The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our 40th pick

Rate this topic

iceman64

6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

There isn't a list for like the top 3 rounds is there? There's always the first round order, but after that where would I go to find 2nd/3rd round guys? 

I'd simply google it, top 100 2019 nhl draft projections and i'm sure more than a few.. each round is 30 so top 100 should suffice your curiosity. 

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well.. the way i look at it is having a good list of quality prospect's headed to ECL's is nothing but a good thing and that's canuck history making for the first time, especially if we keep next years picks. I've hated the cap since day one and i believe we lost a cup out if it but the secret is, being so damn good no one can beat us and that takes time yeah but at least we haven't traded our first's for years and have a  single great player but we are hardly one player away from greatness.

Things could be a lot worse, we only have one bad contract and after his bonus LE will be 3 mil off the cap if we retain half but cap incresse next year should cover that. (3 mil is in his range IF anyone wants him that is)

However i hope benning has plans for paying petey and boeser, including the plan of having ELC's and supporting cast so we don't end up like Toronto or Edm.

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

On 5/10/2019 at 4:01 AM, iceman64 said:

II just read Jared Chan's article on 3 Defensemen available at 40th but he also had "mentions" and Alex Vlasic, out of the USDP who seems to be a fairly decent player who is a real man child at 17 yrs old, 6'6 200 lbs who has skills.. only 4 goals last season but 23 assists.

Some have him listed around 37-38 but if Benning can grab him by trading up a few spots? Or wait it out and see if he's available? 

Oh for what it's worth bob mckenzie has him @ 23rd.

Another big dman with some skills would be great to pair up with hughes or?  in a cpl of years 

This is a big if depending on if Benning wants another D but why not get stocked up on D with the way injuries happen here? 

Who knows though right? Might be a really good prospect forward who he can't pass up.

Anyway, thoughts?

My guess is that if he’s 6’6 200 lbs and has some skill, he’ll go higher than 40.

My pick for #40 is Vladislav Kolyachonok, a 6'2'' L shot D man playing for Flint Firebirds in the OHL. 29 points in 53 games but has a lot of room to grow into his frame as he is only 181 lbs right now. Late birthday and could be a second round steal imo. 

On 5/9/2019 at 2:35 PM, iceman64 said:

Yes but which one of them is 6'6? And obviously he has skills and iq... 

How well is his skating though?  That would be my biggest concern over anything.  Big guys generally can't move as well and being against u18 peers he might be able to get away with it but what happens when he's playing against quicker NHL players?  Someone like Myers you can see the flaws, Chara is just so smart you can't compare him.

Well, I suppose it will matter who Benning picks with his first...……...

what I hope happens is we obtain another early second

I would love

a  

1st round forward at 10th (Boldy or Krebs) or any other top 10 forward Dach????? PLZ

a

RHD with our 2nd

and 

a

RHD with an additional 2nd

I am advocating the Belachek  method of building

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:42 AM, Russ said:

How well is his skating though?  That would be my biggest concern over anything.  Big guys generally can't move as well and being against u18 peers he might be able to get away with it but what happens when he's playing against quicker NHL players?  Someone like Myers you can see the flaws, Chara is just so smart you can't compare him.

From what I saw he skates well, it's a myth that big guys cant skate, I can use my own experience of growing up to be 6 foot 3 and all I needed was leg strength training and I could skate a lot faster than kids older than me but of course I had to work on it. Look at Horvat for instance although hes not that big as 6ft 6 BUT his skating kinda sucked when he got here but he worked at it and does fine so it proves as long as you put in the effort... good things happen 

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

From what I saw he skates well, it's a myth that big guys cant skate, I can use my own experience of growing up to be 6 foot 3 and all I needed was leg strength training and I could skate a lot faster than kids older than me but of course I had to work on it. Look at Horvat for instance although hes not that big as 6ft 6 BUT his skating kinda sucked when he got here but he worked at it and does fine so it proves as long as you put in the effort... good things happen 

Its a matter of cutting and being able to keep up with the speedy guys.  Its harder for bigger guys to twist and go.  I have never seen the kid play so I have no idea what his skating is like.  Its one thing to be big and skilled and quick at the juniors level but some guys peak at that point, not saying he has, hell he could be similar to a Chara who is amazingly good, or he could end up being big and be more like an Andrew Alberts, who wasn't a bad skater, but top end skaters made him look silly from time to time just because if he got beat he couldn't recover quite quick enough.

4 hours ago, Russ said:

Its a matter of cutting and being able to keep up with the speedy guys.  Its harder for bigger guys to twist and go.  I have never seen the kid play so I have no idea what his skating is like.  Its one thing to be big and skilled and quick at the juniors level but some guys peak at that point, not saying he has, hell he could be similar to a Chara who is amazingly good, or he could end up being big and be more like an Andrew Alberts, who wasn't a bad skater, but top end skaters made him look silly from time to time just because if he got beat he couldn't recover quite quick enough.

Well thankfully he doesn't have the same build but he's pretty mobile is actually what caught my attention along with good vision and iq, plus maybe he can provide some push back when needed but if we keep going into the playoff's soft as butter then back to the old "same ole" scenario we have seen over the last 40 yrs with only 2 exceptions and both no depth to make it in for the kill.

Meh..  oh yeah and you can improve cutting by improved balance, goes hand in hand. That's why Bo shocked me so much after his first season spent time and came out noticeable after working on it in the offseason. Again, whatever you put in, you get out but some only have a certain amount of sheer will and determination, some have more. Others need more motivation. I just hope we get more of the latter. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

On 5/9/2019 at 1:39 PM, dm_ranger said:

I won't claim to have any insight into prospects and their projections.

I do however, have an immediate hesitation when 'man-child' is used.

Kids that are bigger, stronger, faster, than their 15-17 year old rivals don't stay bigger, faster, stronger at the NHL level.  

I think you need to look at skills, IQ, and work rate of the "Man-child" prospects harder than you do with other prospects.

This doesn't mean don't take them, but be aware that their physical advantage might dry up in the NHL and I want to know they have other options.  Jake and Gadjovic are possible examples of this.  

Case in point... Jim Sandlak.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

On 5/9/2019 at 11:35 PM, KKnight said:

Lassi Thomson is my 2nd round guy. Also, really like Grewe and Puistola. 

I agree. Thomson was good rigjt out of the shoot this year. Some kids need time when they come to north America but he looked really good. Will be interesting to see what his draft club does with him now that he bolted back to Finland instead of playing for a memorial cup host. 

On 5/16/2019 at 4:44 PM, High and Inside said:

I agree. Thomson was good rigjt out of the shoot this year. Some kids need time when they come to north America but he looked really good. Will be interesting to see what his draft club does with him now that he bolted back to Finland instead of playing for a memorial cup host. 

The guy has an absolute cannon of a shot. Very good on the PP and has some bite to his game. I think he has a lot of room to grow. I think at minimum you have a top 4 dman.