The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Jim Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Jim Benning  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against the Managment of the Canucks team under Jim Benning?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2019 at 10:51 AM

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Earth to tomatoes... you can't trade long term ntc's and nmc's unless they agree but some didn't and held out and same with others that held out longer and finally agreed, and some not at all. All you can do is plug whatever spots you can until it's back to square one which was last year in case you didn't notice... 

Now it's all in his shoulders, no excuses and if he fails to make the team into a true cup contender within the next year or 2 then yeah he can go but he made a core of Alien Bo and Brock and is trying to upgrade and just has with JT and anything new he pulls off and now we have Pods waiting in the wings that won't be lost to the ED... which was smart as he can fill any forward spot in the top six if one gets lost to seattle..

And JB's on the right track even with a loss of 3 million luongo's contract handicap to boot which was MG's move, not his...  wish you'd put some more thought into your b.s. and then go and ask any GM in the league how easy it would have been to be a GM have to work out all that out... any one of them would laugh in your face and walk away not bothering to answer as you wouldn't understand and asking that question showed it... it's not rocket science to know it would be next to impossible until the circumstances changed so, sorry one can't build a contender if you have guy's you want upgraded have clauses plus a thing called a salary cap. 

Still can't get your head around the details of a GM can you?

Lol I still don’t get how the NTC and NMC has anything to do with his poor trades.

Can you read bro? Him trading away picks for garbage, which he has done for 5 years, has nothing to do with NMC and NTC or whatever BS you are spewing... because premium draft picks don’t have NTC’s or NMCs. Haha

Trying to change the topic and go completely out of context is the only defense Benning lovers have these days or something?lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

It's unclear to me what is happening with Hutton, but it looks as if our 3rd best D after Stecher and Tanev/Edler (= one full player, as each misses half the season) has not received a qualifying offer.  Hughes has yet to prove he is our best D, I assume he will be, but... sample size matters.  What is worrying about the Hutton situation is that if he walks, we lose a D after a remarkable come back year, a guy who played the second most minutes on the team.  Too good to risk arbitration with, but not good enough to keep?  Please tell me this is not what is happening.

Ben Hutton is simply not worth the $4m+ he would have got in arbitration if we had qualified him. We can still re-sign him to a more reasonable cap hit should he chose to stay.

Otherwise, we're better off signing a 3rd pair D for $1.5-$2.5m (perhaps someone who brings better defense and more physicality as well) and use the remaining +/- $2m difference to put towards improving our top 4/RD depth.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Rafferty>Hutton, Raff is clearly a better D and has some physical bite and we need that

I thought Rafferty was fantastic, and seemed especially suited to pp work with Hughes.  But, again: sample size, and again: still only moves Hutton down one more peg on the depth chart.  I.e., Hutton gets knocked down to... 5th? 6th?  We need 7 D, probably 8 signed?  Unless a UFA is coming that isn't here yet, and unless Juolevi and Woo are considered absolute locks for next year, I don't see how we dump Hutton.  Sure, dump Pouliot, np there.  But Hutton was on the upswing. We have signed 12 forwards, minimum, probably 13.  Have we locked up 7 D?  Stech, Edler, Tanev, Hughes... Rafferty, I guess,, then who? Hutton carried about 1/6th of the Defence load last year.  IF Hughes can carry as many hours as Hutton did BUT we dump Pouliot? 

(1) Stech, (2) Edler/Tanev (equivalent to 1 full-time D due to injury unavailability)

(3) Hughes,   (4) Rafferty

(5) Juolevi?  (6) Schenn.

(7) Biega. (8) Woo?

Are Biega, Woo, Schenn and Rafferty reliably better than Hutton?  Will Juolevi even make the team? 

IMO, Hutton is somewhere after the number 4 D, assuming he is better than Rafferty.  That still assumes he must be worse than these bottom 4, if he is dumped. Worse than Biega and Woo?  I don't think Schenn is better than Hutton.  

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

For me, I'm sick of all the excuses. I want a GM who will win trades, acquire the right free agents, and ensure organizational stability. And I want it before the current one undermines the opportunity we have to build a contending team around Pettersson.

You want want want but your not the owner your not part of management, you are a fan so guess what all you get is an opinion just like myself and everyone else on this forum. the point of this post was to show you are in the minority. the majority believe we are headed in the right direction. and D-Money you are one of the most vocal of the minority.

Most people wanted a UFA signing when we got LE. Some wanted LE others wanted ML and it was the minority at the time that was on team tank.

The Kesler trade had to happen and I personally like Sutter he averages the most mins on the PK league wide. He is a major reason our PK was 11th in the league.

And on the topic of Gudbranson, I liked the trade, he was suppose to be Jason Garrisons replacement remember that guy one of Gillies acquisitions. Gillies had some bad trades and signings as well some argue he inherited that Stanley Cup Final team from the past regime. But JB was able to move Garrison for a second round pick. Gudbranson was 24 year old big body d-man who looked like he was on the rise and when he didn't work out JB was able trade him for Pearson. All in all not so bad I would agree due to term on Pearson contract it could go bad or Pearson could be a steal at his cap hit.

Edited by Arrow 1983

21 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol I still don’t get how the NTC and NMC has anything to do with his poor trades.

Can you read bro? Him trading away picks for garbage, which he has done for 5 years, has nothing to do with NMC and NTC or whatever BS you are spewing... because premium draft picks don’t have NTC’s or NMCs. Haha

Trying to change the topic and go completely out of context is the only defense Benning lovers have these days or something?lol

Well you know...Tomatoes this business is what have you done for me lately. Well JB just killed the last draft and made a very good trade which put you naysayers in a huge minority.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

Well you know...Tomatoes this business is what have you done for me lately. Well JB just killed the last draft and made a very good trade which put you naysayers in a huge minority.  

257 in favour of JB

22 against JB

Thats a serious pounding.  

Did you know it’s proven that the more people who are involved in a decision the more accurate the results?  Just saying. :towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Ben Hutton is simply not worth the $4m+ he would have got in arbitration if we had qualified him. We can still re-sign him to a more reasonable cap hit should he chose to stay.

Otherwise, we're better off signing a 3rd pair D for $1.5-$2.5m (perhaps someone who brings better defense and more physicality as well) and use the remaining +/- $2m difference to put towards improving our top 4/RD depth.

Are we gambling that he stays, then?  I know arbitration is always risky for management, but he could simply walk.  If I thought Woo or Juolevi (ideally both) were going to make the team then this gamble is a good one, sure.  But if Juolevi is injured yet again, or Woo just isn't NHL capable yet,  I'm not sure we're better off counting on Biega and or Schenn let alone Sautner  to move into the top 5.  

Just now, gameburn said:

Are we gambling that he stays, then?  I know arbitration is always risky for management, but he could simply walk.  If I thought Woo or Juolevi (ideally both) were going to make the team then this gamble is a good one, sure.  But if Juolevi is injured yet again, or Woo just isn't NHL capable yet,  I'm not sure we're better off counting on Biega and or Schenn let alone Sautner  to move into the top 5.  

We're not gambling he stays. We're not counting on Biega or Schenn.

We'll be signing likely multiple UFA's, which may or may not include Hutton should he be open to staying on a more reasonable cap hit.

If not, we can likely upgrade on defense ability and physicality for less money as there's a huge crop of 3rd pair D available who do just that. Then, as I said, apply the saved cap space to upgrading our top 4 / RD (whether that's by UFA, trade or both).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 6string said:

What a fail bringing Edmonton into the conversation.

Benning has us ready for lift off, enjoy the ride!

What a fail comparing our poor club results rebuild to the Coilers..... 

The jury is out with JB , time will tell. 

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We're not gambling he stays. We're not counting on Biega or Schenn.

We'll be signing likely multiple UFA's, which may or may not include Hutton should he be open to staying on a more reasonable cap hit.

If not, we can likely upgrade on defense ability and physicality for less money as there's a huge crop of 3rd pair D available who do just that. Then, as I said, apply the saved cap space to upgrading our top 4 / RD (whether that's by UFA, trade or both).

Are there really that many UFAs available that will accept something less than 3 or 4 million?  I had the impression that teams have to overpay a bit to get UFAs.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

257 in favour of JB

22 against JB

Thats a serious pounding.  

Did you know it’s proven that the more people who are involved in a decision the more accurate the results?  Just saying. :towel:

Doesn't mean a thing.  86 % of BC citizens still believe BC liberal party cared about our province...

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Are there really that many UFAs available that will accept something less than 3 or 4 million?  I had the impression that teams have to overpay a bit to get UFAs.

3rd pair D don't make $3-$4m.

• Upvote 1

Let me explain (or is that mansplain) something...90% + believe that man is good. Also 50% are below average. And 70% are probably idiots. Does that poll result really surprise you?

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Doesn't mean a thing.  86 % of BC citizens still believe BC liberal party cared about our province...

• Wat 1

22 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great results....

2015–16 82 31 38 13 75 191 243 6th, Pacific Did not qualify
2016–17 82 30 43 9 69 182 243 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2017–18 82 31 40 11 73 218 264 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2018–19 82 35 36 11 81 225 254 5th, Pacific Did not qualify

This is why we traded those draft picks away, to stay competitive.  If we are bottom feeders it will ruin our prospects and you don't need top picks to rebuild. . oh wait.  Where's all the CDC people that were making those claims when Benning was doing his thing early on? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

This is why we traded those draft picks away, to stay competitive.  If we are bottom feeders it will ruin our prospects and you don't need top picks to rebuild. . oh wait.  Where's all the CDC people that were making those claims when Benning was doing his thing early on? 

Early on he was tanking...the only reason he still has a job is because of the future he is putting on the ice. It is a what have you done lately in the world of sports.

Edited by spur1