• Signs with Canucks 1-2 years 7 mill or less
    • Signs with canucks 1-2 years more than 7 mill
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years show me the money more then 7 mill
    • Signs else where more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs else where more then 2 years 7 mill or more show me the money
    • signs else where absolutely 8 million-9million 4-5 years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2019 at 11:22 AM

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Boeser suffered a serious injury from an "Accidental Play". He proved AFTER that he can still produce offensively ,as his point totals show from last season.

Edler showed signs of a decline in foot speed last year and its not going to get better. Remember how quickly the Sedins footspeed and reactions left them? 

I am not sure he will last even "2/3 seasons".

Wasn't Edlers injury this season accidental play? 

I still wonder how fans will treat Boeser if he only play 60 games a season...  

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Rule of thumb: a good young player even only playing 60 games a season is likely to be favoured over a declining 33 year old playing 60 games a season. It's not about how they're being treated. It's about the reality of the situation and what's going to be better for us in the long run.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

i argue the fact that most people seem to think that baercheese is worth nothing now because of his injuries and other gm's won't want him but those same people won't apply the same principle to eddie and other gm's will ignore that and sign him for big dollars at a fairly long term..

Sorry but thats simply not realistic, like buying a Porsche with 300-400,000 kms on it and all banged up..

One look at the odometer would catch one's attention and only someone with large amounts of cash would even consider it but that's not the case in Eddie's situation since we're obviously in the salary cap era... 

I'm sure we'd all like to keep him but at a point why keep a money pit when you have other places to spend it  i.e. petey, brock, and others as they come up... 

Edited by iceman64

32 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Rule of thumb: a good young player even only playing 60 games a season is likely to be favoured over a declining 33 year old playing 60 games a season. It's not about how they're being treated. It's about the reality of the situation and what's going to be better for us in the long run.

No problem with that. But in the short run we really need players like Edler. If we lose him we must replace him beside the other upgrades in defence. How easy is that? 

50 minutes ago, The Lock said:

He'd be hard to replace for sure, but we're just starting the off season and there's a ton of trade talk involving us. So I say wait and see what happens over the summer with that. Perhaps we'll have a replacement. Perhaps not.

Except they've now got two weeks to get Edler signed

50 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

How can you even compare the two guys?  Ones a rookie sensation that suffered an unfortunate injury, and played amazing down the stretch when EPs offense dried up (ahem clutch) had his best month in March when it counts the most...the other is an oft whipping boy (for some good and some bad reasons) who happened to have his best season in years and years and years and years and years ... going back to his previous contract where he also had one season that held up with being a number one defenseman, albeit one low on the totem pole...

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

True.  But both parties are allowed to check out any other UFA the week before July and usually the top half verbally agrees to a deal then and signs July 1.  Edler can say “ hey look so and so is going to pay me this”. Benning can say “well EK wants to come here for 2.5 million more and two more years so see you later “....ok maybe not that dramatic but you get the gist..

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

True.  But both parties are allowed to check out any other UFA the week before July and usually the top half verbally agrees to a deal then and signs July 1.  Edler can say “ hey look so and so is going to pay me this”. Benning can say “well EK wants to come here for 2.5 million more and two more years so see you later “....ok maybe not that dramatic but you get the gist..

I agree, but you see this as the start of the off season and time is on their side.......I see it as they've got two weeks to get him signed, then they're in a very very tight spot.  If they don't sign him and lose him, there's no guarantee they are able to get a replacement.......I'd say a very low probability that they would be able to find someone to play that role and eat those mins.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

And they've reportedly had talks with him. But if Edler wants a NMC that messes up who we can protect in the expansion draft, then it's on him. Not us. We need to look out for ourselves first and foremost.

To be honest, if they don't sign him and they don't get in on other defenders in the off-season, I still would prefer that over him having to be protected in the expansion draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

No problem with that. But in the short run we really need players like Edler. If we lose him we must replace him beside the other upgrades in defence. How easy is that? 

Probably not easy, but that doesn't warrant having to protect Edler in the expansion draft.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

And they've reportedly had talks with him. But if Edler wants a NMC that messes up who we can protect in the expansion draft, then it's on him. Not us. We need to look out for ourselves first and foremost.

To be honest, if they don't sign him and they don't get in on other defenders in the off-season, I still would prefer that over him having to be protected in the expansion draft.

I’m sure JB is thinking the same thing. 

Edler is a 3 - 4 on a decent team and will be 34 next season.  Being held hostage by that type of player is not necessary.  They can be replaced via FA or trade.  I am tired of even hearing his name anymore.  Maybe it is time for a change and to let some of the younger players get a chance to step up.  This team as constructed is not ready to compete for a Cup anyways. 

3 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Edler is a 3 - 4 on a decent team and will be 34 next season.  Being held hostage by that type of player is not necessary.  They can be replaced via FA or trade.  I am tired of even hearing his name anymore.  Maybe it is time for a change and to let some of the younger players get a chance to step up.  This team as constructed is not ready to compete for a Cup anyways. 

Edler is a #2-3 on a contending team.  People are severely underestimating him

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I agree, and disagree.  On one hand, it leaves someone exposed.  On the other hand, if he leaves and they can't find a replacement, they are in serious trouble on the backend and will probably slide in the standings, rather than climb.  To me, they need to build, not slide.  They can worry about the ED later

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You don’t think Edler is worth 8 million?  (God, that’s hard to type with giggling like a little girl.)

If we sign Edler for 8 million, I’m going to have a heart attack

• Haha 1

Just now, stawns said:

I agree, and disagree.  On one hand, it leaves someone exposed.  On the other hand, if he leaves and they can't find a replacement, they are in serious trouble on the backend and will probably slide in the standings, rather than climb.  To me, they need to build, not slide.  They can worry about the ED later

This is why JB is not signing Edler until after he sees what he can do July first.  Maybe to get a guy in free agency JB really wants, he might have to give a NMC?  That would mean a definite no to Eddy getting one. 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Edler is a #2-3 on a contending team.  People are severely underestimating him

Or some are severely over estimating him.  If estimating him at 3 - 4 rather than 2 -3 is severe.........