The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

3 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

I never said that he's doing nothing again and should be fired.  Of course I want the team to be better, I just don't think that signing #4 defencemen who need to be heavily sheltered is the way to do that.  

Apparently the team tried to get Subban first, that would've been a fantastic move imo.  I don't think this is a good move at all, but as a general rule I prefer to patiently rebuild and not sign massive free agent contracts.

Yeah, heavily sheltered by Chiarot?

So you'd rather have kept Hutton?  Do you want this team to improve or not?  You want them to pull in $9mil in cap, which prevents other acquisitions?

• Cheers 1

Just now, oldnews said:

Hilarious to listen to all the Ferraros walk back their drama around Myers.    Er 7 years x 7 or 8 millionz?  Cool story Ray.

Burkie loves the signing.

I'm with you Burkie.

Brian Burke? Where’s he yapping presently?

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Hilarious to listen to all the Ferraros walk back their drama around Myers.    Er 7 years x 7 or 8 millionz?  Cool story Ray.

Burkie loves the signing.

I'm with you Burkie.

Is this official now?

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, heavily sheltered by Chiarot?

So you'd rather have kept Hutton?  Do you want this team to improve or not?  You want them to pull in $9mil in cap, which prevents other acquisitions?

Heavily sheltered in terms of quality of competition and in his offensive zone deployment.

What does Hutton have to do with any of this? I am very happy with the Benn signing, that's a great contract imo.  9m is only 3m above the Myers signing, but 1) Subban is a legitimate top pairing defender who would've looked fantastic beside Edler and 2) his contract only goes for 3 more years, which is perfect.

Apparently we wanted the Preds to retain salary while NJ was ok with no retention, so the team tried to trade for Subban first.  Myers was the consolation prize I guess.  Not a big believer in change just for the sake of change, which this sorta feels like.  Anyways I don't care for this player or contract, guess I'm in the minority here.

Edited by highwayman3
  • Wat 1

• -SN- changed the title to [Signing - to be confirmed] Tyler Myers In Vancouver (Free Agency)
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
6 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

I never said that he's doing nothing again and should be fired.  Of course I want the team to be better, I just don't think that signing #4 defencemen who need to be heavily sheltered is the way to do that.  

Apparently the team tried to get Subban first, that would've been a fantastic move imo.  I don't think this is a good move at all, but as a general rule I prefer to patiently rebuild and not sign massive free agent contracts.

The problem is that a few media hacks make comments not knowing  a whiff of what they're talking about - and it gets parroted endlessly by their peers.

Myers was not only not sheltered - he played with Kulikov, Morrow and Chiarot - but he was also a penalty killer - more than 2 minutes a game as a pker on a team that had lots of capable penalty killing options.

In any event, referring to penalty killers as if they are guys that need to be "heavily sheltered" - is illogical and just plain incorrect.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, highwayman3 said:

Heavily sheltered in terms of quality of competition and in his offensive zone deployment.

What does Hutton have to do with any of this? I am very happy with the Benn signing, that's a great contract imo.  9m is only 3m above the Myers signing, but 1) Subban is a legitimate top pairing defender who would've looked fantastic beside Edler and 2) his contract only goes for 3 more years, which is perfect.

Apparently we wanted the Preds to retain salary while NJ was ok with no retention, so the team tried to trade Subban first - just an fyi.

JB wouldn’t want PK in our young room.  

Defence on the older side now but hopefully Myers will replace Edler when he's retired.

Gotta think they'll line up like this:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Benn - Tanev

Juolevi

Fauntenberg?

Would like a depth guy for when we get injuries.

4 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I had the opportunity to see 8 Jets games live when I lived in Winnipeg back in 2017 - one thing you do not realize about him is how well he skates unless you see him live. For a big man he can skate. I think this is a great signing for the Canucks.

I agree - and I also think he has far more hockey intelligence than he gets credit for - all the talk of him being a liability that needs to be sheltered gets mind-numbingly overstated imo.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The problem is that a few media hacks make comments not knowing  a whiff of what they're talking about - and it gets parroted endlessly by their peers.

Myers was not only not sheltered - he played with Kulikov, Morrow and Chiarot - but he was also a penalty killer - more than 2 minutes a game as a pker on a team that had lots of capable penalty killing options.

In any event, referring to penalty killers as if they are guys that need to be "heavily sheltered" - is illogical and just plain incorrect.

I don't think you know what sheltered means.  It doesn't relate to your partner.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'm just wondering who's gonna pay Jake Gardiner.

So much pointless prattle/noise around Myers getting overpaid.

People think Myers is getting overpaid at $6M a season for 5 years? Seriously?