The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada to spend $16 Billion on new Coast Guard Ships - Irving's Rewarded

Rob_Zepp

On 5/30/2019 at 2:46 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Personally I could give a **** about that so as long it goes to those really in need.  What bothers me is sending these guys in harms way without the proper equipment to defend themselves.  

what bothers me is why people still sign up for the military only to get sent away for some stupid bull$&!# and discarded by the government once you return. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

what bothers me is why people still sign up for the military only to get sent away for some stupid bull$&!# and discarded by the government once you return. 

What are the most honorable jobs after being a parent?  First responders, and military.  We sure as heck don't do a very good job with valuing parents and military people like we should.  Even with first responders, do we do a good job recognizing and compensating these people properly?

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What are the most honorable jobs after being a parent?  First responders, and military.  We sure as heck don't do a very good job with valuing parents and military people like we should.  Even with first responders, do we do a good job recognizing and compensating these people properly?

I thought of going into law enforcement..... but i realized that i had no passion for donuts.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I always though Nursing and Teaching were 2 honorable professions....  too bad both of them are tough jobs with crap pay so we can't get young people to go into either of them.....

Nurses make approximately 75k minimum per year without OT, which they can work at will. Such crap pay.

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Nurses make approximately 75k minimum per year without OT, which they can work at will. Such crap pay.

Chump change for all the university they do...   working weekends and evenings.....   abuse they have to take on the job.

Alot of deductions taken off their cheques.. eg dues...     

21 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Hahahahahahaha chump change. How many people do you know that would kill to make like $33+ per hour. Not to mention time and half OT which as Gurn pointed out, is almost mandatory OT.

You make it seem like they are working for free. And those dues you speak of helps them get that meager wage they earn. But really, outside of union dues, they have the same deductions as every other worker out there. CPP and EI cap out at that wage level so pretty much every paycheck after September doesn't have those deductions anymore.

Sure it's a hard job, but they know this ahead of time before they accept the job.

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Gurn pointed out, is almost mandatory OT.

I said 

2 hours ago, gurn said:

In many places they are not allowed to turn down OT.

This means when the employer tells you to stay you HAVE TO. So you say sorry to your kids, and miss your 6 year old's birthday, your cousins wedding or whatever the heck else you were planning on doing.

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

How many people do you know that would kill to make like $33+ per hour.

I don't know anyone that would kill to make that money. I know a lot of people would like to make that money, many wouldn't pass the required courses and many after passing would find themselves incapable of doing the  actual job. 

Edit

I also know a lot of people that would not take a pay cut to do that hard a job.

Edited by gurn
added a bit at the end

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I hope future planes can run on auto pilot....

Defence Watch podcast: Beards, dope and families — How the Canadian military plans to attract a new generation of recruits

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/defence-watch-podcast-beards-dope-and-families-how-the-canadian-military-plans-to-attract-a-new-generation-of-recruits

You always criticize the military

• 8 months later...

Canadian Navy short 850 sailors

Canadian Coast Guard short  1,000 sailors

Canadian merchant fleet short  5,000 sailors over next 10 years.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/royal-canadian-navy-coast-guard-short-hundreds-of-sailors-1.4833232

OTTAWA -- It's been billed as the largest-ever investment in the Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Coast Guard during a time of peace.

Over the next decade, the federal government will invest tens of billions of dollars into new science ships, icebreakers, supply vessels and warships.

Yet as they prepare to welcome those new ships with open arms, given the age of their current fleets, top officials at both the navy and coast guard are wrestling with a difficult but critical question: Who will sail the vessels?

That is because the Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Coast Guard need hundreds more sailors between them. And while the situation isn't critical yet, it has become one of the top priorities for both services.

"It's good to get all those resources, all this new technology and new ships," Canadian Coast Guard Commissioner Mario Pelletier said in a recent interview. "But without people, I'm not going to be able to operate or to support or to manage the operations. So I need people."

The coast guard says up to 15 per cent of its positions are currently vacant, representing a shortfall of roughly 1,000 people. While that alone is cause for concern, the organization released a business plan last year that noted the workforce is also getting older.

The same business plan identified recruitment as "one of the most difficult challenges" for the organization -- an assessment echoed by Pelletier. It is for those reasons that he identified recruitment as well as retention as a key focus when he became commissioner in December.

Vice-Admiral Art McDonald, who took over as commander of the Royal Canadian Navy last June, has the same priority: getting more young men and women to sign up to sail with the navy, which is short roughly 850 members.

The shortfall is manageable now, but McDonald said the concern is what would happen should the navy find itself needing to dramatically ramp up its operations -- something that can't be ruled out given the current state of the world.

"So on one hand, my broad message to you is it's very manageable, the shortfalls we're currently experiencing," he said. "But in a volatile world where we may be required to do more, we need to be able to push to fill those numbers in -- and we are."

The navy and coast guard are not alone when it comes to having trouble recruiting new sailors. Canada's entire marine industry is facing a similar shortage of bodies, as older sailors leave faster than they can be replaced and new technology sparks shortages of certain skills.

"We've identified a shortage over the next five to 10 years of about 5,000 people," said Bruce Burrows, president of the Chamber of Marine Commerce. "And we are having to temporarily bring, for example, foreign captains."

Why aren't people considering a career in the navy, coast guard or marine industry? Officials have previously cited the fight for employees at a time when unemployment is low and many people don't want to be away from home for long periods of time.

Yet McDonald, Pelletier and Burrows all cite a lack of awareness. McDonald calls it "maritime blindness." Not only have most Canadians never been on -- or perhaps even close to -- a large vessel, but those interviewed believe there is a misconception about the job.

Burrows is quick to list the many ways in which the industry has tried to become more appealing, including shorter stints at sea, more emphasis on high-tech skills as vessels have become more modern, and better food and connectivity to home.

The navy, meanwhile, has been implementing wireless networks onto its ships so sailors can stay connected to home while highlighting the ability to learn new skills in a fast-paced environment.

"We just have to get our story out," McDonald said. "And what millennials and others are looking for is a chance to do a relevant job where they get to shape what the output is and have a voice to be heard and to contribute."

The federal government and industry teamed up in January to create the Canadian Marine Industry Foundation, whose purpose will be to promote careers in the marine sector and bring in much-needed new blood.

For McDonald, the stakes are high over the next few years.

"My concern is being 850 down this year, we need to get those people in. We have a message that we're hiring because robustness, resilience and our ability to fully meet the surge if we get asked to do more than we're doing now means that I need those extra people to come in."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 29, 2020.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:30 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Chump change for all the university they do...   working weekends and evenings.....   abuse they have to take on the job.

Alot of deductions taken off their cheques.. eg dues...     

Job security and demand ensure what is a very decent wage is something that can be banked on throughout an entire working career. Which can't be stated for many other career choices requiring university education.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:40 PM, Violator said:

Time for one year mandatory military service?

No thanks.  Our military is one of the best trained in the world.  Once you start adding people who don't want to be there, that standard slips.  Even something as simple as better preparing enlisted men/women for a civilian career once their service is done would be helpful.

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

No thanks.  Our military is one of the best trained in the world.  Once you start adding people who don't want to be there, that standard slips.  Even something as simple as better preparing enlisted men/women for a civilian career once their service is done would be helpful.

I think it would give people a good opportunity and then you can recruit and pay those people better.

Just now, Violator said:

I think it would give people a good opportunity and then you can recruit and pay those people better.

So why not make the opportunity clearer so you can do that without forcing unwilling people to lay their lives on the line?  I'd rather use the carrot before the stick here.  I also don't see any party risking re-introducing conscription in peacetime; it would be political suicide.

46 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So why not make the opportunity clearer so you can do that without forcing unwilling people to lay their lives on the line?  I'd rather use the carrot before the stick here.  I also don't see any party risking re-introducing conscription in peacetime; it would be political suicide.

Forced mandatory service could alleviate the need for Reservists to maintain bases, depot and squadrons.  Allowing for reg force members to be deployed in better tactical situations.  Also allowing for the forces to increase in size to respond to natural disasters (ie, floods, snowmageddon, etc).

But I don't see Canada forcing mandatory service at all.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/coast-guard-spending-dollar12-million-refurbishing-icebreaker-edward-cornwallis/ar-BB10DKiS?ocid=spartandhp

"

HALIFAX — The coast guard is announcing it will spend $12.1 million refurbishing a light icebreaker at a shipyard on Nova Scotia's south shore.

Fisheries Minister Bernadette Jordan was in Shelburne, N.S., today to say the government will be funding repair work on the Canadian Coast Guard ship Edward Cornwallis, supporting 55 jobs at the Irving-owned Shelburne Ship Repair. 

Advertisement

The work is expected to begin in April and last until January 2021.

A release says the repairs include the replacement of main engines, a new heavy-lift crane, a new bow thruster and hull coating.

The vessel will also undergo regulatory work such as inspecting the tail shafts, seals, stern tubes, propellers and rudder.

The 34-year-old icebreaker was launched in 1986 after being built by Marine Industries in Tracy, Que.

Under the national shipbuilding strategy, more than $7.5 billion in contracts has been awarded under the repair, refit and maintenance program.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 2, 2020.

The Canadian Press"

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, Violator said:

Time for one year mandatory military service?

I use to like this idea but after doing research on countries that make it an obligation for military service their troops never seem to be ranked out high as far as training and morale.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:01 PM, gurn said:

More like time to increase the wages, isn't that how capitalism works?

You have to be joking. When it comes to wage and benefits Canadian troops are arguably the best paid in the world.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:14 PM, King Heffy said:

Exactly

On 3/2/2020 at 11:17 PM, BPA said:

Forced mandatory service could alleviate the need for Reservists to maintain bases, depot and squadrons.  Allowing for reg force members to be deployed in better tactical situations.  Also allowing for the forces to increase in size to respond to natural disasters (ie, floods, snowmageddon, etc).

But I don't see Canada forcing mandatory service at all.

Again at one time I supported this and then realized countries that Force mandatory service have poorly trained forces. I believe Germany recently stop this.