The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

The ONLY reason to trade for Lucic is for the assets that would be coming with him. 

He's a 'cost', not an 'asset'. So why the hell would we sign (even for less term/$) him if we weren't getting other assets?!

Lucic would actually protect our guys. Thats why I want him. I'm sick of guys pretending to play tough guy. When push comes to shove they b*tch out. I never wanna see what happened to Petey again.  Everyone can say the guys didn't see it. They had a chance to finish Matheson and they failed. Even the Jan 12/13th game they thought one little talk after a whistle was enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG6ECuCPzOY

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

We can find someone to 'crush skulls' as a 13th F for $1.5m who can actually skate.

Still not an asset.

I think maybe you're underestimating the level of difficulty in acquiring players with this skill set, nevermind at that salary.

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Tell that to @Canuck Surfer, apparently everything's fine in EDM :lol:.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkkvsS63TOIw2K9Q-uKqP

I roared, that was funny.

I don't dispute there are GM's who would not touch Looch with a ten foot pole.

My point is, It does not mean Edmonton will pay to get rid of him. The cost hurts the team. More than $7 mill in cap space helps them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I roared, that was funny.

I don't dispute there are GM's who would not touch Looch with a ten foot pole.

My point is, It does not mean Edmonton will pay to get rid of him. The cost hurts the team. More than $7 mill in cap space helps them.

Then they get to keep him and toil in mediocrity with his anchor dragging then down :)

Point is, nobody is taking on that contract without a HUGE add.

Holland may not be willing to pay it, but that doesn't exactly improve their situation. There's no 'win' for Holland here.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:42 PM, aGENT said:

Arguably more intimidating Gudbranson didn't stop it playing 18 minutes a night. How much do you think Lucic is going to help playing less than 12 minutes on the 4th line/sitting in the press box?

Any potential Lucic trade needs to view him as a 'cost', not an 'asset'.

See above.

8 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Lucic would actually protect our guys. Thats why I want him. I'm sick of guys pretending to play tough guy. When push comes to shove they b*tch out. I never wanna see what happened to Petey again.  Everyone can say the guys didn't see it. They had a chance to finish Matheson and they failed. Even the Jan 12/13th game they thought one little talk after a whistle was enough.

8 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Lucic had 3 fights last year (same as Guddy) and one of them was with Tanner Glass lol. 

The real tough guy on the Oilers is Kas, who had 5 fights.

The biggest problem is that the NHL doesn't care if their star players get targetted for dangerous hits and head shots.

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Outsiders said:

We could get Reaves for basically free from Vegas if we just needed someone for that role.

Lucic’s contract needs a big add to be palatable.

• Cheers 1

While many have hostile feelings toward Milan Lucic ( for reasons I can't understand), I think it's fair to say he'd be a better fit here than in Edmonton.

My biggest reason for thinking this is the fact that our team does not play at a fast pace.

Petey is not known for his speed. He plays a cerebral game, relying on his vision and foresight. He can see the play develop and knows where he has to be or where he needs to get the puck. 

Imo, Lucic can keep up with the likes of Petey, Boeser, and Horvat.

I could see a great match with Horvat in that both play a gritty forechecking game where working the boards and getting the nose dirty are key strategies to their success.

A partnership between beast and bulldog could be a great advantage to our team.

I also like the idea of reuniting Boeser and Horvat. They had great success in Boeser's rookie season. I like his fit better with Horvat.

Think about it. Horvat can either shoot or pass the puck. 

Boeser, the sniper extraordinaire, constantly shooting and creating rebounds.

And Lucic, the beast in front of the net, cleaning up the garbage created by the other two.

Playing for his hometown team could also reinvigorate his game and reignite his passion. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

We could get Reaves for basically free from Vegas if we just needed someone for that role.

Lucic’s contract needs a big add to be palatable.

You're delusional if you think Reaves comes for "free".

The current best enforcer in the league, who is coming off of 9 goals and 20 points.

Has the ability to play a regular shift with no issues, has good enough wheels to keep up with the speed of the game and isn't a liability. That is extremely rare to find in today's game. The fact that he played all 7 playoff games for Vegas speaks volumes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

The current best enforcer in the league, who is coming off of 9 goals and 20 points.

Has the ability to play a regular shift with no issues, has good enough wheels to keep up with the speed of the game and isn't a liability. That is extremely rare to find in today's game. The fact that he played all 7 playoff games for Vegas speaks volumes. 

... who is on a team that desperately needs to shed cap.

There isn’t likely the market you think for him as he is on a big contract for a 4th liner.

24 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I agree that he probably couldn't be had for "free", but he certainly cannot play a regular shift (unless you call a minimal 4th line shift as regular). He had the lowest average as a regular on the team with just under 11 minutes a game. This continued into the playoffs and while he did get into all 7 games, he was played under 9 minutes average. He's pretty much dressed to police things if things get out of hand.

Vegas is currently over the cap, but that includes Clarkson who they will put on LTIR saving them over 5 million, but if they do want to dump more cap then Reaves is nearly a 3 million dollar guy that doesn't play all too much. Not sure what the valuation would be here, but it'll depend on if Vegas wants to move him and how much another team values his policing.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

... who is on a team that desperately needs to shed cap.

There isn’t likely the market you think for him as he is on a big contract for a 4th liner.

He has 1 year at $2.775M remaining on his deal. I wouldn't call that a big contract...how many times this year did we ice a $10M+ 4th line? Now those are some big contracts.

Reeves would be an excellent addition to our lineup. Definitely not free though.

41 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

He has 1 year at $2.775M remaining on his deal. I wouldn't call that a big contract...how many times this year did we ice a $10M+ 4th line? Now those are some big contracts.

Reeves would be an excellent addition to our lineup. Definitely not free though.

Well nobody said free... that was a straw man argument.

Way under his periceged market value though.  A late pick or mid/lower level prospect is what someone will pay for him.

Solid young tweener players with upside can be had for 2nd-3rd round picks, he isn’t worth that level of return.

17 hours ago, Me_ said:

Going from the mountains to a big eastern city to an elaborate oil patch in the middle of nowhere has to play on the psyche. I have a feeling Lucic could definitely regain his form as post-penguin Pearson seems to have.

I don’t think Eriksson is that bad. But for some reason, he never really found footing in Vancouver. Neither did Gudbransson. Lucic also hasn’t found footing in Edmonton. Same reason why some players flourish with their new team after having been a dump by another team. Vanek is a good example, struggling to fit with the rebuilding Canucks, scoring at a higher pace once he landed with Columbus.

Many players have disappeared after being traded or signed with another team. Nothing guarantees you’ll fit at your place of employment. 

Lucic is is the type of guy who knows how to, and has played, on the playoff line between right amen wrong; what is allowed and what isn’t. 

I believe he is an asset in the playoffs.

Lucic would be useful for Van as a net guy, creating space, and policing (he is still one of the very toughest in the league).  He could play bottom 3 and i think he could at times play up with EP.  EP likes the puck possession style and that fits lucic's game more.  Lots of teams would take him but the contract is a killer.  I understand guys want to get paid, but it must be a living hell for him these past few years.  As a player you want to have a contract that down the road could be movable and not put too much pressure on you.  An example of this was Alex Burrows.  

• Upvote 1

I’d love to get Reeves! He bitchslapped the entire Canucks team and we had no one that would stand up to him.  

In any case Elias or Bo would be a much better fit then the fastest player in the league for Lucic haha 

Btw do people on here realize that Milan’s family broke up and his dad committed suicide?  

I’d say he’s kept it together pretty well considering that he had local idiots spraypainting his church and his grandparents’ house

17 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Btw do people on here realize that Milan’s family broke up and his dad committed suicide?  

I’d say he’s kept it together pretty well considering that he had local idiots spraypainting his church and his grandparents’ house

Source on Suicide and family issues being??