The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Jim Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Jim Benning  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against the Managment of the Canucks team under Jim Benning?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2019 at 10:51 AM

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

This is why we traded those draft picks away, to stay competitive.  If we are bottom feeders it will ruin our prospects and you don't need top picks to rebuild. . oh wait.  Where's all the CDC people that were making those claims when Benning was doing his thing early on? 

Too many posters here are worried about competing for 25th overall.... even if it cost us the first overall.

People are scared of going for excellence and they are better suited for mediocrity.  Sad.

True Canuck fans want a Stanley Cup.    Jim Benning is trying to walk the line between rebuilding the club  ( 3 yrs too late ) and retaining a contract for himself.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol I still don’t get how the NTC and NMC has anything to do with his poor trades.

Can you read bro? Him trading away picks for garbage, which he has done for 5 years, has nothing to do with NMC and NTC or whatever BS you are spewing... because premium draft picks don’t have NTC’s or NMCs. Haha

Trying to change the topic and go completely out of context is the only defense Benning lovers have these days or something?lol

Yet you’ve repeatedly stated he lost all his trades.   So we should have got a first for Beiksa, two firsts for Hansen and Burrows right?   And how many games has Granlund played with us? How many did Shinkaruk?  How many picks did we get for Lack again? Hmmm...five years lost all his trades ... good grief ... oh yeah and second for Bear what a waste too.  Pearson, what a bum.  

Things aren’t as black and white as your trying to make them out to be, just because a lot of us support Benning doesn’t mean we don’t see the grey areas or can’t acknowledge the bad moves.  No GM is perfect.  Heck look Yzerman and all his shine from TB make a splash by picking a guy he could have traded down a few spots and added a second and still got his man, or even right out of the top ten and added a small treasure heap of extras..worst case there was still Soderstrom whom pretty much everyone ranked higher .... thinking he’s gonna to miss the scouts in TB, been batting the best average by far in the draft the past four years.  

Or Bergevin making fans want to puke when he left sure things on the board last year for his coveted center.  Plus a entire novel of questionable moves over the years.  Dubas.  Well he’s got his nickname for a reason, literally lobbed a hand grenade into every GMs RFA negotiation’s going forward.   Loved to here what you’d have to say about some of them.   Man just gave up a first for a year of Marleau, and he won’t even be playing for them ha ha ha you’d be puking your guts out over that one.  

NO GM is perfect.  Never have been.  Quin did a lot of good things but look at his drafting aside from Bure it was pretty bad. Stajonov became Näslund though...

Id like to see what Benning can manage once we have a decent team again and we aren’t far off thanks to him.  Five years but only three years of concentrated rebuilding and we are sniffling the playoffs already?...wow...CAR just waited a decade AND CLB who’s been around for decades now just won their first series in I think their third ever appearance.  In fact there are sixteen experienced managers that don’t make the playoffs each year.  Doesn’t mean they are bad necessarily. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Too many posters here are worried about competing for 25th overall.... even if it cost us the first overall.

People are scared of going for excellence and they are better suited for mediocrity.  Sad.

True Canuck fans want a Stanley Cup.    Jim Benning is trying to walk the line between rebuilding the club  ( 3 yrs too late ) and retaining a contract for himself.

King, I think JB is actually putting his belief in the new young core.  He’s giving them the best support he’s able to in order to do their best.  He’s kind of striving for excellence.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Early on he was tanking...the only reason he still has a job is because of the future he is putting on the ice.

PIcking up useless pieces like Vey was the opposite of a tank.    Benning has always been primarily about Benning...

Just now, Alflives said:

King, I think JB is actually putting his belief in the new young core.  He’s giving them the best support he’s able to in order to do their best.  He’s kind of striving for excellence.  

I  agree that maybe finally JB has drawn the line and said this is the group i go to war with...  now is the time.

My only thought is why now ?      I really don't think our current group is ready to push.  Clearly we are at least a few years away...

Could it be the fact Dim JIm's  contract is up this year ?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Gunnarsson, Nemeth, Chiarot, Benn etc

I looked up each of them, after what you said.

Benn is in his 30s, so age is an issue imo.

The other 3 are no better than Hutton from what I can tell.  And Hutton may not have fully developed yet.  

So... if I were Benning, I'd probably maintain contact with him, say you want him back, but not sure about 4.1 to 4.8 million, maybe 3 instead?  Basically, try to keep him.

I don't think other teams are going to pay him more than that, but can't be sure.  Avoiding arbitration looks like a smart move for a team worried about money now or in a year or two.  Wasn't aware that was us, but maybe Benning knows something/is planning something.  

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I  agree that maybe finally JB has drawn the line and said this is the group i go to war with...  now is the time.

My only thought is why now ?      I really don't think our current group is ready to push.  Clearly we are at least a few years away...

Could it be the fact Dim JIm's  contract is up this year ?

I think us seeing how great Petey is, and then watching Hughes eat up 22 minutes like it was easy accelerated the idea when to push fir the playoffs.  We have a number one centre, a number two centre, a scoring winger, a stud d man, and top goaltending.  It’s time, as you say, to go to war with these guys, but give them air and artillery support.  Sure, it could be Aquilini pushing JB’s buttons too.  But IMO, we are ready to push regardless.  These young guys we have are worth it.  

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Things aren’t as black and white as your trying to make them out to be, just because a lot of us support Benning doesn’t mean we don’t see the grey areas or can’t acknowledge the bad moves.  No GM is perfect. 

CDC:  No GM is perfect, Benning has made some mistakes.

Also CDC:  Will defend every move by Benning to the death.

Vey?....  Good gamble

Virtanen?.....  Nylander & Ehlers are soft

Eriksson?.....  It's not your money what do you care

Refusing to blow it up?.....  It's the owner's fault

Trading away picks while rebuilding?......  2016 - You can't tank losing ruins prospects.  2018 - Look at all the great picks he made with those high picks, great drafter

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think us seeing how great Petey is, and then watching Hughes eat up 22 minutes like it was easy accelerated the idea when to push fir the playoffs.  We have a number one centre, a number two centre, a scoring winger, a stud d man, and top goaltending.  It’s time, as you say, to go to war with these guys, but give them air and artillery support.  Sure, it could be Aquilini pushing JB’s buttons too.  But IMO, we are ready to push regardless.  These young guys we have are worth it.  

I agree we have some pretty crazy talent young kids now on the team... I really just am not sure if it will be Hughes time right now...  the guy is just a kid.

It will surely take him a few years to get to elite status.      EP is just a freak how fast he figured it out. This is not typical.  We should not expect our young kids to develop at EP speed.....   this is not a typical developmental path...

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

What a fail comparing our poor club results rebuild to the Coilers..... 

The jury is out with JB , time will tell. 

It's difficult for you to grasp that Benning is not running the Oilers organization, he's done great job here in Vancouver cleaning up your fave GM's mess left behind by Mike Gillis.

Your buddy Mike has never been interviewed for a job in the NHL since departing :)

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Benning is the GM of the team. He's expected to build the team, that's his job.

Outside of Stecher, he's done nothing to improve this defense over the 5 years he's been here.

"It's hard to find good D-men" is not an acceptable excuse. How low are your expectations? Like I've always said, if the object is to be awful and draft high, you or I could be the GM, don't need some hockey professional.

Good GMs find a way. San Jose added a generational D-man for peanuts, NJD and NYR just added top D-men for peanuts. Just because Benning hasn't got things done, doesn't mean the opportunity was never there. There's always an excuse for what he didn't/couldn't do, when to me it seems more like he doesn't have the capabilities to get the job done.

Tryamkin, Juolevi, Hughes, Woo, Rathbone, Teves, Rafferty... 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 6string said:

It's difficult for you to grasp that Benning is not running the Oilers organization, he's done great job here in Vancouver cleaning up your fave GM's mess left behind by Mike Gillis.

Your buddy Mike has never been interviewed for a job in the NHL since departing :)

Sounds like your buddy Willie D that Benning hired..... as his first coach...

Face it.   JB has had very little success as a GM and is on the last year of an expiring contract. Could very well be his one and done contract. 

Time will telll. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I agree we have some pretty crazy talent young kids now on the team... I really just am not sure if it will be Hughes time right now...  the guy is just a kid.

It will surely take him a few years to get to elite status.      EP is just a freak how fast he figured it out. This is not typical.  We should not expect our young kids to develop at EP speed.....   this is not a typical developmental path...

I don’t disagree at all King.  The way the young star players are getting such huge contracts coming out of their ELC’s though, this might be the new way of competing.  Support them now, before they’re paid so much there’s only enough left for artillery, but no air support.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t disagree at all King.  The way the young star players are getting such huge contracts coming out of their ELC’s though, this might be the new way of competing.  Support them now, before they’re paid so much there’s only enough left for artillery, but no air support.  

Many teams gain some traction only to slip back in the standings the following year.

I hope our club keeps progressing but we have really benefited from BB and EP to be honest.    It either of them regresses a bit our club will struggle.

I think it could take a bit for Hughes to get up to physical strength to be elite for 80 games.  He may need 2-3 years to get to that level. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Many teams gain some traction only to slip back in the standings the following year.

I hope our club keeps progressing but we have really benefited from BB and EP to be honest.    It either of them regresses a bit our club will struggle.

I think it could take a bit for Hughes to get up to physical strength to be elite for 80 games.  He may need 2-3 years to get to that level. 

Yup, that certainly could all happen.  What could also happen is Petey puts up 100 points, Hughes puts up 60, and they both are looking at 11 million dollar contracts in two seasons.  The first round pick can be 2021 too.  This group has another full season and more to mature.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Drafting is awesome 

Trading is below average 

Contracts are average

Asset management is amateur at best

People speaking is elementary 

I think he deserves to stay and will improve as he learns.

Fair evaluation if Juolevi and Jake turn out...   but too late really to evaluate him on his drafting...  Time will tell.

Agree on the rest though

• Cheers 1