The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our 40th pick

Rate this topic

iceman64

II just read Jared Chan's article on 3 Defensemen available at 40th but he also had "mentions" and Alex Vlasic, out of the USDP who seems to be a fairly decent player who is a real man child at 17 yrs old, 6'6 200 lbs who has skills.. only 4 goals last season but 23 assists.

Some have him listed around 37-38 but if Benning can grab him by trading up a few spots? Or wait it out and see if he's available? 

Oh for what it's worth bob mckenzie has him @ 23rd.

Another big dman with some skills would be great to pair up with hughes or?  in a cpl of years 

This is a big if depending on if Benning wants another D but why not get stocked up on D with the way injuries happen here? 

Who knows though right? Might be a really good prospect forward who he can't pass up.

Anyway, thoughts?

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

Yes, I thought Vlasic played pretty well at the U18. Mind you, he played for the stacked US team. But double-mind you, Vlasic made that team and didn't look out of place. I believe he can play both sides as well. I am hoping that Grewe or Beecher are around at #40.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

I won't claim to have any insight into prospects and their projections.

I do however, have an immediate hesitation when 'man-child' is used.

Kids that are bigger, stronger, faster, than their 15-17 year old rivals don't stay bigger, faster, stronger at the NHL level.  

I think you need to look at skills, IQ, and work rate of the "Man-child" prospects harder than you do with other prospects.

This doesn't mean don't take them, but be aware that their physical advantage might dry up in the NHL and I want to know they have other options.  Jake and Gadjovic are possible examples of this.  

Yes but which one of them is 6'6? And obviously he has skills and iq... 

Edited by iceman64

If he has skills, good IQ and is mobile enough then it sounds great.  As I said I don't claim to know any of these prospects.  I just don't want someone whose success to this point is that he was 6'6 playing against 5'9 players.  If he checks the other boxes great.

1 hour ago, dm_ranger said:

Kids that are bigger, stronger, faster, than their 15-17 year old rivals don't stay bigger, faster, stronger at the NHL level.  

I think you need to look at skills, IQ, and work rate of the "Man-child" prospects harder than you do with other prospects.

Great comment!

6 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

If he has skills, good IQ and is mobile enough then it sounds great.  As I said I don't claim to know any of these prospects.  I just don't want someone whose success to this point is that he was 6'6 playing against 5'9 players.  If he checks the other boxes great.

Yeah i get that part but i don't think it's the case here size wise. IQ though? Yeah he has that and play making ability it seems with 23 assists but i get what your saying. I guess your best off reading his bio and from more than one source,what's said about him for yourself.. 

Edited by iceman64

39 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

this site has us picking Byram at 10th lol and Afanasyev with the 40th. :emot-parrot:

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

Afanasyev would be an interesting pick. Russian (if that matters to you), but has played in the US for a few years. 6'4" 200+lbs LW.

Might be the perfect complementary piece to Boeser and Petterssons line

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Trebreh said:

this site has us picking Byram at 10th lol and Afanasyev with the 40th. :emot-parrot:

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

That is not a ''site'' per se?  It is a site where people can log on, create a profile, and create their own mock draft.

That was the draft opinion of a username Bill Plazcek; a quick Google has him as a blogger or writer (?) for a Chicago based / Blackhawk based web site called the rink.com ? 

18 hours ago, dm_ranger said:

I won't claim to have any insight into prospects and their projections.

I do however, have an immediate hesitation when 'man-child' is used.

This doesn't mean don't take them, but be aware that their physical advantage might dry up in the NHL and I want to know they have other options.  Jake and Gadjovic are possible examples of this.  

Very True!  I recall Jeff Greenlaw was a can't miss prospect.  Kid was huge in Juniors.  Sadly, he did nothing in the NHL.