The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(UPDATED - Post July 1st) Roster Depth Chart

Rate this topic

DBronco

I don't see Hughes & Stecher as a pairing (especially if it's going to be getting 20 minutes a game).  Need a better balance between size & skill.  They'll have a tough time against big physical NHL forwards.  As I've said before, OJ isn't ready for the NHL yet.  Still needs to work on his defense.  Let him play out a full season on the Comets (perhaps later on in the season....he'll get a callup).

Course, it's still way early in the off-season.  Don't know what free agents Benning can sign.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't see Hughes & Stecher as a pairing (especially if it's going to be getting 20 minutes a game).  Need a better balance between size & skill.  They'll have a tough time against big physical NHL forwards.  As I've said before, OJ isn't ready for the NHL yet.  Still needs to work on his defense.  Let him play out a full season on the Comets (perhaps later on in the season....he'll get a callup).

Course, it's still way early in the off-season.  Don't know what free agents Benning can sign.

Good point. I hope we have some more depth at D with a few signings or trades coming up soon. I just think Olli or Schenn could be in that top 6 spot. Not trying to predict lines yet more just looking at the depth we have right now and more so ranking the players

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

That set of D is most likely the worst set of D in the NHL.  Wow, i feel sorry for our goalies if we don't make pick up a UFA d man. 

Well JB's stated that a defensive overhaul is on the summer agenda, a number of times...

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

OK fellow CDCers. Time and time again we complain about new posters and want a "minimum post count" to start threads.

Our boy @DBronco just put up a very well thought out and genuine thread with his first post. Give the dude some love.

Cheers DBronco!

Cheers @luckylager thanks a ton! Glad to contribute. Hopefully I can get that post count up a bit! 

1 minute ago, DBronco said:

Cheers @luckylager thanks a ton! Glad to contribute. Hopefully I can get that post count up a bit! 

Don't worry about it man. As it stands you're the exception to the rule.

I don't really start topics because of the time and effort required to start a quality thread. 

I appreciate your work man. Thanks for the contribution

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Actually, not even close.

Pfffft..

Worse than-

Edler Tanev

Hughes Stech

Joulevi Biega

?

Rob. Be honest with us and yourself.

There's no way that's not the worst starting D lineup in the NHL. Good thing thing that WILL NOT BE our starting D. 

• Cheers 1

DBronco well done! I apologize, but some people don’t seem to understand how depth charts work, but that’s not on you.

Guys, depth charts put players in their best position, with the better players are at the top. This pays no attention to size, styles, or chemistry. It’s just at this point in time, who’s better than who. That means Baer - Petey - Brock isn’t a line, but if we were to put our strongest natural LW, C and RW together that’s what it would be. 

I could be wrong and this is in fact a lineup, to which I say more goes into lines than strictly ability. Either way, this’ll be a good thread to watch over time. 

Great work!

Overall, I agree with most of your assessments, though I'll point out a few things just for fun :P

• I would have Miller on the first line with Baertschi on the 2nd line. Sven has had some strong chemistry with Bo and I think Miller has shown a higher ceiling than Baertschi, so he's more likely to get a chance there.
  • I agree that Sutter and Beagle are pretty interchangeable, though Sutter has shown a higher aptitude for offense in the past, so that could be a distinguishing factor between the two.
  • I'd prefer to see Gaudette in Utica unless he surprises at training camp. I think his offensive game needs more refining. I'd have Beagle in his place.
  • I think Virtanen has a good chance of being on the third line above Leivo, but I could see that swinging either way.
  • Seeing as he's qualified, Goldobin looks to remain on this team, but I'm not sure where he'll fit.
  • I think Eriksson is still good enough to play on this team, but only just. His spot on the roster is in jeopardy if he doesn't pick up his game this year.
  • I like Boucher as well, but he's shown that his game is too one-dimensional for the NHL and his offense isn't enough to make up for that at the NHL level. I also don't think we qualified him, so there's a good chance he's gone.
  • Juolevi is a wild card--I have him starting the year off in Utica and eventually getting a call-up when Tanev is injured at some point. Otherwise, I expect Hutton might be re-signed for that spot. Signing another big FA name would also fill that void by pushing Stecher or Hughes down to the 3rd pairing.
  • I'd agree that Teves and Rafferty didn't particularly impress me last year--Brisebois was also particularly uninspiring. I'd have McEneny and Sautner ahead of all three of them.

Great post!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Pfffft..

Worse than-

Edler Tanev

Hughes Stech

Joulevi Biega

?

Rob. Be honest with us and yourself.

There's no way that's not the worst starting D lineup in the NHL. Good thing thing that WILL NOT BE our starting D. 

Not even the Zamboni driver at Rogers Arena has Biega in our starting lineup.  Tyler Myers was visiting Francesco Aquilini this past weekend.  My gut feeling is we will see at least 2 new faces in the starting lineup come October and Juolevi will be starting in Utica.  I could see this as our starting lineup in October:

Hughes   Myers

Edler       Tanev

Nemeth   Stecher

Juolevi will be called up when Tanev and Edler are injured and we will also see Brisebois and Rafferty at some point. 

Next year is the year where our defence can take a significant turn as we can see Juolevi, Tryamkin and Woo all on the opening roster.  That would be exciting times for sure.

• Like 1

Nice work....

Gaudette is still below both Sutter and Beagle, but hopefully won't be for long. Needs more seasoning and expect him to play wing or in the AHL unless we have injuries.

And definitely expect two more D men to come in.

Maybe Hutton will be re-signed at a cheaper contract, in which case it'll be one, but definitely two more than the list shows.

• Upvote 2

On the AHL. Said it before(& IMO bears repeating) a few of our kids have been hurt down there, a result of deliberately dirty plays. I'm not sure what the answer is to this problem, but it makes me feel reluctant to send our top prospects down .

Last Nov as our IR list started growing in the bigs, seemed every AHL game our kids were getting run. Doesn't seem to be any accountability for such misdeeds. NHL squads don't care if their 28, 29 yr old AHL goons have to sit for a few.

Wouldn't mind at all if they dress extra muscle in Utica.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not even the Zamboni driver at Rogers Arena has Biega in our starting lineup.  Tyler Myers was visiting Francesco Aquilini this past weekend.  My gut feeling is we will see at least 2 new faces in the starting lineup come October and Juolevi will be starting in Utica.  I could see this as our starting lineup in October:

Hughes   Myers

Edler       Tanev

Nemeth   Stecher

Juolevi will be called up when Tanev and Edler are injured and we will also see Brisebois and Rafferty at some point. 

Next year is the year where our defence can take a significant turn as we can see Juolevi, Tryamkin and Woo all on the opening roster.  That would be exciting times for sure.

if that is our defense for next season, i’ld have them;

edler...stecher

hughes...myers

nemeth...tanev. 

with juolevi, woo and maybe tryamkin coming i hope they have spots thought out before they give long term contracts out.

Edited by smithers joe
  • Upvote 2