The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Isn't all about who comes back and how they fit? I think anyone of those you list could go. If Cap space is needed to make another move happen it could be BB. Possibly the trade value is greater in BB. I am like you I like Garland and felt he hasn't got a fair shake. That said does he fit the PA mold. He might be easier to move. AB is more a question mark. I like to see him play more. There has to be room made for Hogs as he has more to show us in the NHL.  

Hogs will take Garland’s place and be an improvement. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Isn't all about who comes back and how they fit? I think anyone of those you list could go. If Cap space is needed to make another move happen it could be BB. Possibly the trade value is greater in BB. I am like you I like Garland and felt he hasn't got a fair shake. That said does he fit the PA mold. He might be easier to move. AB is more a question mark. I like to see him play more. There has to be room made for Hogs as he has more to show us in the NHL.  

I think at this point, it's not really about who's coming back which is a better fit, it's more about who can we trade that won't cost us assets as well to move. 

I think Garland and AB are on fair contracts and shouldn't cost to move. We might not get a good return but if the purpose is to shed cap, then maybe that's what they do. 

Boeser is probably overpaid by 1.5 m. He however has size compared to the other two but has been underperforming due to external factors as well as injuries. 

I think a healthy motivated Boeser's ceiling is a 70 PT player (which he has never achieved)

At this point, I'd cut bait with him too. Use your head not your heart. The guys previous best is 56 pts.. His agent did good work. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

But he needs to go back to #36 long-term.  That #21 sweater is death for him.  :ph34r:

He wore #36 all year this year in Abbotsford. It's quite likely he wears #36 in the NHL again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Only because Chase Wouters was wearing 21 with Abby.  I suspect Höglander was wearing 21 to honour Salming.

Could be the case. I didn't consider that.

Interesting article, which lays out contract options for Hoglander.

My 10 yr old said to me the other night: "You thought Hogs was going to be a top six. You were really excited."

I was. And i am.

Signing him for 4 years at 2.6 seems a reasonable risk/reward scenario to me.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/should-the-canucks-bet-on-nils-hoglander-with-a-long-term-deal-7074142

Bear for 2.7m seems ok too?

I expect Hogs will be offered a 3 year bridge deal. What might surprise is if he wants a 1 year deal instead. He experienced the bite of NHL reality last year. Does he respect the Canuck decision to send him down or does he think he is good enough to test elsewhere? 

Just now, Boudrias said:

I expect Hogs will be offered a 3 year bridge deal. What might surprise is if he wants a 1 year deal instead. He experienced the bite of NHL reality last year. Does he respect the Canuck decision to send him down or does he think he is good enough to test elsewhere? 

When is Hogs a UFA? 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When is Hogs a UFA? 

If the Canucks don't offer him a contract this summer he could become a UFA.

More realistically, he could become a UFA in 4 years depending on the length of any contracts he may sign between now and then.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

More realistically, he could become a UFA in 4 years depending on the length of any contracts he may sign between now and then.

That’s what I thought. So any contract Hogs gets isn’t going to be much. He’s under team control. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Isn't Hogs a RFA? Only 22 years old. 

On 5/31/2023 at 6:53 AM, Boudrias said:

You sign him to the 3 year bridge. Tocchet will love Hogs and given the choice I'm positive that he would have had him with the big club for the entire season. There's no question that Hogs is a middle 6 forward and next season will be a breakout for him.

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:34 AM, CanucksJay said:

I think at this point, it's not really about who's coming back which is a better fit, it's more about who can we trade that won't cost us assets as well to move. 

I think Garland and AB are on fair contracts and shouldn't cost to move. We might not get a good return but if the purpose is to shed cap, then maybe that's what they do. 

Boeser is probably overpaid by 1.5 m. He however has size compared to the other two but has been underperforming due to external factors as well as injuries. 

I think a healthy motivated Boeser's ceiling is a 70 PT player (which he has never achieved)

At this point, I'd cut bait with him too. Use your head not your heart. The guys previous best is 56 pts.. His agent did good work. 

I agree Boeser is overpaid at 6.6 million should be paid in 5.1--5.4 range. So retain 1.4 million and try and trade Boeser or Garland.

Boeser 26 - 6.6 millionX 2 yrs - retain 1.2 million and try an move - GP 75 - G 22-25 - PTS -- 58-64

Garland 27 - 4.9 million X 3 yrs -  retain maybe 500,000 -- GP 75 - G 22-24 - PTS 52 --58 (  playing PP

Beauvillier 25- 4 mil X 1 yr --  GP 75 -- G 18--22. PTS 46--50  

Two of these 3 forwards  to be moved.. Myers should be easier to move after July 1st bonus is paid.

Only 1 million will be left for new team and Myers contract help teams under cap? Arizona or Ducks?

Not easy as Myers has 10 team no trade list. 

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I agree Boeser is overpaid at 6.6 million should be paid in 5.1--5.4 range. So retain 1.4 million and try and trade Boeser or Garland.

Boeser 26 - 6.6 millionX 2 yrs - retain 1.2 million and try an move - GP 75 - G 22-25 - PTS -- 58-64

Garland 27 - 4.9 million X 3 yrs -  retain maybe 500,000 -- GP 75 - G 22-24 - PTS 52 --58 (  playing PP

Beauvillier 25- 4 mil X 1 yr --  GP 75 -- G 18--22. PTS 46--50  

Two of these 3 forwards  to be moved.. Myers should be easier to move after July 1st bonus is paid.

Only 1 million will be left for new team and Myers contract help teams under cap? Arizona or Ducks?

Not easy as Myers has 10 team no trade list. 

My understanding is Myers 5 million bonus is paid out around Sept 29th or just prior to the start of  next season. (not July 1st) 

Most teams will have spent their available cap space by then. After that point he could become an attractive option for teams. 

Not sure if the teams that have the cap space will be intrested, as most of them won't be contenders.

I suppose 2 or 3 of those teams trying to reach the cap floor could have intresest...i would add the blackhawks to your list as well.

His 10 team no trade list may handcuff us a bit.

If he didn't want to be traded, he could submit a no trade list with every team that has cap space for his contract.  

Edited by Blitz-Pix

On 5/25/2023 at 3:04 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Apparently he wears 21 in his international play and he wore it before he came to the NHL, so the Salming angle might not be entirely correct.  However, he was blocked from wearing it initially with the big team because some other Swede with a little more tenure than he had was wearing that number... :ph34r:

Unfortunately, that number will be next to be retired and Hogs will be unable to wear it. The King shall be remembered always.

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

My understanding is Myers 5 million bonus is paid out around Sept 29th or just prior to the start of  next season. (not July 1st) 

Most teams will have spent their available cap space by then. After that point he could become an attractive option for teams. 

Not sure if the teams that have the cap space will be intrested, as most of them won't be contenders.

I suppose 2 or 3 of those teams trying to reach the cap floor could have intresest...i would add the blackhawks to your list as well.

His 10 team no trade list may handcuff us a bit.

If he didn't want to be traded, he could submit a no trade list with every team that has cap space for his contract.  

Don't you just trade Myers + $5m for a pick what ever that may be. His salary is then $1m per season. I recall money was included in the Gretzky trade

On 6/1/2023 at 5:47 AM, Boudrias said:

Isn't Hogs a RFA? Only 22 years old. 

Yeah I sure hope Canucks keep Hoglander so much speed and gritty play in his game..

Hoglander ,Sign 1 yr X 1.1  million deal show me more one way deal..

Podkolzin, sign  2 yrs X 1.3--1.6  million show me more one way deal

• 5 weeks later...