The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

To all the people that say just makes the playoffs. Well, the blues were one year removed from the wcf and acquired o’reilly by overpaying. They were going for it and it paid off. We are nowhere near in that position....

Make the playoffs first for Christ sakes. You have to learn how to run before you learn to fly.

Isles and canes got swept so not sure if those are good examples.

So that leaves Colorado as the sole underdog that made some noise and we don’t have a McKinnon or grubauer and Boeser isn’t rantanen yet. So there goes that out the window too.

We aren’t anywhere ready to be buyers and trading our 2020 1st is the text book definition of buying.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Even getting into the playoffs we are going 2nd round max. And that seems like a stretch. There's a chance for 2020 to have depth like 2015 did.

Trading that pick away to save Benning's job is worst case scenario. (outside of the core 4) 

I'm not sure we'll even be a top contender with this core TBH. Hopefully, but man we have a really long way to go. STL drafted Edmunson/Binnington in 2011, Schwartz/Taranseko in 2010, Pietro in 2008, Parayko in 2012. Exc.

Trading top draft picks right now doesn't make sense, its never made sense under Benning, but they still do it anyways so. 

If Benning was trading for Parayko, Jones, Provorov, or Ekbald, I'd be fine with a first rounder going the other way, as theire age falls in line with the core, and the addition of such a player would have an immediate impact.

Barrie is simply not worth the risk.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nope. I'm Realistic Roger.

You believe that a defense where Edler is the most physical player (at 33 years old) would make it through a playoff round? Well......lemme show you this bridge over here.

Actually the most physical defenseman would likely be Schenn.

1 minute ago, Tomatoes11 said:

To all the people that say just makes the playoffs. Well, the blues were one year removed from the wcf and acquired o’reilly by overpaying. They were going for it and it paid off. We are nowhere near in that position....

Make the playoffs first for Christ sakes. You have to learn how to run before you learn to fly.

So that leaves Colorado as the sole underdog that made some noise and we don’t have a McKinnon or grubauer and Boeser isn’t rantanen yet. So there goes that out the window too.

We aren’t anywhere ready to be buyers and trading our 2020 1st is the text book definition of buying.

Excuse me, but did you miss that fact that the Blues were in DEAD LAST position last January?????

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t know if you missed the playoffs this year but the team that won the Cup was one that was not “contending” as you say. The goal is to make the playoffs and take it from there. Drop the loser attitude.

No the goal is to win a Stanley Cup. I want to see a parade before I die. 

Getting into the 1st round next year & getting our ass kicked to save Jim Benning's job makes no sense. They are not ready to go for it. 

5 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Exactly this. If Ottawa hands Colorado Byram and we hand them lafreniere......we should just all go line up at the firing range it would be so bad. Haha 

It'll most likely be a top 15 pick.

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No I can’t say he will but I do know it will be 10x harder for him to achieve that when another player in in-front of him taking the prime offensive starts. 

Dude this will be Quinn's first full rookie year so having someone like Barrie in front of him should be good as he will not be on the ice more than he needs to be. Let him skate on the 2nd pairing with someone like Edler or Tanev while Barrie eats those tough minutes. Hell, Makar is arguably a better dman than him with a similar path and he was skating behind Barrie in COL. 

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

As I mentioned earlier. The goal is to make the playoffs. Once in, anything can happen. You may have missed seeing what happened this post season....

Getting in is great, no doubt. But, you don't go into the ocean with a great white shark with a Buck knife hoping everything will be okay. You go in with a cage. Same for the playoffs, you go to war, and have the troops to fight that fight.

I want the Canucks to get better, but I also want them to acquire a few more integral players through the draft, and giving away high picks is a dangerous premise when the player coming back falls outside of the median age of the core.

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

No the goal is to win a Stanley Cup. I want to see a parade before I die. 

Getting into the 1st round next year & getting our ass kicked to save Jim Benning's job makes no sense. They are not ready to go for it. 

It'll most likely be a top 15 pick.

Most likely but every year a Rangers or Chicago appears. So still risky as &^@# because we can still win it. But yeah most likely 10-15, which is still good.

Edited by Tomatoes11

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Benning was trading for Parayko, Jones, Provorov, or Ekbald, I'd be fine with a first rounder going the other way, as theire age falls in line with the core, and the addition of such a player would have an immediate impact.

Barrie is simply not worth the risk.

I can't believe we are even arguing this with people.

I'm sick & tired of the losing too, I want playoffs too, but mortaging the future is not the way to go. Imagine if Dave Nonis did this in 2008 to save his job, kiss 2011 & the great Gillis era teams we had good bye.

Gotta stick to the process, really we should've been more committed to the rebuild this whole time, but we can't change the past just gotta move forward. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A playoff team that would get their asses handed to them, yes.

....assuming no other moves to address other issues.....

Our biggest needs above all else are point production from D, middle 6 forward depth and physicality.  The hardest of those to fix is the first one, which Barrie and Hughes likely accomplish.

I'd much rather get my ass handed to me in the playoffs and pick 16 than miss the playoffs and pick 10th.

3 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Dude this will be Quinn's first full rookie year so having someone like Barrie in front of him should be good as he will not be on the ice more than he needs to be. Let him skate on the 2nd pairing with someone like Edler or Tanev while Barrie eats those tough minutes. Hell, Makar is arguably a better dman than him with a similar path and he was skating behind Barrie in COL. 

Hughes is slated to be a third pairing D man to start the season from reports I have heard. TG wants players to earn their ice time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tomatoes11 said:

Most likely but every year Rangers or Chicago appears. So still risky as &^@# because we can still win it. But yeah most like.y 10-15, which is still good.

I'm not counting out that we can win the lotto, just saying it'll be top 15 b/c we likely won't make the playoffs.

Next years draft is going to be good, its not the year you want to trade your top 15 pick away. Just ask EDM how that worked for them in 2015. 

35 minutes ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

Always been a Virtanen supporter and fan, but I definitely do this deal as long as the 1st rounder is lottery-protected. A 50-point RHD is what you HOPE to draft in the first round anyways. He had the highest TOI and ES TOI of all Colorado skaters in the playoffs. He had 5 more minutes per game than the next closest D (Erik Johnson).

I'm curious if we can trade Tanev to a contender for a late 1st rounder for 2020 so we're not totally out of the 1st round in a supposedly deep draft. 

Probably Tanev + would get us a late 1st. Like Sutter, Goldobin or Sven as the ssweetner. I guess if we land a Barrie you could also add Stecher to that list

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If he's re-signed, which hasn't happened yet.

yeah but i mean... he probably will be. canucks don't have better options for his role and he doesn't have better options for teams to play for,

6 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Blues were last in the WCF in 2015. They missed the POs last season hence, them acquiring ROR and Perron.