The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

35 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Does Podz style of play similar to that of Kirill Kaprizov from Minnesota? That kid is doing great for them!

No, Podz is a very aggressive two way player. He is great along the walls, good passer, doesn't have a very good shot & he could gain a step in skating. I think he would be one of our best penalty killers instantly, once he comes over. 

29 minutes ago, KKnight said:

No, Podz is a very aggressive two way player. He is great along the walls, good passer, doesn't have a very good shot & he could gain a step in skating. I think he would be one of our best penalty killers instantly, once he comes over. 

I wouldn’t assume that Podkolzin would have success on the Canucks PK no matter how good he is. PK is about system play, and I don’t see anyone having success with a system that has not worked for anyone to date. Even with Markstrom last year and him being a premier goaltender, the PK was 16th in the league. Presumably, Schmidt and Hamonic are better than Tanev and Stetcher. Apparently not.

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I wouldn’t assume that Podkolzin would have success on the Canucks PK no matter how good he is. PK is about system play, and I don’t see anyone having success with a system that has not worked for anyone to date. Even with Markstrom last year and him being a premier goaltender, the PK was 16th in the league. Presumably, Schmidt and Hamonic are better than Tanev and Stetcher. Apparently not.

guess we'll see mid season, 10 month break for hamonic barley any practice ect and now that he's injured could take longer, schmidt new team ect and no exhibition games, gunna take time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

15 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Does Podz style of play similar to that of Kirill Kaprizov from Minnesota? That kid is doing great for them!

Not at all.  Kirill is a small top 6 player with a scoring touch.  He is 4yrs older than Podz.  Incredible 5th round pick up for Minni!

P is a grinding puck seeker, who is constantly bringing the puck into the ozone.  He is a fearless player, who is unafraid of hanging around the dirty areas.  I don't think he will be a substantial goal scorer, but I can see him getting a lot of assists if he plays alongside a shooter.  He has great size and will be a formidable force to anyone trying to defend against him.

I can see P playing on any line and also contributing to both the PP and PK.

I think Podz is years away from reaching his potential, but, by the time he hits his prime, he will be a significant top 6 player for the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

On 1/22/2021 at 8:40 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Right now he's looking like the player we hoped Virtanen would be. Let's see if this translates to North America hockey.

That style of hockey translates to any league in the world. This kid has a motor that ain't gonna quit. And he's only going to get stronger.

• Like 2

I have a hard time gauging what time of player Podz will be. He has skill but has struggled to put up any meaningful point totals since we drafted him. At the same time his determination, grit, and defensive play make him really intriguing. 

At this point I could see him being a bigger & tougher Jannik Hansen. Not a consistent top 6 scorer but will put up points in the top 6 through stretches and be difficult to play against. Great guy to have on your roster in a cap environment (brings a lot of utility without the major cost of bigger point producers). 

8 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I have a hard time gauging what time of player Podz will be. He has skill but has struggled to put up any meaningful point totals since we drafted him. At the same time his determination, grit, and defensive play make him really intriguing. 

At this point I could see him being a bigger & tougher Jannik Hansen. Not a consistent top 6 scorer but will put up points in the top 6 through stretches and be difficult to play against. Great guy to have on your roster in a cap environment (brings a lot of utility without the major cost of bigger point producers). 

I saw a comparison to Nick Foligno somewhere and it seemed to fit to me.

Powerful player who isn't huge but plays such a rugged style, while willing to pay price both offensively and defensively. Podkolzin likely isn't going to be a prolific point producing guy, but he is a guy you win with because his work ethic and commitment level to the game drags his team into battle. However, just because he isn't producing a high amount of points, does not mean he isn't a skill player. He very well can take on a game by himself should he want to, but his diligence to playing a conscientious two way game likely takes away from his offensive dynamic play.

Who knows, perhaps playing with a guy like Bo Horvat, or Elias Pettersson who are naturally defensively responsible will allow him to discover his offensive creativity again. But I like that he adds a new element to the group that very few have, which is a tenacious style of hockey that ultimately just wears down the opposition by sheer will. 

45 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

PODGOALZIN

Again, what is on display on the goal is Podkolzin's keen awareness of his stick work. He reads the play (although) may have lost track of his check originally, but his quick feet in his first 3 steps to close the gap and actively has his stick and body in the passing lane and forces the turnover.

Podkolzin may not always look super dangerous, but his responsible hockey IQ and highly attuned awareness is going to afford him chances.  His reliability in the d-zone will lead to those chances, and Green will love this sort of hockey. I am a firm believer, that when you take care of your own zone it leads to offense, whether for you or others.

What a beautiful snipe! jesus lol

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Seems like Podz is coming off a period of development of late.  His skating appears to be faster and his somewhat frenzied end to end rushes seem more purposeful.  I like how he protects the puck, all the while looking for the best choice to make; whether to pass, or move to a more opportune position.  His hockey sense is very good.  And boy oh boy; still the freight train running down the ice, but with such intent will be very useful on our time. 

Probably start him off with    Motte  Beagle  Podz

And then   Motte    Sutts/Gaud      Podz 

And then....finally...Hogs    Bo    Podz  :towel: