The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I had a kid who suffered a concussion in a gaame it last primarily for a couple of years, the first year unable to stand any light or noise period and to this day still get botox injection to take down the swelling in the brain and that was 4 years ago

So sorry to hear that. Praying that your kid will be ok.

On 4/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, wildcam said:

Need to trade Miller this summer and max out on trade return..Lets be realistic we can't compete with top teams in west, Colorado, Calgary, Wild, Nashville, Blues..Lets get tougher and faster and compete sooner then later..This Miller trade will make us a better team for years adding more young skilled  players..

Don't want to sign a 30year old player to a big contract.-- 8.4 million X 6 or 7 years. BIG BIG NO.....

Need to have cap room for next few years...

Miller is having a career year and will get his money

Unfortunately, If the window is 3 or more years away for the Canucks, then you are not maximising the value for Miller and like you said will be paying too much for a mid 30's guy for when the team is ready, and hopefully you can have "another Miller' younger type player from trading him (as well as other players to help in weaker areas)

It seems Allvin and management are leaning this way as well saying, "“If you want to be a good team, there’s only so much you can pay for players. You can pick and pay one or two players a lot of money, but then you know, the team in front of you is not good.”

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Miller has already set personal bests in goals, assists, and points, and is currently on pace for 80 games, 34 goals, 62 assists, and 96 points. He's already the first Canuck to break the 80 point barrier since the twins and if he keeps on his pace, he'll be the first one to break the 90 point barrier since them as well.

On 4/3/2022 at 3:30 PM, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, but then I'd want picks for 2023. That's probably the deeper draft no, compared to 2022? 

So you want to trade quality players for prospects about 5 years away from the NHL?

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Baggins said:

So you want to trade quality players for prospects about 5 years away from the NHL?

Which players are we trading for 2023 picks?  Boeser, Miller, Garland?  They will return more than just picks in 2023.  Picks in 2022 and prospects, and young guys.  Should get all 4, no?

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which players are we trading for 2023 picks?  Boeser, Miller, Garland?  They will return more than just picks in 2023.  Picks in 2022 and prospects, and young guys.  Should get all 4, no?

If we're trading high quality players there better be something quality coming back onto the team. If we're trading for hopes and dreams we may as well trade them all, inlcuding Horvat, and call the next 5 years a fresh rebuild. I'm not saying no prospects/picks in a return, but there had better be some good roster players in the deal.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

On 3/30/2022 at 5:16 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I do wonder if the LAK or NYR had a package they offered for Miller because they certainly have some pieces there. Miller, a 100 point pace young, strong/physical two-way PKing forward should rightly warrant a top young prospect, top young player and 1st round pick - and teams (if they have the need) will pay that.

For NYR, they have so many combinations of young guys in a surplus. Schneider + Chytil + 1st is certainly something which ticks all those boxes - young top right handed defenceman (to play with Hughes their entire careers), a young 3C and a 1st round pick. None of these guys are even their top choices in their respective positions.

LA have a stack of good young defencemen and they desperately need a top scoring center to replace Kopitar who's finally slowing down. That being said, an inter-divisional trade would be much harder and boy would it suck to have Pettersson play against Miller.

LA have a boat load of good C on their team and in their prospect pool as well.  What they really need

is a top 6 RW to replace Brown next season.

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

LA have a boat load of good C on their team and in their prospect pool as well.  What they really need

is a top 6 RW to replace Brown next season.

I'm sure Boeser would love LA... ::D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boeser for Spence?

I hadn't realized that Spence had made the jump to the big club.  His AHL #s are really good.

He is Rathbone small, so I don't know whether they want to go with 3 small dmen in the lineup.

I've been hoping for Grans, who is a year younger than Spence and a lot bigger.  Grans

is a lot more of a risk, but the reward is staggering. 

I would like to see the Nucks get NHL player in the return; maybe Kupari.  I really wanted to

Turcotte, but I've been told many times that LA wouldn't do that.  I also thought of Vilardi,

but he is looking kind of bustish in the NHL, although he does well in the AHL.

• 2 weeks later...

Miller had cooled off a bit, but with his huge 5 point night, he's now back on pace to score exactly 100 points in 80 games. He's also on pace for 68 assists, which would be the best total since Henrik had 75 assists in 2010-11. 68 assists would give Miller the highest total of anyone not named Henrik Sedin (he would rank 4th). He's already tied Andre Boudrias and only Henrik and Daniel have had more assists in a season.

• Like 1

And who wanted to trade him?!!!!  Fingers crossed he signs a palatable contract.....and by that I mean a 5 year contract instead of an 8 year contract.  

No....I don't want to trade him in the off-season, next season or any other season.  I'd love to see him take the bull by the horns with this team and lead the way.  People say he'll be too old but I'm not buying it.  He'll be good til he's in his mid-30s I think.  Why?  Because he's like a swiss army knife.  He can do everything.  We've seen the leadership, the scoring, the playmaking, the toughness, the win at all cost mentality and ability to be a mentor.  We've also seen him be clutch when needed.  If he ages and he degrades in one aspect, he has other tools and the attitude to find ways to win.  These are guys you hang on to!  

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Millers comments , 

“I try to feel like I'm never satisfied,” Miller said when asked about eclipsing 90 points. “I've gotten an amazing opportunity since I've been here. I get to play in every situation, which is something I've worked for my whole career. But that being said, it doesn't really mean sh-- to me if we don't play in the playoffs. It's great, but I'm not in this for the personal gain.

“Like I tell you guys, when I'm playing well, points come and when that happens, we win more games. I really just want to play in the playoffs because when you score in the playoffs, that's what really means a lot.”

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

On 4/15/2022 at 1:44 PM, SilentSam said:

Millers comments , 

“I try to feel like I'm never satisfied,” Miller said when asked about eclipsing 90 points. “I've gotten an amazing opportunity since I've been here. I get to play in every situation, which is something I've worked for my whole career. But that being said, it doesn't really mean sh-- to me if we don't play in the playoffs. It's great, but I'm not in this for the personal gain.

“Like I tell you guys, when I'm playing well, points come and when that happens, we win more games. I really just want to play in the playoffs because when you score in the playoffs, that's what really means a lot.”

Great quote!  Coaches and fans need to appreciate these kinds of players when they have them.  Trading a top 10 NHL player for prospects, picks and some other players is like the classic Raymond + Ballard + a 2nd rounder.  You just can't replace high end quality with quantity of lower quality.  Guys like this put the team on their backs and this is why they're so special.  I can only imagine how much Podz is learning from what he sees with Miller right now.

I'm all for tradiing guys at their peak when they're replaceable.  Miller is not one of them.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/15/2022 at 12:53 AM, -AJ- said:

Miller had cooled off a bit, but with his huge 5 point night, he's now back on pace to score exactly 100 points in 80 games. He's also on pace for 68 assists, which would be the best total since Henrik had 75 assists in 2010-11. 68 assists would give Miller the highest total of anyone not named Henrik Sedin (he would rank 4th). He's already tied Andre Boudrias and only Henrik and Daniel have had more assists in a season.

I just saw someone talking about how wild it is that Miller could hit 100 points.

So I looked back through the years to see just how wild it is relative to past years.

It's been ten years since we had a player with 80 points on the season - Henrik with 81 in 11/12

Most of the years since then our top scorer has been in the 50s or 60s.

And our team has 3 - 30 goal guys this year...we're definitely finally a team on the rise

3 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

I just saw someone talking about how wild it is that Miller could hit 100 points.

So I looked back through the years to see just how wild it is relative to past years.

It's been ten years since we had a player with 80 points on the season - Henrik with 81 in 11/12

Most of the years since then our top scorer has been in the 50s or 60s.

And our team has 3 - 30 goal guys this year...we're definitely finally a team on the rise

To be fair, there have been three shortened seasons since Hank's 11-12 season (12-13, 19-20, and 20-21). Miller probably would've hit at least 80 points in 2019-20.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

It's not even close!

JT Miller could/should get 100 + points this year

spacer.png

Play him 25 minutes so he can pump his numbers up. Works for him on a new contract and works for the Canucks if/when they trade him.