The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

9 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

i just sign up for the KHL season, to follow on regular basis CKA Saint Petersburgh and Ekaterinburg Avtomobilist.

i want a closer look at Podz and Tryamkin, not only shorts highlights. 

i saw both game yesterday. 

- Tryamkin is fast and very mobile, and put some heavy hits. not sure about his passing skills tho

- Podz : don't think his back will sustain his extremely bend posture. need to work on his skating (kick butting style with huge energy loss). but drives the net like no-one and relentless checking.

So your saying Podz needs Bo's skating coach. :bigblush:

22 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

So your saying Podz needs Bo's skating coach. :bigblush:

I think the right skating coach could work wonders with Podkolzin. He’s effective, but very inefficient in his skating (as @deus.ex.makina noted earlier). With some technical work, Podkolzin could probably be a lot better. Which is saying something, because he already gets around quite well,  he just looks awkward at times doing it. He seems to be expending so much extra energy, but with his relentless motor and drive, it somehow works for him. Agree with @deus.ex.makina that it might not be sustainable for the long term, and hopefully that’s something the Canucks are watching and planning for. But with the right technical adjustments, Podkolzin could potentially clean up his mechanics, improve his efficiency, make immediate gains in his movement, and also take some long term wear and tear off his body, which could benefit his career longevity.

• Cheers 2

Read this article about Tampa Drafting and notice this part

As soon as the Lightning took him, they turned him over to Stacy Roest, who does much of the development work with the team. Roest put Point onto Barbara Underhill, a former World Champion pairs skater who has helped a number of NHLers improve their stride. Among those working with Point was Jamie Heffernan, a golf pro by profession who is also a consultant with the Lightning. He was one of the first in hockey to use the Zenolink 3D motion capture technology system as a tool to analyze skating. The result is the current version of Brayden Point, an elite skater who can play both ends of the ice and could very well end up winning the Conn Smythe Trophy this season.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/how-the-lightning-got-one-of-the-greatest-draft-steals-of-all-time

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

By the time the KHL finishes their season the NHL will be starting up.  Podkolzin will slide right into our top 6 and give Petty some muscle on his line.  Pod’s size, grit and being hard as nails added with his offensive gifts will make him the perfect line mate.  

6”3 right now and growing into his massive frame.  He has a Todd Bertuzzi body frame.  He’s going to give defencemen nightmares standing in front of the net.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

By the time the KHL finishes their season the NHL will be starting up.  Podkolzin will slide right into our top 6 and give Petty some muscle on his line.  Pod’s size, grit and being hard as nails added with his offensive gifts will make him the perfect line mate.  

6”3 right now and growing into his massive frame.  He has a Todd Bertuzzi body frame.  He’s going to give defencemen nightmares standing in front of the net.  

Hope the growth is true and hope he does become something like Bertuzzi 2.0....just like we hoped former #6th overall pick Virtanen would

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hope the growth is true and hope he does become something like Bertuzzi 2.0....just like we hoped former #6th overall pick Virtanen would

Pods has the silky mitts of Bert but plays the game with Mott’s desperation and grit.   He’s nothing like Virtanen. If Virtanen had a Tenth of the heart of Mott he would be a superstar.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Pods has the silky mitts of Bert but plays the game with Mott’s desperation and grit.   He’s nothing like Virtanen. If Virtanen had a Tenth of the heart of Mott he would be a superstar.  

To copy a quote from Rudy.  “If you had a tenth of the heart of Rudiger you could have made all American”  lol

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

That remains to be seen, but I doubt his hands will ever get to Bert's level of skill.  However, elite in puck pursuit, with high end skill.

Calling it now.... He'll be on the cover of S.I. titled... 'the new age of the power forward'. #cantwaitformarch

Edited by Hogs & Podz

Hopefully Pod can garner more ice time this season. Only 11:47 so far and only averaged 8:49 last season. Improvement but I am hoping he sees closer to 15 minutes.

Don't want to throw him into a 16+ minute role here right away if he gassed out.

On a more solid note he is putting up a lot more hits so far this year. On paper he had 15 hits in 30 games last year and this year through 4 games he has 8 hits.

I guess we’ve all settled on Pod/Pods/Podz for his nickname, but was wondering about a “3rd jersey” option for Podkolzin’s nickname?

Some options (some of these are terrible but they’re not all mine):

Vasya (the standard Russian nickname for Vasily)

The Moscow Mule
Bulldozin 

PutGoalsIn

Podzilla

Red Bull/Russian Red Bull 

SwagZilla (this one comes from the Trust the Process guys)

or maybe Brewski? 

(His name is Podkolzin, and the “kolzin” part sounds like “cold one,” and a cold one is a beer, and a beer is a brewski, and brewski actually sounds kinda Russian, and it even rhymes with VasilY a bit, so... Brewski?)

Or could go with an 80s/90s pop star inspiration:

Vasily Ice?

Milli Vasili? 

:lol:

27 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I guess we’ve all settled on Pod/Pods/Podz for his nickname, but was wondering about a “3rd jersey” option for Podkolzin’s nickname?

The Moscow Mule
Bulldozin 

PutGoalsIn

Podzilla

or maybe Brewski? 

(His name is Podkolzin, and the “kolzin” part sounds like “cold one,” and a cold one is a beer, and a beer is a brewski, and brewski actually sounds kinda Russian, and it even rhymes with VasilY a bit, so... Brewski?)

Vasily Ice?

Milli Vasili? 

Finding some nicknames is all well and dandy but I just wanna start saying "Puck goes in off Pod's rod" when he has a tip in or redirect.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Finding some nicknames is all well and dandy but I just wanna start saying "Puck goes in off Pod's rod" when he has a tip in or redirect.

Can we call his fan club the Pod people?

And his goal song should definitely be a cut off of Ween’s The Pod. I’d suggest playing Captain Fantasy or The Stallion (pt1), ideally uncensored.

Actually, add “The Stallion” and “Captain Fantasy” to his nickname options. :lol:

EDIT: actually, The Stallion Pt2 would be hilarious. Pod scores, weird lo-if music comes on with “For hither not, I am the stallion...”

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And his goal song should definitely be a cut off of Ween’s The Pod. I’d suggest playing Captain Fantasy or The Stallion (pt1), ideally uncensored.

Actually, add “The Stallion” and “Captain Fantasy” to his nickname options. :lol:

The name Pod People for some reason reminds me of the chant from South Park for crab people. I vote in favor of this name for the Pod fan club. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hopefully Pod can garner more ice time this season. Only 11:47 so far and only averaged 8:49 last season. Improvement but I am hoping he sees closer to 15 minutes.

Don't want to throw him into a 16+ minute role here right away if he gassed out.

On a more solid note he is putting up a lot more hits so far this year. On paper he had 15 hits in 30 games last year and this year through 4 games he has 8 hits.

I think this is OK for now. Its important not to overwork kids while they're still growing and let them get proper recovery time, and i also like that he's forced to earn his time there too. Its all good imo. 

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I think this is OK for now. Its important not to overwork kids while they're still growing and let them get proper recovery time, and i also like that he's forced to earn his time there too. Its all good imo. 

I understand that and hope he earns the coaches trust. People here are talking about him stepping into a top 6 role right away when he makes the jump.

Just want to get people to understand that he might be starting on a 3rd line/secondary role his first year here.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The Moscow Mule
Bulldozin 

PutGoalsIn

Podzilla

or maybe Brewski? 

Vasily Ice?

Milli Vasili? 

Hahaha those are all great...  just don't like the Moscow Mule, because calling someone a mule is the same as calling them stupid in most Eastern European countries.  

Milli Vanilli lol 

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

EDIT: actually, The Stallion Pt2 would be hilarious. Pod scores, weird lo-if music comes on with “For hither not, I am the stallion...”

You're one of out top posters here, but I expected better. The Pod Squad was low hanging fruit friend, and you didn't pick it.

• Haha 1