The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arturs Silovs | G

On 10/7/2020 at 11:35 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Form some of the clips that the twitter guy posted for Silovs on the goals, looked like he was swimming a bit and had lost some of his technical parts of his game.  Rust for sure, but I think it would help a lot too if he had more exposure with Ian Clark who often stresses upon quieting movements in goal to make simple saves.  Not sure if Riga has a dedicated goalie coach and what they are asking of him.

But for sure would be helpful if he got some more work in with Ian Clark, because he certainly has some untapped potential

I think Silovs is right in the middle of making some adjustments to his game, so there could be some growing pains, as he builds his technique. From what I recall, he has a bit of a bad habit of using a very wide stance, which is OK for lower levels, as it takes away the bottom of the net, but it’s problematic as competition levels go up, both due to the room it leaves up high, and the limitations to mobility it creates.

Actually, I just remembered while writing this post, there’s a section from a recent article (including a good quote from Woodley) that gets into the issue:

Silovs is an athletic freak who’s long legs allow him to make the bottom of the net virtually inaccessible for opposing shooters.

An area for improvement in Silovs’ game is his low and wide stance, which leaves plenty of room up high and makes him look smaller in the net than his 6’4 203-pound frame would suggest.

A big change Ian Clark made in Jacob Markstrom’s game in recent years was narrowing his stance, which has become a trend we’ve seen from multiple NHL goaltenders recently as they try to adapt to an ever-changing league.

Kevin Woodley wrote about this phenomenon for NHL.com not too long ago.

“In the simplest terms, narrowing the stance improves a goalie’s mobility by keeping his feet underneath him and giving him more leg extension with which to push. Conversely, if a goalie is already spread out too wide with his legs, there isn’t much extension left to make a powerful, controlled push, whether it’s left to right or up and down the crease,” Woodley wrote.

When you take into account that Silovs has such a wide stance, it’s almost even more impressive just how quick he is at moving side to side and how explosive his lateral movements can be.

Silovs has already begun the process of narrowing his stance, recognizing that he needs to make this adjustment in order to succeed at higher levels.

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/11/06/canucks-prospect-report-goaltender-arturs-silovs/

Sounds like everyone involved is aware of the issue and it’s being worked through, just might take some time before Silovs fully adopts a new stance and gains the reps and muscle memory to make the technical adjustments really work for him. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Autocorrect
  • Cheers 1

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Our kid we sent to the moose in our loan agreement.

First interview with the moose.

https://twitter.com/manitobamoose/status/1361053613720797188?prefetchtimestamp=1613373853230

Believe they play tomorrow.

Indeed they do (today, Monday at 4 our time)

Sautner and Graovac are also with the Moose

AHL-TV is free for this game

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2021 at 11:25 PM, Rush17 said:

Our kid we sent to the moose in our loan agreement.

First interview with the moose.

https://twitter.com/manitobamoose/status/1361053613720797188?prefetchtimestamp=1613373853230

Believe they play tomorrow.

I didn’t realize that Rick St. Croix is the goalie coach with the Moose. Good to hear that he’s been working with Silovs. St. Croix is a former NHL goalie coach and also has worked as an NHL assistant coach and in player development. He’s also run his own goalie school. That’s pretty high level coaching support for a goaltender in the AHL, which can only help Silovs during this loan to Manitoba.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I have a feeling that Silovs is going to be an NHL goalie in a few years esp. if he stays under the tutelage of Ian Clarke.

We must have one of the highest-ranked goalie systems.  Demko, Mikey and Silov not too shabby.

Boggles my mind how many teams fail in this area, forcing them to overpay on a UFA.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It has been a tough year for a lot of players, Silovs included. I am looking forward to see him playing on the farm team next year.

Getting an NHL paycheque for a game or two is a very nice reward too, I’m sure Silovs is stoked about that. 

1 hour ago, Harvey Specter said:

I hope Silovs enjoys the game from the bench. He has worked his way up the depth charts through such an unconventional year!

Hopefully they change his Game-Issued jersey's namebar before the next game! :unsure:

Maybe that's going to be the new rookie prank. Make them play their first game with a misspelled name instead of just doing the lonely lap.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1