The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

17 minutes ago, mll said:

Boedker is 3M vs 9M for Eriksson.

That's misleading - it's 1 vs 3 seasons - and Eriksson's 9 m gets you 18 million of cap hit.

When people say things like "Ottawa doesn't want to" I tend to tune out.  It's pretentious.

LE and Baertschi would cost 4.36 million vs Boedker's 3 salary /4 cap = marginal difference this year (with a lot of cap expiring)  - I think you're trying too hard to speak for Ottawa here and looking at it in reductive sound bites rather than the larger context.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's misleading - it's 1 vs 3 seasons - and Eriksson's 9 m gets you 18 million of cap hit.

When people say things like "Ottawa doesn't want to" I tend to tune out.  It's pretentious.

LE and Baertschi would cost 4.36 million vs Boedker's 3 salary /4 cap = marginal difference this year (with a lot of cap expiring)  - I think you're trying too hard to speak for Ottawa here and looking at it in convenient sound bites that reductive to the larger context.

They have young players coming off their ELCs and their RFAs needing their 2nd contracts before Eriksson's contract is up.  

55 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If I may be pretentious...

Should Lucic and Eriksson both be traded, dollars to donuts Eriksson gets the better return.  In fact, I suspect most people will be surprised at the return for him.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If I may be pretentious...

Should Lucic and Eriksson both be traded, dollars to donuts Eriksson gets the better return.  In fact, I suspect most people will be surprised at the return for him.

You're not pretending to speak for franchises there - you are simply stating the somewhat obvious - Lucic's production is worse, his contract is longer, he owns a No Movement Clause through expansion - I don't think it's pretentious to believe that pushes him further into negative value.

I hope to be 'surprised' by the 'return' for LE.  I'm not expecting a 'positive' return, but I don't think it will be as negative as some people might.

I am 'expecting' better than an LE Lucic hockey trade.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Eriksson =

perimeter, ghost like play. 

Lucic= in your face, game changing crusher, in the crease work. Wears down opponents D.

sticks up for premium, and all team members. Vocal

If this “swap” was going to happen, it wouldn’t bother me one bit. He waived his NTC and based on his play is exposed or not in the Seattle expansion.. where he might be needed.

Nothing about Lucic is game changing. Have you seen him play the last couple seasons. He’s a figment of a shell of his former self in Boston. He moves about as quick as wounded buck. He’s far behind today’s NHL. No thanks. 

• Upvote 2

why are we still talking about god damn LUCIC, we dont need his slow fatass on our team, we have Ferland and JT Miller, who are better than LUCIC.

LUCIC is just a big player thats it, doesnt bring anything to todays NHL which is speed and skill. 

MY 2 year old nephew can prob run faster than LUCIC , 

• Thanks 2
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

why are we still talking about god damn LUCIC, we dont need his slow fatass on our team, we have Ferland and JT Miller, who are better than LUCIC.

LUCIC is just a big player thats it, doesnt bring anything to todays NHL which is speed and skill. 

MY 2 year old nephew can prob run faster than LUCIC , 

You can’t deliver almost 300 hits and not have any speed. I hate hearing people say how slow he is now. :picard:

Edited by grandmaster
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You can’t deliver almost 300 hits and not have any speed. I hate hearing people say how slow he is now. :picard:

well we could have had 369 hits per 82 by keeping Schenn.   at far greater cost efficiency.

of course, Schenn would have to be speedy to get 369 hits, right?

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

well we could have had 369 hits per 82 by keeping Schenn.   at far greater cost efficiency.

of course, Schenn would have to be speedy to get 369 hits, right?

I was just going to say that everyone thought Schenn was slow and done in the league and suddenly he became a fan favourite with posters once again criticizing Benning for not re-signing him and suggesting to over pay him to get him to stay here (where the same people criticize Benning also for doing, seems like a trend here).

Not saying I'd do a Lucic for LE swap, but we have to look at comparing LE to Lucic and not how he is as a player himself where we all know he's overpaid for what he brings currently. Once Lucic throws a few bruising hits, people will be glad we moved him for LE (but can still acknowledge that he's overpaid). LE can play a good defensive game, but we have many players that can play that same role if needed. I'd say Lucic will make guys like Miller and Ferland feel even bigger with more backup. Any performance boost from Lucic himself will be a bonus.

Add in the fact LE will be a distraction now, so it's a benefit to simply move on from him. Plus add in that we may/should get a decent sweetener. IMO Puljujarvi isn't enough because if he isn't good enough to crack our team just yet and we waive him and he's gets claimed then we got nothing or if we keep him on the roster for fear of him being taken, then he eats up a roster spot that could be going to someone more deserving. If Edmonton retains 1.5 million a season on the deal, that changes the complexity of this, which "saves" us the cap space spread out over the contract.

I think there are going to be some interesting reactions if a trade like this were to occur and I'll say my piece, but I think we simply have to wait for it all to play out and see what happens when the games are played.

37 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Lucic's biggest struggle with the Oilers - imho - has been his inability to play at the pace of speedier forwards. They anticipated he would be a good fit with McDavid and Draisaitl but the main reason he isnt is that they dont play a dump and chase style that plays to Lucic style, they play a speedy, off the rush style to gain the zone. That has never been where Lucic has fit. 

Look at the Canucks roster now with the offseason additions. It is CLEAR that Green wants his top 6 especially to maintain control of the puck to generate offensive time, but arguably wants a 4 line team that can play an uptempo style. 

That is not Lucic's game at all. He would get his hits as a bottom 6 guy but is not going to recapture his offensive ability in that environment. He is still a decent player that can addto a team i think. Just not at all a fit for the way Green and Benning want to play.

His contract is even worse than Eriksson's too so unless its a 1st round pick unprotected as a sweetener, I would say no. Unless they retain 50% and he waives any nmc going forward. At 3 mil and with Eriksson gone I would say yes. But expect him to be the 13th forward a lot.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I agree - I think there needs to be more than merely throwing in Goldobin and calling it a day.

LE may makes sense for Ottawa with the right value added - but it's not a deal in a vacuum - their cap leverage applies to the whole market - ie lots of teams would probably like to do business with them, so you still have to compete with what other teams are willing to add as compensation.  LE's contract structure might moderate that - and his production still could give him a relative edge, but I think it'll still probably take more than simply Goldobin.

You could take a Boedker dump as well for example (7 goals/35 pts) = 4 million cap/salary, no signing bonus.  HIs production was poor - had over 50% ozone starts, 41.2% corsi...and he expires next year, so what is he to Ottawa?   Expendable - and relative to LE in the present, he is negative value. I'd also consider adding Baertschi to a deal particularly if it's Zack Smith coming the other way as opposed to a cap dump like Boedker.

What about Zack Smith and Boedker for LE and Schaller? Cap hit is 7.25 for Vancouver and 7.9 for Ottawa. Salary for next season is 6.25 for Vancouver and 4.9 for Ottawa. Key thing is lowering the term for us. Schaller "replaces" Smith and LE swaps for Boedker. We could waive Boedker and save another million in cap space and he's gone in a year. Perhaps we add a small sweetener as well as they are taking on more salary for the long term, but gain the cap benefits.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

What about Zack Smith and Boedker for LE and Schaller? Cap hit is 7.25 for Vancouver and 7.9 for Ottawa. Salary for next season is 6.25 for Vancouver and 4.9 for Ottawa. Key thing is lowering the term for us. Schaller "replaces" Smith and LE swaps for Boedker. We could waive Boedker and save another million in cap space and he's gone in a year. Perhaps we add a small sweetener as well as they are taking on more salary for the long term, but gain the cap benefits.

We would have to add to make the deal happen, but would be worth doing. Smith would add some grit into our bottom 6 might fit well on the Beagle line

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Nothing about Lucic is game changing. Have you seen him play the last couple seasons. He’s a figment of a shell of his former self in Boston. He moves about as quick as wounded buck. He’s far behind today’s NHL. No thanks. 

That just isn’t true.  The people who actually watch him say his speed isn’t an issue.  His hit totals make it clear that he is keeping up.  He isn’t a speedster, just isn’t molasses.  Just like Schenn turned out to not be nearly as slow as the hand wringers moaned about.

They say his hands have gone, that is something you might be able to get back, where legs just age worse and worse.

Edited by Provost
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

That just isn’t true.  The people who actually watch him say his speed isn’t an issue.  His hit totals make it clear that he is keeping up.

They say his hands have gone, that is something you might be able to get back, where legs just age worse and worse.

I have watched him play a lot. He is not fast by any stretch of the imagination and struggles to keep up with speedier forwards. He was never really fast and is slowing relative to the game around him.

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

That just isn’t true.  The people who actually watch him say his speed isn’t an issue.  His hit totals make it clear that he is keeping up.  He isn’t a speedster, just isn’t molasses.  Just like Schenn turned out to not be nearly as slow as the hand wringers moaned about.

What about my original post wasn’t true?

30 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

We would have to add to make the deal happen, but would be worth doing. Smith would add some grit into our bottom 6 might fit well on the Beagle line

I mentioned that we would need to add a small sweetener, so it'll depend on what that would be. I agree that Smith would be a nice addition.

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

That doesn't mean that they were good and well timed hits, or that he was able to get back into the play in time to prevent a goal.

Lots of players out there will take a hit to draw someone out of position and make a high opportunity play.

Lucic's foot speed is an issue in today's NHL. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be having this discussion, and Edmonton wouldn't be looking for ANYONE willing to take his contract on at 6 million per.

Eriksson is a far more valuable player than Lucic at this point. He can skate and isn't a liability on the ice.

Lucic averages 13.16 minutes on the ice per night, slightly above 4th line average

Eriksson averages 14.40 minutes on the ice per night. Solid 3rd line minutes.

I know that might not seem like that much of a difference, but it reflects the fact that Eriksson is still and effective 3rd line guy who can fore check at least.

Lucic, even on a team that is has 2 of the greatest centers in the game, a team that's dying from secondary scoring, couldn't even get himself into position to collect points off of a player who could literally make a fire Hydrant a 40 point play if it just sat in one place and let him deflect pucks off it.

Lucic represents a style of play that's at least 10 years old. He was slow when he came into the league, and is getting slower by the season.

We don't need an extra year of having a guy at 6 million cap hit who can't play.

WE DON'T NEED HIM HERE!

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That doesn't mean that they were good and well timed hits, or that he was able to get back into the play in time to prevent a goal.

Lots of players out there will take a hit to draw someone out of position and make a high opportunity play.

Lucic's foot speed is an issue in today's NHL. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be having this discussion, and Edmonton wouldn't be looking for ANYONE willing to take his contract on at 6 million per.

Eriksson is a far more valuable player than Lucic at this point. He can skate and isn't a liability on the ice.

Lucic averages 13.16 minutes on the ice per night, slightly above 4th line average

Eriksson averages 14.40 minutes on the ice per night. Solid 3rd line minutes.

I know that might not seem like that much of a difference, but it reflects the fact that Eriksson is still and effective 3rd line guy who can fore check at least.

Lucic, even on a team that is has 2 of the greatest centers in the game, a team that's dying from secondary scoring, couldn't even get himself into position to collect points off of a player who could literally make a fire Hydrant a 40 point play if it just sat in one place and let him deflect pucks off it.

Lucic represents a style of play that's at least 10 years old. He was slow when he came into the league, and is getting slower by the season.

We don't need an extra year of having a guy at 6 million cap hit who can't play.

WE DON'T NEED HIM HERE!

Your false logic does not explain how Lucic was a -9 and your Eriksson was a -11. Tell me now, how was it that Lucic was caught out of play so much more than Eriksson.

It’s pretty simple. You have to skate to hit and Lucic is one of the league leaders for hitting players. He doesn’t get caught like you claim he does.

One that other point in trends for the NHL. I guess you must have missed who won the Cup this year right?

The Blues physically punished their opponents into submission. Take notes pal.

The great thing going for the Canucks is that they have a team that will have more skill with the potential of having such a premier physical prescience.

Edited by grandmaster