The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Possibly... but nothing good ever come out from criticising your coach usage of you...

In particular if you are not performing to standards that could be expected.

There has been nothing to suggest he has been a locker room cancer. He is a player, who hasn't lived up to his cap hit... and at times not looked like he had much interest in trying to do so neither...

Best for all parties if he departs...

I haven't been happy with Loui's play, but what he said really isn't that big of a deal.  The talk about terminating contracts over that alone is ridiculous.

Trevor Linden got testy when Alain Vigneault was healthy scratching him in his final year.  I thought Linden was playing well enough that he shouldn't have been scratched, but even he, the ultimate team guy as far as everyone is concerned, wasn't hiding his feelings from reporters.  He wasn't talking smack about the coach, but he also wasn't saying what people seem to want to hear from Loui...  "Yeah, I'm playing like crap, I'm lucky to get into the lineup when I do, it's on me to play better..."

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

He was given plenty of time with the Sedins. 

He was also given ample time playing with Bo on the second line.  

He spent a good amount of time with Pete early on as well.  

To say he hasn’t been given a chance is putting on major blinders.  

He failed to produce.  Period.  

He called out a players coach, who always defended him.  Silly move for sure.  

And his effort is piss poor. 

Having said all that, if he was only getting 2 million I wouldn’t complain about any of that.   But he isn’t.   

He is getting paid like a top player, but failing miserably.  

I doubt his trade value will go up at all. 

Id say Utica until his agent can find him a way out 

He has played 196 games for us and has accumulated 76 points. The first season I think he played 50 games and I am not sure how many of those were with the Twins. The next year he did play with various other players including Bo but he was already also being used defensively. Last year was exclusively defensive responsibilities. Very little PP time.

For the most part his defensive game is fine and he is definitely lower in his offense output but do you really need to wine so much?

I did not see his overall effort as "piss poor" as he did not float around like the Sedins did in their latter years. He will go into the corners and he will forecheck as he was used on the Pk on a regular basis. 

Its funny how many on here will fight tooth and nail for players such as Hutton,Gaunce and Pouliot but are quick to punt out a player who at least has the talent to still be effective in the NHL.

I am not defending him and giving him a free pass for his underperformance so far but I think he is just a victim of circumstance and is reacting to how things have gone since his time here in Vancouver. He has drifted very far away from playing with 2 elite superstars, as what he probably expected signing here, to playing with 3rd and 4th liners on a rebuilding team. 

The Sedins had lost their lackluster by the time he got here and Bo was in the midst of developing, as is Petey, so he really hasn't been paired up with anyone who he can gel with and produce at a level he needs to be at. 

I really think the negative nancy's are a little too animated on this subject and need to look at it in a more positive note. Yes he has underperformed but I think he needs to at least be afforded the opportunity to play his way out of this mess he has found himself in and give the team at least a fighting chance of getting out of this rather unscathed. The only way to do that is play the crap out of him and trade him at the deadline for what ever value he has brought himself up to. Anything else and the club is going to lose bigtime, unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I haven't been happy with Loui's play, but what he said really isn't that big of a deal.  The talk about terminating contracts over that alone is ridiculous.

Trevor Linden got testy when Alain Vigneault was healthy scratching him in his final year.  I thought Linden was playing well enough that he shouldn't have been scratched, but even he, the ultimate team guy as far as everyone concerned, wasn't hiding his feelings from reporters.  He wasn't talking smack about the coach, but he also wasn't saying what people seem to want to hear from Loui...  "Yeah, I'm playing like crap, I'm lucky to get into the lineup when I do, it's on me to play better..."

His contract should be terminated based on his performance... However, if you are not performing well, complaining about the coach's usage of you, won't help your cause.

If he was/is interested in staying in Vancouver, he could and maybe should just have said thing weren't going to plan, but hopefully they would improve.

If he think he's been playing well enough, then he is as delusional at Timraafan (Eriksson mother).

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Its funny how many on here will fight tooth and nail for players such as Hutton,Gaunce and Pouliot but are quick to punt out a player who at least has the talent to still be effective in the NHL.

Show me who is fighting for any of those players and imma hit them with some knowledge!

Pouliot ? More damage when he is on the ice then off.

Gaunce went to Boston and is dead to me/ career AHLer

Hutton? If he was soooooooo good why is he still unsigned? (He's not very good)

3 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Show me who is fighting for any of those players and imma hit them with some knowledge!

Pouliot ? More damage when he is on the ice then off.

Gaunce went to Boston and is dead to me/ career AHLer

Hutton? If he was soooooooo good why is he still unsigned? (He's not very good)

I have been on these boards long enough to see this. I am with you but there are guys out there who thought they should have stayed. Do a little research if you don't believe me. They are probably the same guys who made bold predictions before last season started, and then, I only heard crickets when the season was over.:lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

He has played 196 games for us and has accumulated 76 points. The first season I think he played 50 games and I am not sure how many of those were with the Twins. The next year he did play with various other players including Bo but he was already also being used defensively. Last year was exclusively defensive responsibilities. Very little PP time.

For the most part his defensive game is fine and he is definitely lower in his offense output but do you really need to wine so much?

I did not see his overall effort as "piss poor" as he did not float around like the Sedins did in their latter years. He will go into the corners and he will forecheck as he was used on the Pk on a regular basis. 

I am not defending him and giving him a free pass for his underperformance so far but I think he is just a victim of circumstance and is reacting to how things have gone since his time here in Vancouver. He has drifted very far away from playing with 2 elite superstars, as what he probably expected signing here, to playing with 3rd and 4th liners on a rebuilding team. 

The Sedins had lost their lackluster by the time he got here and Bo was in the midst of developing, as is Petey, so he really hasn't been paired up with anyone who he can gel with and produce at a level he needs to be at. 

I really think the negative nancy's are a little too animated on this subject and need to look at it in a more positive note. Yes he has underperformed but I think he needs to at least be afforded the opportunity to play his way out of this mess he has found himself in and give the team at least a fighting chance of getting out of this rather unscathed. The only way to do that is play the crap out of him and trade him at the deadline for what ever value he has brought himself up to. Anything else and the club is going to lose bigtime, unfortunately.

Did you even read the post you replied to?  

He is a victim of circumstance sure. 

He is  a victim of his contract

like I said, if he was getting 2 mill I’d be fine with it.  

But he is getting big money and not earning it.   

And bever once have i defended Hutton, Gaunce, or Poouliot. 

2 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

His comments to the media were not as bad as you claim, not by a longshot. He stated the obvious, aka Green doesnt trust him as much as he was previously trusted on other teams. And he stated, also quite obviously, that its a struggle to put up the offense he still feels he is capable of while playing a defensive role.

His comments were from his own perspective. He did not say anything all that bad about Green.

I beleive Eriksson would be one that is considered to be part of the “leadership group” on the Canucks..  

there is no room for that would tolerate that from a 6 million dollar man who is over 30 years old, with a world class pedigree, or longetivity that casts into the NHL.

19 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

...you can't. Some thing called a contract.  :shock:

"You can spend 3 years in the AHL riding busses for a coach who is under orders to never dress you for a game and bag skate you every single day, or you can agree to go to the ECHL.  Either way, you will never play another game for either Vancouver or Utica.  Up to you how badly you want to play, you ungrateful bum."

You can't make him go, but you can make him so miserable that he might want to consider it.  Eriksson's comments justify that kind of hardball in order to get rid of him.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You can't make him go,

No you can't. End of story. This isn't some stupid cheesy movie pal.

NHL teams are run by professionals. They don't strong arm players they signed for the NHL to go to the echl.

Stupid theory. :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No you can't. End of story. This isn't some stupid cheesy movie pal.

NHL teams are run by professionals. They don't strong arm players they signed for the NHL to go to the echl.

Stupid theory. :picard:

If they don't want him to play in the NHL or in the AHL because they want more deserving players to play there, what other choice is there.  Erkisson brought this on himself with his disrespectful comments about Green.  Just because the Canucks have to pay this worthless sack of manure doesn't mean they have to let him on the ice.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

"You can spend 3 years in the AHL riding busses for a coach who is under orders to never dress you for a game and bag skate you every single day, or you can agree to go to the ECHL.  Either way, you will never play another game for either Vancouver or Utica.  Up to you how badly you want to play, you ungrateful bum."

You can't make him go, but you can make him so miserable that he might want to consider it.  Eriksson's comments justify that kind of hardball in order to get rid of him.

This sounds like it was written in the 80's. Holding a player accountable is not the same as punitively attempting to destroy their career as a strongarm tactic to get them to break a signed and guaranteed contract.

At the very least, the Canucks would be sued for breach of contract if they tried to coerce him into terminating his contract under duress. All Eriksson would have to prove is that he is a better option for Utica than one player there. Thats a low threshold that he could easily prove. No arbitrator or judge would believe he isn't.

No AHL coach would ever do this to a player now anyway if he wants any shot at getting a coaching job in the NHL. And no organization would demand it. Well, maybe the Rangers or Maple Leafs would. 

His comments in no way justify this. You are just overblowing it to fit your hate narrative.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

This sounds like it was written in the 80's. Holding a player accountable is not the same as punitively attempting to destroy their career as a strongarm tactic to get them to break a signed and guaranteed contract.

At the very least, the Canucks would be sued for breach of contract if they tried to coerce him into terminating his contract under duress. All Eriksson would have to prove is that he is a better option for Utica than one player there. Thats a low threshold that he could easily prove. No arbitrator or judge would believe he isn't.

No AHL coach would ever do this to a player now anyway if he wants any shot at getting a coaching job in the NHL. And no organization would demand it. Well, maybe the Rangers or Maple Leafs would. 

His comments in no way justify this. You are just overblowing it to fit your hate narrative.

Eriksson would have a damn tough time  proving he's a better option than anyone in Utica.    How many guys do they have down their who won't hit, score, skate, or keep their mouths shut?  In addition, the AHL has a veteran limit so he would have to prove he's a better option than their vets, not the whole team.  He won't be able to do that to the satisfaction of a competent arbitrator.

The contract termination is a bonus.  Eriksson simply doesn't belong on the ice, taking away development time from more deserving players who have a chance to become legitimate NHLers.  To suggest Eriksson would have the lack of character to think suing is a legitimate option for coaches sticking his useless ass in the press box, where it belongs, says everything about what kind of a human being he is.

His comments absolutely justify this; I have defended him multiple times before he opened his entitled mouth and spewed his ignorant garbage about a coach who had done nothing but stick up for him.

Edited by King Heffy

Just now, King Heffy said:

Eriksson would have a damn tough time  proving he's a better option than anyone in Utica.    How many guys do they have down their who won't hit, score, skate, or keep their mouths shut?

Do you know anything about evaluating a hockey player?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I beleive Eriksson would be one that is considered to be part of the “leadership group” on the Canucks..  

there is no room for that would tolerate that from a 6 million dollar man who is over 30 years old, with a world class pedigree, or longetivity that casts into the NHL.

Completely disagree.  Players don't give two sh!ts about "media reports".  I highly doubt there will be any difference in the dressing room because of it.

All he did was answer questions, that's it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

Completely disagree.  Players don't give two sh!ts about "media reports".  I highly doubt there will be any difference in the dressing room because of it.

All he did was answer questions, that's it.

This

Players actually laugh at how seriously stuff like this gets taken by the media and fans.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Eriksson would have a damn tough time  proving he's a better option than anyone in Utica.    How many guys do they have down their who won't hit, score, skate, or keep their mouths shut?  In addition, the AHL has a veteran limit so he would have to prove he's a better option than their vets, not the whole team.  He won't be able to do that to the satisfaction of a competent arbitrator.

The contract termination is a bonus.  Eriksson simply doesn't belong on the ice, taking away development time from more deserving players who have a chance to become legitimate NHLers.

Sorry, his numbers don't support your claims.  He is a decent to good 4th line option if they can't move him.  Obviously he doesn't have and automatic spot and has to outperform other guys for that role, but he is capable of playing well.

• Upvote 1