The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Did you see the list of mediocre defenseman who were moved this year and last?  How can you sit there and say Hutton had absolutely no value?  He's a Pouliot level D-man(no value)?  Or is he Del Zotto(low value) level or better?

Yet, no one wanted Hutton, even though apparently he was being shopped. If other teams didn't want him, that means he had no value. What part of that do you not understand?

36 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

We got capspace.  As I said, capspace is an asset, one we can spend on someone else.  Someone else better or more suitable

Yes, again never said we couldn't. I do think Hutton was a suitable fit though at the right price, which is now what they're trying to negotiate.

I'm glad we can agree capspace is an asset, so if I'm ever critical of this regime for not using it as such, I can count on your support on that, right? <_<

Again -- Edler, Hughes, Stecher, Tanev, all still here and you want Hutton back as well.  Do you want to improve the D or not?  If so, how do you improve it by bringing back the same players?  Someone(s) HAVE to go.

Its frustrating trying to have a conversation with you when your just trying to take what I said out of context to create an argument for yourself. But anyways, sure lets go down this road.

Yes I've only been saying all over this board the defense needs to improve.

I said I think Hutton is fine in a #4/5 role, ideally #5-6. Would I like him back to play on our third pair? Sure why not. As long as we aren't relying on him to play all year in the top 4 what's the problem? Its that or we sign another guy for the bottom pair, which I'm sure players aren't lining up to take a discount for our team.

Last year, speaking of getting rid of guys, Pouliot was our 3rd LHD, when Edler went down he was on our 2nd pair. That was a huge problem & now he's gone thank god. If Hutton is bumped down & takes that role that would be an upgrade from last year.

Everyone agrees the defense needs to improve. So how is it going to happen? Tell me, and be realistic here. We need a RHD badly, the target it Myers. We don't have cap space, nor is there a surplus of T4D on the market for us to add 2-3 guys & instantly bolster our blueline.

So lets say we sign Myers to a big contract, and that's the only big ticket D we can afford. Since we still need to sign Boeser, then there's the Luongo thing & protecting our cap space for the future.

We can't trade for a good Top 4D outright because we don't have the assets. (which is why I always say weaponize cap space) So the options are either try to find a team that needs to make a soft deal & unload money. Or we're gunna have to gamble on someone of Hutton's ilk.

We're just simply not in a position of strength trying to improve this defense. Which is why can't just get rid of all of these guys. We have to still try to get value where we can.

Pouliots gone, Gudbranson's gone, those are guys that struggled last year big time. I'd like to see Tanev go but we might not be able to replace him. And we've already covered Hutton.

Soooo, you don't blame management, but they tanked his value and wore him out.  But you don't blame them.  Which one is it?

Fact -- Hutton tanked his own value.  If he was worth in the range of $4million he'd still be here.

Yeah Hutton was a huge part of it, he was also benched the whole year while Pouliot & Del Zaster played. That didn't help.

Jim Benning thought Gudbranson & Sbisa were worth in the range of 4 Million, in comparison to them & some of the other over-payments I can see why Hutton would be seeking that, considering we had no depth & had to overplay him last year.

I don't blame Jim Benning specifically for not qualifying him under these circumstances. But that doesn't matter does it? you'll try to paint it that I do anyways.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

Just now, The 5th Line said:

That's not how the Hamhuis deal went down.  Benning didn't pull the trigger, Dallas said F you then and took Calgary's deal

When was he actively shopped?  And if he was, then that's even worse because there is someone out there for sure that would take Hutton.  I can't believe you are all pooping on Hutton this badly.  He has value 

1. You're wrong about Hamhuis literally listened to Friedman’s report on that deal 1 was to Washington, he said no. Gave the OK to Chicago but a deal wasn't able to be reached due to Blackhawks cap room. He delayed the ok to Dallas and they got impatient and pulled the trigger on the Calgary deal...

2. I’ve literally never said Hutton has no value, just stated he was actively shopped and no deal happened. It's been reported by numerous sources. 

But it doesn't fit your sandbag Benning lame narrative as usual so you dismiss it. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Everyone agrees the defense needs to improve. So how is it going to happen? Tell me, and be realistic here. We need a RHD badly, the target it Myers. We don't have cap space, nor is there a surplus of T4D on the market for us to add 2-3 guys & instantly bolster our blueline.

It doesn't improve by keeping the same guys that haven't got it done the past 2-3 years, so you move on.  Hutton out, Tanev out, not to mention the likes of Pouliot and Biega.  Stecher we keep for now.  We have cap to sign players, and/or we make trades if prices are reasonable, until the prospects are ready to step in.  Hughes is in, Juolevi will get games this year as well.  Many teams are up against the cap and will be forced to move players, like Vegas did tonight.  Benning said he wants to sign "at least one", so I expect to see two new bodies coming in, by whatever means.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It doesn't improve by keeping the same guys that haven't got it done the past 2-3 years, so you move on.  Hutton out, Tanev out, not to mention the likes of Pouliot and Biega.  Stecher we keep for now.  We have cap to sign players, and/or we make trades if prices are reasonable, until the prospects are ready to step in.  Hughes is in, Juolevi will get games this year as well.  Many teams are up against the cap and will be forced to move players, like Vegas did tonight.  Benning said he wants to sign "at least one", so I expect to see two new bodies coming in, by whatever means.

All easier said then done buddy.

I agree, especially with capitalizing on cap teams. I just don't think you can get rid of everyone, snap your fingers, and all this stuff is accomplished. 

15 Million to sign a T4D (say Myers), then Boeser, then add in Luongo's cap hit & any other fringe guys. Unless they can move Eriksson or Sutter I don't see more than 1 high profile UFA D. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

22 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

It's really not that big of a deal. Just another example of assets going to waste(if he walks).    

I don’t really think Hutton played himself into a position of being an asset ..  I think Ben has been a work in progress that continues.

Makes me think that he should have spent at least a solid season in Utica before the Bigs.. 

Ben has always seemed promising,. But after 4 years there is little to show that he is worth 1.5 - 2m per..  if he stays his time and space is now going to be hindering the value of a prospect at his level.

I think the Ben project is over,. I was originally thinking Christmas to show or go..    but asset management is becoming stagnant if he stays.

New guys on the block are Hughes, Joulevi, Breisbois, Sautner, Teves, McEneny.. and the probable return of Tryamkin.

Does Ben become a 6 - 7 Dman?   ..Biegga is the bottom line.. and that man is tenacious.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

All easier said then done buddy.

I agree, especially with capitalizing on cap teams. I just don't think you can get rid of everyone, snap your fingers, and all this stuff is accomplished. 

15 Million to sign a T4D (say Myers), then Boeser, then add in Luongo's cap hit & any other fringe guys. Unless they can move Eriksson or Sutter I don't see more than 1 high profile UFA D. 

Well, can't get rid of "everyone", at least not right away.  But with Edler back, Hughes going nowhere, and Stecher likely staying that means it has to be Hutton and Tanev out if we really want to change up the D.  If Benning can't move Tanev now then he goes later, TDL or such.  We are probably frontrunners for Myers if the contract works, and there are plenty of placeholders out there that we can use for a year or two -- solid defenders with some size and grit.  So yes, one high-profile UFA D plus a placeholder.  Then next year Juolevi should be full-time, Tryamkin may return, and probably a good chance Woo is ready.  Barrie could also go UFA, along with Krug.  LOTS of options!

Maybe wishful thinking, but I think Eriksson goes once we hit July 1st.  He's done here, just a matter of if/what cap savings we get.  Spooner and Schaller to the farm.  Baertschi... haven't heard a thing, probably have to wait till training camp to see how he is.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

This is good news.  If we can get him for a much lower amount it makes sense to have him stay.  I bet Hutton wants to stay and can have the opportunity to prove that he can develop further.  To be honest I would rather have Hutton than somebody like Benn for the 2mil range.  We need a 1-4 D (Myers or Risto) and a 5-7 D (Hutton)

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Y'all gotta be careful trying to spread fakenews when The 5th Line is around

@shayster007 why the confused face bud?  Its fake news, look it up

From what I heard Dan had shut down several trades, before finally accepting Dallas. Then, from what I understand Dallas low balled us on a offer and Benning told them to shove it. I wouldn't consider this all "fake news".

It takes two to tango, which you seem to never consider. You stated in another thread they could have "easily traded" Hutton. Says who? You? Because the reports coming out at the deadline said that the asked around and no one wanted to trade for him. Doesn't seem so easy. With the hammer trade he accepted a trade to a single team, who was then reported to low ball us. Again, doesn't seem so easy.

Anyways the terms itself deserves a confused face. I'm sure throwing around the phrase coined by Trump, the biggest tool is current history, is really going to drive home your point...

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 3

8 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

This is good news.  If we can get him for a much lower amount it makes sense to have him stay.  I bet Hutton wants to stay and can have the opportunity to prove that he can develop further.  To be honest I would rather have Hutton than somebody like Benn for the 2mil range.  We need a 1-4 D (Myers or Risto) and a 5-7 D (Hutton)

Hutton is my top choice (actually trading for Dillon at below market/cap dump value is my first choice) for the "free" market. If he finds greener pastures, then I'm content with someone like Benn on a short term deal. Although I might even consider just giving Sautner a longer look and giving Brisebois/Juolevi/Teves looks as well. If Rathbone and/or Tryamkin signs on with us late in the season, they are primed for a look as well. Hutton is expendable, but we could use a stop gap for developmental purposes and for injury insurance. So he should be careful what price he's asking for, but I wouldn't low-ball him either. I'm comfortable with 2.5-3 million, so basically what he's getting paid now but extended. However he needs to also be aware that he's likely the odd one out if we need to make room, so I don't blame him of he chooses to walk.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Woooww

Why does nobody check their facts before engaging in conversation with me?  

And I love how the fakenews always gets the upvotes.  

tenor.gif

What are the facts then? (not saying you're wrong, you just seem to be saying everything's fake but offering no substance yourself). 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1