The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] If the Canucks had one major aquisition. Who would you want it to be?

Who would you want as the Canucks major aquisition?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, smokes said:

OK so from what I have read about the rumours so far. The Canucks are tied to a whole lot of players but realistically, if something were to happen through trade, the Canucks probably only have enough assets worth gving up for one major player or the cap space to land one major free agent. So the players that have been tied to the Canucks according to rumours is Lucic, Malkin, Benn, and Panarin. So if the Canucks can only get one considering the assets we might have to give for each one, who would you want? 

My vote would be for Jacob Trouba.....assuming that Trouba wouldn’t mind staying in Canada.    It would also depend on the asking price and if it was reasonable.  Under these circumstances, I would choose Jacob Trouba. 

More realistically though, I absolutely would be willing to take on Lucic.

1) He would add massive toughness which is a huge weakness for us.   Teams won’t take liberties with Pettersson and Hughes with Lucic here.

2)  A familiar hometown environment might be the perfect antidote.  Let’s face it - Lucic hasn’t been the same player since his father passed a few years back. That’s perfectly understandable.  Surround him with family and friends, and you might wake up a bear.

3) An Eriksson for Lucic swap would likely force Edmonton to hand us extra assets.  Since Eriksson is slightly superior player right now, combined with the fact that his contract is slightly better (ie one less year), the likely scenario is that the Canucks might be able to upgrade an asset (ie Eriksson+10th for Lucic+8th).   IF Söderström (RD) gets selected earlier than planned, I would then push for a Eriksson+10th for a Lucic+Bouchard deal.  I think the Canucks really need to walk out of this draft with a young RD.

Guys like Benn, Malkin, and whoever don’t fit into our window of opportunity, and would likely cost us too many assets.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I said Panarin

But as an 'other' Anders Lee would be cool.

Highly doubtful that Lee goes anywhere. 

I would love to have Panarin, but I think he’ll be too expensive.  

Teams don’t win cups when they have players with a cap hit above 9.5 million.    

50 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Ovechkins cap hit is over 9.5

29 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Ovechkins cap hit is over 9.5

My bad if that’s true.

Im over here in China and so capgeek and spottrack aren’t readily available (nor is google, and baidu here sucks).

I thought Ovie’s cap hit was 9.5 million exact but looks like I was wrong.   

In the case, I would argue that anything with Ovie’s cap hit and below is acceptable.   Until a team wins and proves otherwise, this is the stance that I will take. 

Edit - I just saw it.  9,538,462 (or something around this much).    I haven’t done the math as to what percentage 9,538,462 was of Washington’s cap last year, but whatever percentage that turns out to be, that’s the highest that I would offer Panarin......and not a penny more.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

4 hours ago, brownky said:

Hmm. One acquisition.

Brett Pesce.

Unfortunately these playoffs have likely jacked up his pricetag to an unpalatable level.

And he has an awesome cap hit to boot.  

If there’s one team that I want the Canucks to emulate out there, it’s Carolina.   Guys like Pesce and Teuravanien (sic) are on awesome cap friendly deals.   I also suspect that a guy like Sebastian Aho will take a good discount as well so that it gives Carolina a chance to win multiple cups one day via having enough cap space to build a deep team.  

I’m not sure exactly where the game is going in terms of a team’s cap structure (ie will the “Toronto model” be the future of hockey, or will we still continue to see some teams’ top players “buying in” and taking discounts so that their team can invest in more depth), but it will be interesting to see how things play out.

6 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Silly comment.

Last year Ovechkin 9.5 million. :frantic:

I"m going off board.A president of hockey operations.As JPat says "a wait a minute guy".Jim has struggled sailing this ship for to many years.His 3rd and 4th line overpay and to much term signings takes this boat toward the rocks.His drafting helps steer it back on course.This team needs a better navigator at the till to keep it in a straighter line to finish it's true course.

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

And he has an awesome cap hit to boot.  

If there’s one team that I want the Canucks to emulate out there, it’s Carolina.   Guys like Pesce and Teuravanien (sic) are on awesome cap friendly deals.   I also suspect that a guy like Sebastian Aho will take a good discount as well so that it gives Carolina a chance to win multiple cups one day via having enough cap space to build a deep team.  

I’m not sure exactly where the game is going in terms of a team’s cap structure (ie will the “Toronto model” be the future of hockey, or will we still continue to see some teams’ top players “buying in” and taking discounts so that their team can invest in more depth), but it will be interesting to see how things play out.

I think this 'current' "nobody makes infinity dollars" model is what will continue to be successful. There may be the odd exception, but like Vegas last year and everybody this year, there are 20 positions on the ice to fill. It's not basketball where one guy can literally drag you through a series (thanks Leonard!). You need very strong depth in every aspect to succeed.

If you end up like the Oilers or the Leafs, where you pay a small number of (yes, very good) players far too much money, the rest of the team is nonexistent and you'll still lose... because even if your 'line' can score 2 goals every single game, that doesn't matter when the rest of the team lets 3 by them with minimal production. IE, see Edmonton Oilers.

I also think that 'drafted' guys typically show a bit more of that "ok, cap friendly" deal mentality than some of the others. And I also believe that if we have players who do not want to fit that mentality, no matter how good (IE Boeser), they should be moved for the kings ransom that they'd likely get as GMs trip over themselves to get that player.

Eric Lindros never won a cup, but most of the guys he was traded for, did.

• Upvote 1

Lucic? Who would consider that a major acquisition? Guy is a borderline 4th liner, he'd be a major detriment. If you wanna waste money, waste it on Lee if he goes to Free Agency. Guy is better than Lucic at everything without the cheapshots and the roid rage. With the added perk of being younger.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Silly comment.

Last year Ovechkin 9.5 million. :frantic:

Well technically, I did say *above* 9.5 million.  :p

(although *technically* Ovie’s cap hit is slightly more than that as well).

My main point remains though:   Over the last 10 years or so, the cup winning teams all had cost controlled cap hits to their top superstars.  These Cost controlled cap hits to the star players weren’t ELC or “bridge” contracts either.  Period.  Yes, there were some contracts to some key players that had that status, but the top superstars of said team?  Nope.

Go take a look at Chicago (2010, 2013, 2015), LA (2012, 2014), and Boston (2011).  All of their top stars were on long term cap friendly contracts.   

Notice how during that time, the two best players in the world (Crosby and Ovechkin) did NOT win cups?   

What happened to Chicago and LA when Kane, Toews, and Kopitar received their 10 million dollar deals?   

What happened to Pittsburgh and Washington between 2016 and 2018 when Crosby and Ovechkin’s once extremely high AAV contracts were now relatively cap friendly? (Due to the overall increasing salary cap which lowered the percentage that those cap hits occupied on the team).

What were the cap structures of the teams that made the 2nd round this year?

That’s my whole point.   I would LOVE to have guys like Panarin and Karlsson here but NOT at 10.5-11 million.   Why?  Because - recent history has shown that any ONE player occupying too much cap space....no matter how good......will ultimately prevent his team from winning the big one.  Said team will lose to a team with cost controlled superstars + depth.

We are seeing it right now in Toronto.   The Leafs paid an arm and a leg for Tavares, and so Matthews and Nylander wanted to be paid at a premium as well.......and so will Marner, etc.

Perhaps I’m wrong, but I think the Leafs best chance of winning a cup was this year.   Now they simply won’t have the necessary depth needed to beat whoever becomes the next “alpha” of the east.   They will forever be a “bridesmaid.”

Lets not hope for the same thing in Vancouver.

Don’t pay any one player more than what Ovie’s cap hit was (Or Ovie’s cap hit in 2018 divided by whatever the cap was in 2018 = x. x multiplied by whatever the cap hit will be for 2019/2020).

9 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

I'd go with Trouba.

He'd be a great addition for sure, gizmo.  I don't think the Canucks have the pieces to make a trade though, as the Jets would want the 10th overall + one of our core players. Worth a try to see what they want though.

Probably the only way the Canucks get a top pairing RD is via a trade or pay for an older ufa player.  In a few years they will have the pieces to trade for a guy like Trouba without hurting the team.  Next years' UFAs have some awful good RDs that might fit the bill though.

Friedman said the Canucks like Ferland. I'm really skeptical of the idea.

I can see it now, Jim Benning on July 1st (after giving Ferland a big contract) bringing up the impact in the 2015 series & saying we need that on our team.

Which I'd agree, but his injuries, & idk if he's that player consistently.

He won't get as long of a contract, but I see some David Clarkson potential there. Personally, if Edmonton were to buy out Lucic, I'd rather sign him at a 1.5 on a 1 or 2 year deal than give Ferland a huge contract. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Friedman said the Canucks like Ferland. I'm really skeptical of the idea.

I can see it now, Jim Benning on July 1st (after giving Ferland a big contract) bringing up the impact in the 2015 series & saying we need that on our team.

Which I'd agree, but his injuries, & idk if he's that player consistently.

He won't get as long of a contract, but I see some David Clarkson potential there. Personally, if Edmonton were to buy out Lucic, I'd rather sign him at a 1.5 on a 1 or 2 year deal than give Ferland a huge contract. 

Agreed.

Ferland does seem like a risky investment at this point.   

Honestly just thinking about it, I think the best thing the Canucks can do in this off season is improving their defense.  

There’s obviously been a multitude of reasons as to why we’ve missed the playoff these last four years, but

1) a lack of depth on defense

2) Untimely injuries to Edler and Tanev

have been the biggest reasons in my opinion.

I’d honestly just go after both Gardiner and Myers.   Not because I think both guys can be great 2nd pairing dman that can possibly fill in on a first pairing (if we got either one of those guys for those reasons, we’d be severely disappointed), but because the presence of both Gardiner and Myers would ensure the following:

1) We would have atleast 5 or 6 dmen in the Line-up that wouldn’t look out of place on a top 4 pairing.

2) Our new found depth on defense could take less pressure off of Edler and Tanev which in effect, could reduce their injuries.

Over the last four years, the Canucks have looked like a Wildcard Caliber playoff team when relatively healthy.  

I think ensuring depth on defense would help the Canucks punch a playoff ticket.

On 5/13/2019 at 6:05 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

I said Panarin

But as an 'other' Anders Lee would be cool.

This i agree with. Panarin will draw interest from every other team. It may come down to where he thinks he can be successful when everyone throws the bank at him.

Lee is a bit more of the rough and tumble player i would like to see on Either Bo or Petes wing.  He can play also unlike a Lucic

• Like 1