The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson's 'friction'

Rate this topic

Dr. J.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why would he 'have to' go based on saying he and Green don't see 100% on everything? :lol: I doubt Green cares, and Loui's not wrong. 

The last couple sentences are more key.

As for now it looks like he will play for the Canucks next season, but “we will see what happens.”  He has three seasons left on his contract and he doesn’t speak like he wants to be here for those years.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think this definitely helps it come to a head.  Assuming that this reporting is accurate and Eriksson doesn’t come out with a statement saying it was out of context.

There has been a feeling it has to be dealt with this summer, but this has to make that more likely.

Eriksson is a smart veteran, he had to know that this is basically asking to be traded.  Green has defended him at every point, and Eriksson lost the confidence of Desjardins as well.

After July 1st and the bonus has been paid, he can be moved pretty easily.  This article lets them play a little more hardball.  They can tell his agent that he will be in the minors if a trade doesn’t happen, and that it is best for everyone to move on.

this is on a similar journalistic level to the  "Jakes stuff" episodes. It makes no difference at all to Louis tradability or not, assuming there's even a market for him right now. 

People are making way too much of this. 

• Cheers 3

the Province article: https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/loui-eriksson-travis-green-and-dont-get-on-100-per-cent?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1556887284

Loui Eriksson is playing for Sweden this month in international hockey. He was asked about his time in Vancouver.

Loui Eriksson’s time in Vancouver has been a disappointment.

The Swedish winger knows it. And he believes he can still get better.

Signed in 2016 after a 30-goal campaign, he’s barely eclipsed that one-season total over his first three seasons in Vancouver.

At the end of this past season, he was asked more than once about how he felt about his future in Vancouver; he has no plans to retire, he said.

He’s a guy who wants to do more and surely has been frustrated by his lack of success, both on a personal level and for his team’s sake.

In an interview with Swedish hockey site HockeySverige after the national team defeated Russia 6-4 on Wednesday, Eriksson pointed out that he hasn’t had a consistent role in Vancouver — and highlighted that he’d been in a mostly “defensive” role this past year, which we well know — while also saying he really does like living in Canada and especially on the west coast.

“I haven’t had so much ice time,” he said in Swedish of the recently completed season. And although he doesn’t score like he used to, he said he’s still having fun playing hockey — something he also told reporters at the end of the season here in Vancouver.

“The coach and I don’t really get on 100 per cent,” he acknowledged about his relationship with Travis Green. “It is difficult when I do not get the same trust that I received from all the other coaches I had during my career. Of course it is tough on that front.”

Publicly, Travis Green spent a lot of time this season defending Eriksson for doing the “little things” well, even if he was drawing a big salary to score goals. That a player brought in to be an offensive leader hasn’t been surely is going to frustrate any coach; his deployment has told us as much.

In Eriksson’s first year with the Canucks, under Willie Desjardins, he played 18:41 per game. But each season his ice time has decreased, down to 16:16 per game in Green’s first year in charge and then just 14:04 this past season. (His career average is 17:53 per game.)

Still, he insists he’s going to keep going, to keep “fighting on” as it were.

“It feels like I’m still a good player in the league,” he said.

Eriksson, by the way, scored two goals in the win over Russia.

Seems he's thinking big after a 2 goal effort vs. Russia (pre-tourny). Maybe it is just a bad fit, but he can't go blasting the coach in Swedish media. His contract is buyout proof and frankly looks toxic to a team trying to acquire him. A curious decision.

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

the Province article: https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/loui-eriksson-travis-green-and-dont-get-on-100-per-cent?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1556887284

Seems he's thinking big after a 2 goal effort vs. Russia (pre-tourny). Maybe it is just a bad fit, but he can't go blasting the coach in Swedish media. His contract is buyout proof and frankly looks toxic to a team trying to acquire him. A curious decision.

I don't think this is anything close to "toxic" but if nothing else does signal Loui's likely willingness to move on to a new situation if one's available. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

This situation could end up being good for Loui and the Canucks.  I think he is very motivated to prove himself and will play lights out in the Worlds'.  If that happens, there may be more interest in him.  If he truly believes that his relationship with Green has affected his game, then perhaps he can convince a GM.

As I have stated before, of all the plugs people bring up regarding Loui in a trade, I would only go for Kovalchuk.  All the others would make the team worse.

I do not see the Canucks bullying Loui by sending him to the AHL.  He's too good a player for that league and it would be considered bad form throughout the NHL.

More likely, he will be packaged with a younger player and traded before the end of the season.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think this is anything close to "toxic" but if nothing else does signal Loui's likely willingness to move on to a new situation if one's available. 

There's more in the TSN article:

"Last two seasons I have played less and in a defensive role," Eriksson said, via Google Translate. "I also cannot make the same points as [I did] before if I do not play so much in the roles I had before. In this way, it is not really possible to compare, but I must do my best and fight on."

"Of course it is boring for that part," he added of the defensive role with decreased ice time.

The 33-year-old has three seasons remaining on six-year contract he signed with the Canucks as a free agent in 2016. Eriksson, who carries a team-high $6 million cap hit, said he's ignoring speculation that he could be bought out this off-season. 

"People can say what they want and it can spread quite quickly," Eriksson said. "As it looks now, I will play in Vancouver next season as well, but you never know what can happen. We'll see what happens after the summer."

I think both parties have been willing to move on for a while, at least since the 2nd year of his contract and he still sucked. A team looking at his contract and then watching him use the media, can't possibly be an attractive acquisition. 

He's had 2 coaches here and hasn't exactly performed for either of them. If he's not willing to waive his NTC, and can't perform in camp, its not like we don't have the room to send him to Utica for the year and absorb 5 million cap hit. That should motivate him to do something at least.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

There's more in the TSN article:

I think both parties have been willing to move on for a while, at least since the 2nd year of his contract and he still sucked. A team looking at his contract and then watching him use the media, can't possibly be an attractive acquisition. 

depends on the team, after July 2nd his actual salary is 3 mil for a 6 mil cap hit, so for the cheapie GMs out there he's ideal from a cap management pov.

His defensive numbers are very good, and when put on the top 6 he still produces at a decent rate (e.g., his 15 games with Bo and Peason which in hindsight may have been a showcase move).

I do think there's a team roster fit out there, but its more whats coming back the other way. The garbage for garbage ideas are a non-starter. I doubt Aquilini would agree to a major salary retention. So best chance is a cap floor team and maybe a mid-round pick back imo. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

???

Baertschi and Granlund have earned their time. Both are all-situations guys who grinded it out here. Weisbrod as AGM has nothing to do with playing time...

No, they were force fed minutes since they were acquired while other younger players never received the same treatment.

Weisbrod probably had a hand in drafting them in Calgary so when he came here I guess he convinced the organization to give them a free ride. That’s how I see it at least. The minutes they got when we acquired them with nothing to show seem borderline ridiculous to me.  

• Wat 11