The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson's 'friction'

Rate this topic

Dr. J.

30 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The translation is a bit off... The boring bit is interpreted wrong... 

was he saying the defensive role was "boring" or not having more ice time and sitting on the bench was "boring" - whats the correct Swedish word here? 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

was he saying the defensive role was "boring" or not having more ice time and sitting on the bench was "boring" - whats the correct Swedish word here? 

His translated words were:

"I couldn't perform under two different coaches and a long line of trials as linemates. I've lost a step but don't really want to reinvent my game to fix it, since I'm getting paid either way".

He might not have said that, specifically though.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Eriksson's contract isn't that terrible anymore, especially not after July 1st. It's still a bad contract but it's not as terrible. He's paid most of the money he's owed, he's producing at a third line rate while being defensively responsible and playing a shutdown role. He has a limited NTC, so there's some flexibility there and I have a feeling he won't block too many trades since he's looking for a change of scenery. Retain salary on his contract for the next 3 years and suddenly you might be able to get a mid-late round pick for him from a contending team in need of depth and veteran leadership. Eriksson at 3-4 million is right there in value for what he's providing. It's not such a stretch anymore for a GM to take a chance on him if the Canucks retain salary.

No real need to retain salary as it is only three mil a year in actual salary. 

8 minutes ago, brownky said:

His translated words were:

"I couldn't perform under two different coaches and a long line of trials as linemates. I've lost a step but don't really want to reinvent my game to fix it, since I'm getting paid either way".

He might not have said that, specifically though.

you must do a lot of yoga, thats one hell of a stretch 

• Haha 1

Just now, spur1 said:

No real need to retain salary as it is only three mil a year in actual salary. 

Contending teams are usually strapped, so if they need it and to increase Eriksson's value and get a mid/late round pick back without having to take back a bad contract we might have to retain. No problem for us either way.

5 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Contending teams are usually strapped, so if they need it and to increase Eriksson's value and get a mid/late round pick back without having to take back a bad contract we might have to retain. No problem for us either way.

He would do us a big favour if he blew the doors off in the World Championship.  It wouldn't be any kind of major deciding factor for an NHL GM, but it might just tip him their way just enough, even if as a bad, but maybe salvageable contract to get a low cap spending team to the cap floor.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Gags was sent down to the AHL because he wasn't good enough to play for the Canucks.  If Loui were making Gags $, nobody around here would be talking about him.

BS.

Gsgner was outperforming Eriksson points wise when they were on the team together and also had the bonus of being able to play centre or wing.

Edited by Provost

He has no one to blame but himself. He has been given every opportunity imaginable. He was brought in to play with Sedins, which he did for a lengthy time, but he didn't produce. They tried him with other line mates when that didn't work and he still sucked, and he still sucks after 3 years. Obviously any coach is going to get fed up with this after a while. I don't put any of this on Green. Eriksson should hold himself more accountable and not make it sound like his failure is due to the coach not trusting him or putting him the right role or not giving enough ice time. I want this guy gone big time. I hope a trade is coming soon.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

BS.

Gsgner was outperforming Eriksson points wise when they were on the team together and also had the bonus of being able to play centre or wing.

His defensive game was frightful and he was hurting the team.   Gags only played 7 games for the Canucks last season and even that was enough for them to want him gone.

• Upvote 1

LE needs to realize he’s had every opportunity to keep his stock up but doesn’t make the best of them when it has come his way.  Can’t blame the coach for not producing like the old days, that’s entirely on him.  If he hadn’t lost a step and was still putting 25-35 goals in the net he’d be on the #1 PP and playing full-time in the top six.   I’d be surprised if he finishes his contract with us, it will either be retirement or the minors in the end, and that’s also up to him.

3 hours ago, mll said:

Weisbrod was still in Boston for the 2011 draft. 

Baertschi averaged 13:27 his 1st season as a Canuck.  He earned his minutes.  He was barely over 11min up to December that 1st season with several healthy scratches and as his play improved he got more minutes.

13:27 a game is A LOT for his poor performance.

Shinkaruk for example got 13 seconds one shift on the 4th line and then benched. And people wonder why he busted. He was t even given a shot.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 2