The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philippines president said 'we will declare war'...

Just1CupB4IDie

On 4/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, ReggieBush said:

I'm actually from Vancouver, born and raised. So let me get this straight, because I have a conscious and am an advocate for human rights, I can't comment on Philippine Politics because I am not Filipino?

If that is the standard that you are setting for discussion on world politics than we have a problem.

Yeah we do have a problem, you gonna do something about it?

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yeah we do have a problem, you gonna do something about it?

No, because I am an educated and composed individual. I know I am right.

You need to re-evaluate your morals and how you resolve your conflicts.

Edited by ReggieBush
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The accusation against Rappler is true, with all the documents bared to the public already, the President wasn't wrong on that one. Trillanes isn't in jail, and if the President is this dicatator who you say he is, Trillanes would've been dead already. Nope, hes still alive, making up stuff with no basis and imaginary people who've yet to come forward. Why is abs cbn still running? Thats an Aquino owned media conglomerate? The president has the right to critisize the media, just like the media can say whatever they want about him. Any dead journalists during the Duterte Administration? ZERO. How many in the Aquino regime? 10 (i think its about 13, but 10 to be safe) Dutertes campaign was mainly based on the drug war, he won by a landslide, so don't act suprised. Its called a democracy.

I didn't say he was a dictator but I did say he had dictator tendencies which includes attacking the press and spreading accusations to his critics. It's a dangerous slippery slops something the country has to watch out for. Leaders don't become dictators overnight.

I did say when there's smoke there's fire and it's possible some of the accusations against Rappler has some truth to it. But of course I find it convenient, for a country full of corruption, somehow the only institutions and people getting flagged are the one's critical of the president. 

Somehow the ones friendly with him or, at least, not critical of him, are left untouched. 

The fact you're referencing a simpsons episode is quite pathetic, are you a 12 year old?

The fact that Simpsons, especially during the era I referenced, was a prime time TV show and targeted an older demographic than "12 year old" makes you ignorant of the show. Especially since it's tacked issues like gun violence, politics, corruption in Washington, and the news media. Hardly topics targeted to only 12 year olds. So maybe you should check the show more often. Animation = for Kids only. 

"Ive seen senators this, and memes" yadda yadda. Its the internet, people are free to say whatever they damn want. If your offended, then guess what, don't go online then.

So that means you are defending or on the side of trolls and cyberbullies online only if they share your views? What standards to you have then. 

Personally any kind of bullying and trolling is unacceptable, I even told people who don't like Duterte not to stoop at the same level of Dutertards because there are many on the former side that also act the same online (although not as frequent).

How do you know their innocent then? Do you know this for a fact or are you just assuming? Exactly. All I know is crime is in an all time LOW in the philippines, run down beaches and cities are finally clean. I'll take a few dead criminals if that what it takes for my kids to be able to walk safely from school or play in the park at night time without having the fear of them being kidnapped, raped or robbed. For the last 30 years the Philippines has been stuck in a rut because no one fears the law, and now they are and theres actual order in the country

I didn't say they were all innocent. Even if 95% of the people the police killed were really bad people it doesn't mean EJK's is the right thing to do.

And this is the scary part which you didn't directly answer. What does it say for a country where 50% of the population tolerate, condone, or welcome the police illegally killing people whether they are innocent or not? Even if there is less crime as a result it paints a dark cloud in our values as a country and this has a lasting effect in generations to come. 

I live in Germany now and I recently went to a museum discussing the country's past. And one of the excerpts from citizens that many were aware of the dangerous rhetoric and atrocities done by the Nazi party but because life was better than previously (better economy, less crime, etc.) almost every one turned a blind eye. 70 or 80 years that part of Germany's history is seen as the country's "original sin" that can never be erased. 

I am not saying Duterte is Hitler at all, my point is that, if the people and the country are willing to accept, knowingly, the immoral and unethical things the president is doing. But are you, as a parent, are willing to accept this burden on future Filipinos? 

I have also lived in the Philippines most of my life (yes I live in Germany now and part of my Childhood was living in Canada) and while I am legally Canadian I still say I am from The Philippines since I spent 30 years of my life there.

My point is we as Filipinos all want the same thing whether you are a Duterte supporter or not. You and I living in The Philippines for 3 decades I am sure we have all had similar experiences and want a better country. The fact that most Duterte supports tend to use divisive rhetoric (i.e us vs the yellows, "mga dilawan" etc) is only adding to the problem of dividing the people.

My last point we all want a better country but it's also good to it right (i.e. police not doing EJK's, a president that doesn't threaten all his critics to the point of imprisonment). These two are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by iinatcc

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yup, JT was scared of the threat of war..

JT is a lover not a fighter.

I am surprised you guys are not fighting China on canola issue.

DT might be a dolt about lot of things  but he is right about China, they don’t play fair at all.

26 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

DT might be a dolt about lot of things  but he is right about China, they don’t play fair at all.

Justin has done literally nothing with China. 

On 4/25/2019 at 2:05 PM, iinatcc said:

So you are saying living a more humble life makes you less corrupt? Those don't add up as facts buddy. I mean I am not fan of the Aquino's but your reasoning makes no sense. 

Corrupt in what sense ? Corrupt as in self-enriching or corrupt as in nepotistic ? 
If its the former, then yes, a politician living in a manson in a developing country is odds-on favorite to be corrupt than a guy living in a 2 bedroom apartment

On 4/29/2019 at 11:44 PM, iinatcc said:

And this is the scary part which you didn't directly answer. What does it say for a country where 50% of the population tolerate, condone, or welcome the police illegally killing people whether they are innocent or not? Even if there is less crime as a result it paints a dark cloud in our values as a country and this has a lasting effect in generations to come. 

I live in Germany now and I recently went to a museum discussing the country's past. And one of the excerpts from citizens that many were aware of the dangerous rhetoric and atrocities done by the Nazi party but because life was better than previously (better economy, less crime, etc.) almost every one turned a blind eye. 70 or 80 years that part of Germany's history is seen as the country's "original sin" that can never be erased. 

I am not saying Duterte is Hitler at all, my point is that, if the people and the country are willing to accept, knowingly, the immoral and unethical things the president is doing. But are you, as a parent, are willing to accept this burden on future Filipinos? 

I have also lived in the Philippines most of my life (yes I live in Germany now and part of my Childhood was living in Canada) and while I am legally Canadian I still say I am from The Philippines since I spent 30 years of my life there.

If you are from the developing world, then you should know perfectly well, that the values you are espousing, is a matter of MONEY first and foremost. Our first order of priority is safety and security, not rights. If you have a police force that is seriously outgunned and out-classed by the criminals, due to extremely poor funding (and training), due to the said nation not having $$ to invest in said things, then you start living in virtual anarchy. And that is the point where most people WILL trade away rights to ensure there is safety and security. 

Whether that is the case in Phillipines I don't know, but as a fellow born in the developing world and much like you, having family and personal links with the developing world, i can definitely relate to the scenario where people are happy granting extra-judicial rights to the police/military to restore order. Take away Germany's money and blow up the crime index by 1000x and the Germans would do the same. So would any rational society. 

You of all people should know this fallacy of 'rights paramountcy' in the western ideological mindset. Rights can only exist in an affluent society with strong excess income that they invest in social machinery like law enforcement, judiciary, etc. Take away the money for all that and your rights collapse in a heap of nothingness. Its a luxury of economic plenty, not a mark of anything else. 

Edited by canuckistani

It i

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

It is time to get rid of much of that canola and become the leader in hemp.... so many uses, so many yields per year and so damn resilient a crop.  Paper, fuel, food, cloth..etc, etc, etc...

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2019 at 6:44 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Yup, JT was scared of the threat of war..

umm.... 

On 5/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Justin has done literally nothing with China. 

this has been a disappointing trade area for sure. Looking at the whole Meng situation its reasonable to look back and say that it would have been a hard road dealing with China for any leader. 

But he should've been pushing harder for trade with smaller Asian countries. He blew a year grandstanding on APEC and thats too bad because we need those smaller trade partners now to lessen our dependence on exports to China. I do think its finally started (particularly with Japan) but this should have been something he didn't play games on.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:05 PM, CBH1926 said:

yeah its all gonna change when Scheer gives Xi his angry face. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

umm.... 

this has been a disappointing trade area for sure. Looking at the whole Meng situation its reasonable to look back and say that it would have been a hard road dealing with China for any leader. 

But he should've been pushing harder for trade with smaller Asian countries. He blew a year grandstanding on APEC and thats too bad because we need those smaller trade partners now to lessen our dependence on exports to China. I do think its finally started (particularly with Japan) but this should have been something he didn't play games on.

The real kicker is that China is now buying the ag products they cancelled from us from the US. We do the US a favour and they steal our market share, sounds like energy all over again. JT needs to cut all ties with China and kick their diplomats out of Canada.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

The real kicker is that China is now buying the ag products they cancelled from us from the US. We do the US a favour and they steal our market share, sounds like energy all over again. JT needs to cut all ties with China and kick their diplomats out of Canada.

unfortunately thats essentially impossible on the import side. But on exports, yup we need way better markets - and more reliable partners - for our ag industry folks. If we get that out of a Scheer gov't I can maybe live with it, so hopefully he doesn't f that up. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

unfortunately thats essentially impossible on the import side. But on exports, yup we need way better markets - and more reliable partners - for our ag industry folks. If we get that out of a Scheer gov't I can maybe live with it, so hopefully he doesn't f that up. 

That is difficult no doubt but I wonder if Vietnam and Indonesia could fill the void?

46 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That is difficult no doubt but I wonder if Vietnam and Indonesia could fill the void?

for sure, and Japan. Maybe even the Aussies. I think we'll have to subsidize it for a while but better that than let it rot in a port in China.

Whatever happens we can't bend to China's bullying. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

for sure, and Japan. Maybe even the Aussies. I think we'll have to subsidize it for a while but better that than let it rot in a port in China.

Whatever happens we can't bend to China's bullying. 

In situations like these I would like to see a united parliament. All parties working together for the betterment of Canada and Canadians.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1