The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks-Islanders

Tyler Madden (+ ????] for Bode Wilde?

Isles get a young promising center while we get a young promising RD.

What say you?  Too good to be true?  Or is this simply doggy doo?

edit - or, make it Gaudette for Wilde.   

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

I don’t see why the Isles would do this. Wilde was taken 27 spots ahead of Madden less than a year ago. And while Madden has looked very good so far. So has Wilde. 

Plus, generally speaking, big right shot D are worth more than undersized C’s 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t see why the Isles would do this. Wilde was taken 27 spots ahead of Madden less than a year ago. And while Madden has looked very good so far. So has Wilde. 

Plus, generally speaking, big right shot D are worth more than undersized C’s 

Fair enough.

If Madden for Wilde one for one wouldn’t be a fair deal, then what would the Canucks have to add?

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Fair enough.

If Madden for Wilde one for one wouldn’t be a fair deal, then what would the Canucks have to add?

Too much. Let them pan out first, no point in swapping lottery tickets and having to add more on top of it.

8 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Tyler Madden (+ ????] for Bode Wilde?

Isles get a young promising center while we get a young promising RD.

What say you?  Too good to be true?  Or is this simply doggy doo?

well, at least your not claiming that louie, chris and brandon are players that other teams would gladly give us their prizes to own.  madden won’t get us  wilde but your proposal  is closer to reality than many of the others are. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not bad. I feel like the Islanders would want another piece or two. Wilde was over a PPG in the OHL. He's going to boast a decent return. Maybe Madden + 2nd round pick or the equivalent to that.

This would be very tilted for Vancouver.   I like Wilde and wanted Vancouver to try and get him (or the Canes or Cats do the same).

I think a better trade for these two teams would be:

- Islanders have all those Cups (Vancouver not so much)

- Vancouver has all that wonderful scenery (Long Island....uh, no)

- so, the trade is "1982 Stanley Cup, with Canuck names and NHL official records changed on Cup and in HHOF/Record books, for one of BC's smaller Gulf Islands (I see you had one for sale recently on Real Estate publication I follow)."

This would be a true win-win trade and I could think of nothing that would drive Leaf, Oiler and Flames fans absolutely insane and would reset all things wrong with lottery luck etc.    

:)

• Haha 2

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Canucks-Islanders
24 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I'd honestly consider doing that.   

Gaudette for Wilde, with the hopes that Madden would eventually grow into the position that Gaudette is in now.

that is a trade where both teams come out with players that they can feel good about and  improves them at that position.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

that is a trade where both teams come out with players that they can feel good about and  improves them at that position.

That’s awesome if that’s true.

To be honest, I didn’t even look at or assess the Islanders’ needs when I came up with this proposal.   Just off the top of my head, it did seem like they had a slight “embarrassment of riches” in terms of RD prospects (Dobson and Wilde) and so that’s why I figures that they might bite on this.

It really would suck to lose Gaudette as I love the kid, but a move like this really would help address our biggest organizational need.  

Tyler Madden is also a good prospect and so I don’t think it’s completely unreasonable to assume that he could pretty much be where Adam Gaudette is now much sooner than later.

The Hockey News re-draft of 2018 had Madden at 31st and Wilde at 27.  To suggest that we would throw in a 2nd as well, seems lop-sided.  Madden was all the rage at the World Juniors.  He stood out and the coach leaned on him. We might throw in a 5th at the absolute most, but for me, keep Madden, he is a gem.  

• Upvote 1

Madden is playing incredibly well and I have grown attached to college players. They are the new Euros from the 90s early 2000s. You can draft some in the 3rd-5th round and they can become elite talent (not saying Madden will be elite but his potential intrigues me a lot). Especially since this kid was drafted at 150 pounds, and at nearly 6' he could easily put on like 20-30 pounds of muscle and not have it negatively effect his speed. Bode has the lower floor but I feel Madden has the higher ceiling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Why not keep Madden and offer Gaudette for Wilde instead?

Bode Wilde was drafted just last year and Gaudette is already turning 23 this year.   NYI needs more skills in their lineup.  They play dump & chase in part because their Ds are unable to carry the puck up the middle of the ice.  NYI got barely any offensive contribution from their Ds and will need more offence from the blue line to be able to contend.  It's not a trade that makes sense for them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Bode Wilde was drafted just last year and Gaudette is already turning 23 this year.   NYI needs more skills in their lineup.  They play dump & chase in part because their Ds are unable to carry the puck up the middle of the ice.  NYI got barely any offensive contribution from their Ds and will need more offence from the blue line to be able to contend.  It's not a trade that makes sense for them.

Thank you for the analysis mll.    :cool:

I’ll admit that my understanding of the Isles’ needs is quite weak and so I appreciate the insight.    I always forget how old Gaudette is as well.

In that case, I’d go back to my original offer of Madden for Wilde.  

You may be correct that the Isles will need more offense from their D, but they also have Noah Dobson waiting in the wings.

Isles probably still say no here but I don’t think  it hurts to ask.

Going slightly off topic here, but I think the Canucks should seriously consider moving one of Gaudette or Madden for a good young RD defensive prospect, whether that ends up being Bode Wilde or someone else.

33 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Dman, big body, drafted 2nd round, had a great offensive season last year. 

And you are offering late round drafted propects like Madden / Gaudette? Don't think so dude. 

Madden himself had a VERY stellar season last year.  Earlier in the thread, one poster mentioned the fact that in a recent re-draft done by hockey experts, Wilde would have been ranked 27th while Madden would have been 31st.

Perhaps the gap between Madden and Wilde isn’t as great as you think?   Perhaps Madden + a very small add on Vancouver’s part might be able to land Wilde?  

6 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Thank you for the analysis mll.    :cool:

I’ll admit that my understanding of the Isles’ needs is quite weak and so I appreciate the insight.    I always forget how old Gaudette is as well.

In that case, I’d go back to my original offer of Madden for Wilde.  

You may be correct that the Isles will need more offense from their D, but they also have Noah Dobson waiting in the wings.

Isles probably still say no here but I don’t think  it hurts to ask.

Going slightly off topic here, but I think the Canucks should seriously consider moving one of Gaudette or Madden for a good young RD defensive prospect, whether that ends up being Bode Wilde or someone else.

There's really no incentive for them to move him just one year after his draft.  A 6'3 right shot D is a pretty valuable asset and his development is on track.

Not sure Gaudette would draw much interest.  He doesn't have NHL pace yet and could use some more development time in the AHL.  For now he looks like a prospect that a lot of teams already have. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1