The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

#27 is Igor Ozhiganov.  Once Podkolzin scores he comes over and hugs him.  Podkolzin looks slighty taller than him.  Ozhiganov is listed at 189cm on the SKA website, so he's 6'2.5".  I would say Podkolzin is a legit 6'3" right now and could very well be 6'3.5" as he does tend to slouch alot as he skates.  But in this video he raises his arms and is standing straight up and looks slightly taller than Ozhiganov once they come together for the hug.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

#27 is Igor Ozhiganov.  Once Podkolzin scores he comes over and hugs him.  Podkolzin looks slighty taller than him.  Ozhiganov is listed at 189cm on the SKA website, so he's 6'2.5".  I would say Podkolzin is a legit 6'3" right now and could very well be 6'3.5" as he does tend to slouch alot as he skates.  But in this video he raises his arms and is standing straight up and looks slightly taller than Ozhiganov once they come together for the hug.

Based on the camera angle they could be the same height too. Safe to Pod is about 6'2.5''-6'3.5''

• Like 1

When I watch Podkolzin, I see a lot of Honey Badger in him. Of course, I think Podkolzin is much more skilled than him but the motor is there and the ability to play on any line in any situation is the similarity to Jannik. 

I would be shocked if he doesn't make it next year, I think he can at least start on the 3rd line and work his way up the lineup.

Seems like Podkolzin might be in Bragin's doghouse.  Podkolzin took a bad penalty 2 games ago, and ever since then, his mins have lessened.  He started the first few games in the 12-13 min range and has been seeing around 8 mins in the past 3 games.  His last game, Podkolzin saw zero shifts in the third period. 

A little frustrating, yes KHL is known to generally make young players work for every single second, and heavily favor veterans, but considering that SKA St Petersburg moved out 3 top six forwards to give more room for some of their young players, its frustrating.  Podkolzin's linemate typically on the 4th line Kirill Marchenko, has been given a promotion to the first line in today's game despite having 0 points. 

Hopefully Podkolzin can earn back Bragin's trust considering that Bragin heavily leaned on Podkolzin in the past 2 WJC.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Seems like Podkolzin might be in Bragin's doghouse.  Podkolzin took a bad penalty 2 games ago, and ever since then, his mins have lessened.  He started the first few games in the 12-13 min range and has been seeing around 8 mins in the past 3 games.  His last game, Podkolzin saw zero shifts in the third period. 

A little frustrating, yes KHL is known to generally make young players work for every single second, and heavily favor veterans, but considering that SKA St Petersburg moved out 3 top six forwards to give more room for some of their young players, its frustrating.  Podkolzin's linemate typically on the 4th line Kirill Marchenko, has been given a promotion to the first line in today's game despite having 0 points. 

Hopefully Podkolzin can earn back Bragin's trust considering that Bragin heavily leaned on Podkolzin in the past 2 WJC.

It could be a rotation system to keep players fresh. That's what happened with Tryamkin and everyone was panicking about him being benched for a game or two, but then came back and was back to being a minutes leader for the team.

Perhaps they know what they have in Podkolzin and want to get Marchenko going and will rely on Podkolzin more in the stretch drive/playoffs. Let's not forget Podkolzin will probably be going to the WJ as well and play a prominent role, so will need to manage his minutes.

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I know a couple of inches could mean a whole lot in some areas :ph34r: but I don't think it's going to be a huge difference in what we were going to get from him since we drafted him and think he's going to be a great player whether he's 6'2 or 6'4 either way.

Likely won't, what will matter is the muscle he's able to pack onto his frame as he continues to mature physically. Dude's already a beast though, he'll be fine. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Likely won't, what will matter is the muscle he's able to pack onto his frame as he continues to mature physically. Dude's already a beast though, he'll be fine. 

Not if you're Tyler Myers where he's got a 6'2 frame, but had his growth spurt in his neck!

• Haha 4

Overheard in a bar in Ekaterinburg...

"So, Nik.  Have you met this kid Podkolzin?"

"You mean that little runt out west?  Yeah, I've met him.  He'll be taller than me when he stops growing.  Already he's just 7 cms shorter"

So there you have it - he's already 6'4"

::D

Edited by Googlie

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

Overheard in a bar in Ekaterinburg...

"So, Nik.  Have you met this kid Podkolzin?"

"You mean that little runt out west?  Yeah, I've met him.  He'll be taller than me when he stops growing.  Already he's just 7 cms shorter"

So there you have it - he's already 6'4"

::D

Star Wars - Mos Eisley cantina on Make a GIFI've been to that bar in the Ekaterinburg sector.  Rough crowd -- I wouldn't go back!

• Haha 1