chicago has 4 good to ''elite'' D prospects already in Mitchell, Beaudin, Jokiharju, Boqvist.

Then another 3 under the radar guys who may be close to Mitchell & Beadin; Galvas, Chad Krys & Lucas Carlsson is having a killer rookie AHL year, 4th in Rockford in scoring with 33 points. Plus retread Koekoek they are trialing to see if he's an NHL player, former 1st rounder?

Not that they should not take Byram?  My point is they have plenty of prospect depth. Don't have to draft for need. 

Podkolzin could look awfully dangerous with Debrinkat & Kane.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Chicago has 4 good to ''elite'' D prospects already in Mitchell, Beaudin, Jokiharju, Boqvist.

Then another 3 under the radar guys who may be close to Mitchell & Beadin; Galvas, Chad Krys & Lucas Carlsson is having a killer rookie AHL year, 4th in Rockford in scoring with 33 points. Plus retread Koekoek they are trialing to see if he's an NHL player, former 1st rounder?

Not that they should not take Byram?  My point is they have plenty of prospect depth. Don't have to draft for need. 

Podkolzin could look awfully dangerous with Debrinkat & Kane.

My thought process was that if Bowman is really going to push hard to move Seabrook and Keith, its gonna cost the Hawks Jokiharju and Mitchell.

If the Hawks want to erase some bad contracts, it will have to be, unfortunately, at the expense of that elite prospect depth.

8 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

My thought process was that if Bowman is really going to push hard to move Seabrook and Keith, its gonna cost the Hawks Jokiharju and Mitchell.

If the Hawks want to erase some bad contracts, it will have to be, unfortunately, at the expense of that elite prospect depth.

They would be, just my opinion, silly to pay that.  The $50 mill is already gone...

Those same guys mentioned on rookie contracts will see the team through the next 2 years. With the cap going up, Chicago will survive. The influx of young stud D should allow for some kind of trade to add depth up front. They wont need much scoring with Kane, Debrinkat, Strome looks better than in Zona, potentially a game breaking forward at #3. The F coming are also up tempo guys like you would be used to already.   

I might / would trade Gustafsson while his value was high. 

43 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

They would be, just my opinion, silly to pay that.  The $50 mill is already gone...

Those same guys mentioned on rookie contracts will see the team through the next 2 years. With the cap going up, Chicago will survive. The influx of young stud D should allow for some kind of trade to add depth up front. They wont need much scoring with Kane, Debrinkat, Strome looks better than in Zona, potentially a game breaking forward at #3. The F coming are also up tempo guys like you would be used to already.   

I might / would trade Gustafsson while his value was high. 

Never said those moves would be smart moves, those are just the rumors floating around Chicago.  And Bowman has earned a reputation as a GM not afraid to pull the trigger on a deal so it wouldn't surprise me if the rumors came true.

Gustaffson is atrocious defensively. At one point during the season near the halfway point, the opposition still had a 100% zone entry percentage when carrying the puck in on his side.  He literally had ZERO zone entry break ups.  That's embarrassing. But he definitely has his offensive game down pat!

By the way....do you sleep?

If you really want Byram, get him at #3.

To VAN: #3 + Delia

To CHI: #10 + Demko

I think Chicago would be all over that. They need a young, NHL-ready goaltender with true starter's potential more than anything. Canucks then move Demko before the expansion draft, allowing them to give Markstrom an NMC (if necessary), and Delia can hold the back-up position for cheap until DiPietro is ready to come up.

Byram at the latest goes to Detroit at 6. Could even see Colorado snag him up. Would look awfully nice next to Makar. Then again snag a mid to late 1st round d-man. Go center with the top 4. Two birds one stone. If they don’t LA or Detroit will surely grab him. 

I say just stay at 10. One of Krebs, Boldy, Caufield will be there. Soderstrom/Broberg/York if they’re feeling a d-man. No need to give up assets when it’s possible to draft the best d-man with a 10-15 pick. Look where Boston got McAvoy.

I would trade Virtanen 2019 3rd rd pick & #10 overall

for 

6 or 7 + 2nd round pick 

I think there are 7 great players in this draft.

This would allow us to get a higher end player and if we draft well in that second round we can replace virtanen but we can also replace Virtanen via free agency.  

Virtanen is a solid player but expendable simply due to not being a game changer and being a winger(easiest position to acquire). 

41 minutes ago, brian42 said:

I would trade Virtanen 2019 3rd rd pick & #10 overall

for 

6 or 7 + 2nd round pick 

I think there are 7 great players in this draft.

This would allow us to get a higher end player and if we draft well in that second round we can replace virtanen but we can also replace Virtanen via free agency.  

Virtanen is a solid player but expendable simply due to not being a game changer and being a winger(easiest position to acquire). 

Essentially trading Virtanen for a 2nd round pick that at best provides what Virtanen does. The odds of us getting a "game changer" with that 2nd rounder is pretty slim and more than likely is a slightly worse Virtanen.

The difference between the guy at 6 or 7 is negligible to the guy we'll get at 10. The 5-10 spot is pretty wide open as it usually is every year. I don't see the advantage to giving up an additional 3rd round pick to move up and get a guy with a skill set similar to the guy we could have gotten at 10 while keeping our 3rd rounder and maybe finding another gem like Tryamkin or Madden. On top of essentially trading Virtanen for a 2nd round pick. In my opinion we give up more than we are getting.

1st + 3rd rounder = 6/7th overall (like I said the difference in player in minimal at best)

Virtanen > 2nd rounder (Armchair GMs love going through their book of hindsight and say "LOOK WE COULDA HAD DUNCAN KEITH!!!" but that's not usually how it works)

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Essentially trading Virtanen for a 2nd round pick that at best provides what Virtanen does. The odds of us getting a "game changer" with that 2nd rounder is pretty slim and more than likely is a slightly worse Virtanen.

The difference between the guy at 6 or 7 is negligible to the guy we'll get at 10. The 5-10 spot is pretty wide open as it usually is every year. I don't see the advantage to giving up an additional 3rd round pick to move up and get a guy with a skill set similar to the guy we could have gotten at 10 while keeping our 3rd rounder and maybe finding another gem like Tryamkin or Madden. On top of essentially trading Virtanen for a 2nd round pick. In my opinion we give up more than we are getting.

1st + 3rd rounder = 6/7th overall (like I said the difference in player in minimal at best)

Virtanen > 2nd rounder (Armchair GMs love going through their book of hindsight and say "LOOK WE COULDA HAD DUNCAN KEITH!!!" but that's not usually how it works)

take away Hughes and Kakko.

you are left with at least 1 or 2 of these guy at 6 or 7:

Byram

podkolzin

Cozens

Dach

Turcotte

I would also expect Zegras and Boldy to go at 8 and 9

Which leaves you with a very risky D-man pick or risky forwards like

Newhook

Krebs

Kaliyev

Caufield

The odds of us getting a "game changer" would increase significantly at #6/7 compared to #10. The difference in that first group of players is NOT negligible to the remaining draft eligible players.  In fact it could easily be the difference between a star player and a Virtanen level player.  Trading for the 6'th or 7th spot would be an excellent strategy but I think you would have a hard time getting Detroit or Buffalo to move them. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] - Trade for 6th or 7th OA

Archived