The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

Well, this goes to show you that most reports were way off with reporters throwing out 7 years at 8mill or so per year.

The two sticking points to this deal, in my mind, are -- is this going to be a contract littered with signing bonuses?!? And is there a NMC anywhere in the deal. My hope is that there's an NTC but no NMC, especially at the Expansion draft. If this deal is an anchor by expansion, Myers could be a carrot that's dangled to protect a young player potentially.

But 5 x 6 is liveable... it's not ideal but it's better than I expected.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The Canucks aren't just adding Miller, Myers, Benn - or even Hughes.

EP, Boeser, Virtanen, Stecher, Gaudette, and the rest of the youth are a year further along, developed.

All of Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Beagle were injured - a worst case scenario where their veteran hard minutes guys went down with a lot of youth remaining in the lineup.

Pearson returning to develop more chemistry with Horvat, Miller adding heaviness to the top line should help EP and Boeser beyond development.

Guys like Leivo won't have to play up the lineup, will make the depth of the team better (if at all healty).

The goaltending is also growing, younger and deeper.

The bar wasn't that low - they had very respectable outcomes considering they were a M.A.S.H team.

Where the bar is actually lower is in the Vancouver hockey media.

LALALA stop it!  We need to "bottom out" and get another lotto win this year.  Tank4Eva, who's with me?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, We Are All Cucks said:

Louis E at 6 mill per year is currently an albatross of a contract. Will it be plus or minus 2 years before we say the same about this fantastic 6 million dollar player?

If we are deep into the playoffs it packs a good argument.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Lee would be an awesome add -- net-front presence, captain-level leadership, multi-sport athlete.  Canucks may not have even interviewed him, but if money dries up maybe he or someone like him isn't signed right away, giving the Canuck a chance to move some more cap and make a move on a top-6 yet.

I think Lee is probably why Montreal has been dumping cap such as shaw. I think he is gone.

But some guys such as ferland may find themselves without teams later in the day tomorrow and maybe they drop their asking prices.  The top guys such as lee probably all get picked up but maybe that gives us a chance with a ferland type.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, zimmy said:

I know the popular narrative paints Canucks D as woefully incompetant but if you look at GAA they finished 20th in the league. Was Markstrom that good. Why did he not receive any MVP votes playing behind such a heinous backline? I'm certainly not suggesting we had a stellar group but Satiar, among many others, is suggesting an all out crap show on defense. Is there a collective need to be hyper ctitical of the home team regardless of facts. Just wondering.

I think it comes from being hyper-focused on the home team and not realizing that many teams have their weaker players/ problems.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Dude was making 5.5 last year and some are saying 6 is overpaying. Lol. We know you hate Benning but for &^@# sakes, get a grip. And for 5 years and not the 7 predicted. 

Picard facepalm. Patent Pending. :D

:picard:

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Wat 2

8 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I'm expecting Benn at 2.5-3 over 3 years. One year too many, but meh. 

I'm surprised we haven't heard Ferlands name around. Could be a bit of a bargain to be had there. I love what he brings. Injuries are pretty risky, but if he stays healthy, he could add an element to our team that would be HUGE. 

Benning is not going from 1.1 to 2.5-3m per year. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not 100% confirmed yet. We should probably wait until the announcement is made before jumping the gun on a thread.

Agreed. Not sure why this thread is needed when we already have a Myers thread with all the same info. This thread says signing but we all know that cannot happen until tomorrow morning.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This is actually huge for Tanev. Doesn’t have to be the No.1 RD. With Myers and Stecher that pretty decent. Maybe we see Tanev hit 70 games with less hard minutes, wouldn’t that be something

• Upvote 3

Fair point. But... while I don't claim to know all the fancy stats and all that jazz, from what I've read, Myers ís not on a path forward in his career trajectory. It might work out for one or two years (*might*), but based on what people are saying, 6 mill is going to be pretty tough sooner or later.

Before the offseason I was expecting him to hit the 7-8 million mark. This deal would be very reasonable (hopefully no NMC, but NTC is fine with me). I expect him to have a bigger role than he did in Winnipeg.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn?-Stecher

Sautner-Biega

4 minutes ago, zimmy said:

I know the popular narrative paints Canucks D as woefully incompetant but if you look at GAA they finished 20th in the league. Was Markstrom that good. Why did he not receive any MVP votes playing behind such a heinous backline? I'm certainly not suggesting we had a stellar group but Satiar, among many others, is suggesting an all out crap show on defense. Is there a collective need to be hyper ctitical of the home team regardless of facts. Just wondering.

Yup, and that's with "worst defenceman in the NHL" Gudbranson and "even worse" Pouliot, 56-game Edler and 55-game Tanev, plus our heavy-lifting Cs 26-game Sutter and 57-game Beagle.  So how was that possible?  Marky should won the Vezina, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1