The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

SKA beat Jokerit in Finland 2-1. Podkolzin played with two experienced players Ilya Kablukov (C, 31 y.o.) and Evgeny Ketov (LW, 33 y.o.) and he was actually the only young player in the regular lineup. Another young forward Daniil Ogirtchuk (19 y.o.) spent most time on bench. Not much details are provided, just mentioned that Podkolzin had breakaway at the start of the 3rd period but did not score.

pod1.jpg

pod2.jpg

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

Finally, there is large and very interesting interview with Podkolzin about Vancouver, NHL draft, world junior championship, SKA... I have been waiting for such interview since June:

https://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/khl/reviews/bolshoe-intervyu-novogo-forvarda-talanta-vasiliya-podkolzina-o-drafte-nhl-o-vankuvere-yuniorke-ska-i-mchm-1574665/

I will try to translate this interview, this would take some time, Vasily uses a lot of natural Russian idioms that are not easy to paraphrase into English... Man, you are gonna love this interview, it answers so many questions about Podkolzin.

Heard then taking about it on local radio this morning. Look forward to your translation! :towel:

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

Finally, there is large and very interesting interview with Podkolzin about Vancouver, NHL draft, world junior championship, SKA... I have been waiting for such interview since June:

https://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/khl/reviews/bolshoe-intervyu-novogo-forvarda-talanta-vasiliya-podkolzina-o-drafte-nhl-o-vankuvere-yuniorke-ska-i-mchm-1574665/

I will try to translate this interview, this would take some time, Vasily uses a lot of natural Russian idioms that are not easy to paraphrase into English... Man, you are gonna love this interview, it answers so many questions about Podkolzin.

ok go eating GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Saw the google translation and got a lot out of it already but I'll definitely be waiting for your translation as well. He sounds pretty humble and knows that hard work will earn him a spot on the KHL team vs being entitled to it. I was very surprised by the depth of this interview as they talked about a lot of topics including stuff that I normally wouldn't expect a player to divulge, particularly about friends/family asking for a loan.

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

can't wait. I tried google translate but it was weird, although he does seem very happy to be with Vancouver. 

3 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Cool happened! 

• Upvote 1

A Google translate section of the interview.... I'm sure Stierlitz will have a more complete one, but I was really impressed with the translation compared to ones I have read in the past.  (Of course some funny spots...'I was generally purple')  Also the interviewers questions where much more about who HE is.  They did a good job....

The kid sounds like he has... If I could describe as 'elite' character.  He is as straight ahead as they come.  Man.... The leadership and character that is coming with theses players that Benning is assembling is on the verge (in the early stages) of being a well rounded juggernaut for years to come.  

You were invited to a media day. Only 10 people are invited there - who are very likely to be selected in a dozen.

“I never thought about that.” The situation was funny the day before the draft. My agency arranged something like a party - they played billiards, they drank some cocktails. Non-alcoholic! And then you suddenly think. And I say this: “And if they don’t choose me in the first round?” Everyone laughed. But they just did not understand my condition. Before this party, I did not worry at all. What will I be, in what round - I was generally purple. And when I arrived for pre-draft tests, I never thought of anything like that. I just wanted to talk, look at everything from the inside out, learn something new. And the day before the draft and the draft day are the most nervous days in my life. Wild stress. It seems - why worry, a cool show, everything is beautiful. Americans know how to do it, well done. And you think: "Just in the first round - it will already be very good." Sitting waiting and each team is given three minutes, then until the player comes out - three more. And every three minutes is like an hour.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Thanks 1

Tkachuk is a Russian name is it not? Well now we have our version. Giving zero F*cks and playing the game at a high level. I stood up in my chair and said Tkachuk after Jim Benning said "From the London Knights..." back in 2016. Now we have Juolevi and Podkolzin under cost control and the future is blindingly bright.

I'd give JB another year extension even if we miss the playoffs, just to see what he can do what he can pull off in draft. Build through the draft was his mantra since he got here and he hasn't disappointed. He got lucky and he took some risks, but that empty cupboard is full enough to ice a competitive team and give us a lot of hope for the future. Podz is a beauty and he's going to be a Canuck for years to come.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1