The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Jim Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Jim Benning  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against the Managment of the Canucks team under Jim Benning?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2019 at 10:51 AM

I am pleased to see the poll results at this time.  There are some very loud negative Nancies.  I suspect many of these are on the perpetual team tank that would rather get the number one pick year over year than see consistent, gradual improvement.  To my way of thinking these people are gamblers, and not in the risk taking for benefit sense, but rather the idiot addict sense.  They would rather be building the perfect team forever than ever ice one that wins.

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I read what you wrote. I just find it extremely hard to believe you read a "sequence" of anti-Benning posts in a forum that is over 90% pro-Benning. Might want to go out and buy a lottery ticket if that actually happened. [/quote]

I really dont care what you believe. 

Your post, just like this thread and several other threads like this is just an attempt to paint Benning into some victim that he clearly isn't based on how much he's praised here.

I was responding to a post that implied many people do not take into consideration the garbage prospect pool benning had to start with. This has nothing to do with Benning being painted as a victim - it is a fact. If you want to twist that so that you can portray yourself as the supposed all knowing dissenter there is nothing I can do.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

You're the epitome of the Benning haters due to your ridiculous narrative about us missing the playoffs five years in a row. Basically everyone knows we've been rebuilding all that time, so of course we missed the playoffs, but, no, not you - you use that fact as your premise for why Benning & Co suck and should be fired. 

When you have a faulty premise, you'll have a faulty conclusion. This is the crux of where you and the Benning haters go wrong. 

Lol if you actually read the post, this has nothing to do with missing the playoffs which I am fine with. I am team tank during a rebuild.  

My narrative is solid if you don’t have Benning loving glasses.

Those are the facts.

Traded away valuable picks that amount to nothing for the goal of our franchise. Those are facts. Sorry.

1 minute ago, Darius said:

I really dont care what you believe. 

I was responding to a post that implied many people do not take into consideration the garbage prospect pool benning had to start with. This has nothing to do with Benning being painted as a victim - it is a fact. If you want to twist that so that you can portray yourself as the supposed all knowing dissenter there is nothing I can do.

Doubt anyone disagrees that he started with an almost empty cupboard.

However finishing at the bottom of the standings and picking high in the 1st round isn't some sort of plan or accomplishment.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

However finishing at the bottom of the standings and picking high in the 1st round isn't some sort of plan or accomplishment.

Having a garbage prospect pool  combined with vets on the downswings of their careers = low finishes in the standings should probably be expected.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Darius said:

Having a garbage prospect pool  combined with vets on the downswings of their careers = low finishes in the standings should probably be expected.

I don't disagree. Has nothing to do with my point, though.

11 hours ago, smithers joe said:

derek was a war horse for us. we needed more players like him. that was a good pick up. benjie made a mistake with gudbranson, but our d-men were getting man handled. guddy played tough in florida so JB took a chance. he recovered that by getting pearson. by early play, he looks like a good fit with bo. baertschi was a first round pick that they felt was given a good chance with calgary. sven started playing good hockey before the concussion problems. it was still a good pick up. the trades haven’t worked out yet of burrows and the swiss army knife but neither of them are still playing, while goldie is and the other kid is still young.  i don’t know how miller will do here but we have finding out to look forward to. 

vey didn’t work out but he was carrying a lot of baggage as we all know. he had a very good junior career, so it was worth a shot. 

it is easy for us in hindsight to point out his flaws, but every gm has those.

Haha if we are going to be bottom feeders for 5 years, which we were. Why the hell would pissing away a 3rd rounder for Dorsett be in any way shape or form a NEED. We would get to exactly where we are, ground zero, just fine without this “warhorse” . In fact, we might be above ground zero with the picks.

How hard is that for the Benning defenders to see that we didn’t and never needed any of the wheel spinning and tail chasing moves Benning made so it’s definitely not a proper justification for pissing away picks that could be coming into their own right about now if they already haven’t.

Edited by Tomatoes11

Don't forget that picking high wasn't even the plan.  Benning's goal was playoffs every year since he was hired.  We're just lucky we missed the playoffs despite his efforts to make them because without #TeamTank, we would have no Pettersson. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

I said against, but I don't strongly hate him or anything. I think he has been average. Maybe a bit below average.

Strong drafting. Questionable signings. Some wins, some losses on trades. 

Not acquiring more draft picks to leverage his strengths at the draft bothers me. But hard to know what is available. 

I would give him a C+ or a B-. Its a pass, but I would like him a lot more as a head scout or an AGM. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, kanucks25 said:

I don't disagree. Has nothing to do with my point, though.

My point is if you expected anything more than what has happened here in the past 4 or so years then you had unrealistic expectations.

IMHO Jimmy should be let go if they continue to flounder from this point on.  

Just now, Darius said:

My point is if you expected anything more than what has happened here in the past 4 or so years then you had unrealistic expectations.

Then Benning had unrealistic expectations since his goal before every season was playoffs and he routinely said that before each season.

2 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Haha if we are going to be bottom feeders for 5 years, which we were. Why the hell would pissing away a 3rd rounder for Dorsett be in any way shape or form a NEED. We would get to exactly where we are, ground zero, just fine with this “warhorse” . In fact, we might be above ground zero with the picks.

How hard is that for the Benning defenders to see that we didn’t and never needed any of the wheel spinning and tail chasing moves Benning made so it’s definitely not a proper justification for pissing away picks that could be coming into their own right about now if they already haven’t.

Needed Dorsett, and how he played the right way.  Did you read what Brock said about having Luke Schenn?  I'm okay with the third for Dorsett.  It's the seconds we gave up for Vey, Baer, Sutter, and Guddy that I thought a rebuilding team (or retooling, what ever) should do.  

Just now, FireGillis said:

Then Benning had unrealistic expectations since his goal before every season was playoffs and he routinely said that before each season.

This is a fickle market, lots to do in town with a high cost of living.  Coming out every year and saying "yeah we are going to suck" is probably not advisable with the type of ownership this team has.  I dont know for certain if he believed what he was saying, but I know enough about hockey to realistically guess when the GM is blowing hot air and when he is not.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

Didn't expect more in the standings.

Expected more when it came to asset management through trades and signings.

I think people forget that we're competing with 30 other teams. Lots of teams draft well, and there are good players and stars on every other team.

Being bad for 4-5 years and picking high won't magically make you a contender. To become a contender, you have to separate yourself from the pack, that means minimizing mistakes and hitting home-runs on transactions. The closest things to a home-run Benning has on his resume are the Leivo trade (more like a single) and the Stecher signing (more like a double).

What he's done with the defence as a whole in particular, is equivalent to showing up to the game drunk and falling asleep at home plate halfway through your at-bat.

Edited by kanucks25

16 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Funny how you talk about self-esteem when half of your post consists of taking personal shots at people on the internet anonymously.

The ironing.

I only shoot at those who shoot first - only sporting.   The woe and despair from couch potatoes on HF (and some of their ooze seeps over to here) taking pot shots at elite professional athletes is, and I will admit it, amusing even if it is also pathetic and sad.   You got me, I cannot resist shooting back.   I do admit I find the trolls are more fun to play with if they think they have a chance.   Guilty pleasure.   We all have them.

Oh, and the ironing is something I don't do myself but if you are looking for work......

81OCKE5kQoL._SX425_.jpg

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I think people forget that we're competing with 30 other teams. Lots of teams draft well, and there are good players and stars on every other team.

Being bad for 4-5 years and picking high won't magically make you a contender. To become a contender, you have to separate yourself from the pack, that means minimizing mistakes and hitting home-runs on transactions. The closest things to a home-run Benning has on his resume are the Leivo trade (more like a single) and the Stecher signing (more like a double).

What he's done with the defence as a whole in particular, is equivalent to showing up to the game drunk and falling asleep at home plate halfway through your at-bat.

Lots to go through here.

Start with the defence.  Defence costs a lot in term of assets/ dollars to build.  As an example -Calgary gave up 2 first rounders and 4 second rounders for hamonic and hamilton.  Would you have been satisfied with giving up top tier assets (either picks or young players) to rebuild the defence at any point during the past 4 years?

Edited by Darius
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

This is a fickle market, lots to do in town with a high cost of living.  Coming out every year and saying "yeah we are going to suck" is probably not advisable with the type of ownership this team has.  I dont know for certain if he believed what he was saying, but I know enough about hockey to realistically guess when the GM is blowing hot air and when he is not.

I do agree that aquilini probably has some or a lot to do with that.  However, I wish they took the rangers approach which was to inform and prepare their fans for a rebuild without saying they're going to suck.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/a-message-from-glen-sather-and-jeff-gorton-about-our-team/c-295742648

As a member of the Blueshirt Faithful, we consider you a part of the New York Rangers family, and always want to ensure we share important news about the organization directly with you. Today, we want to talk to you about the future.

As you know, since the 2005-06 season, we have been a highly competitive team. We have played 129 playoff games, won the Presidents' Trophy, reached the Conference Finals three times, as well as the Stanley Cup Final. While we're proud of all those accomplishments - we didn't reach our ultimate goal of bringing the Stanley Cup back to New York.

So as we do every season, we have been continuously evaluating our team, looking for areas that can be improved to enhance our chances of winning. We began the process of reshaping our team this past summer, when we traded for assets that we believe will help us in the years to come. As we approach the trade deadline later this month and into the summer, we will be focused on adding young, competitive players that combine speed, skill and character. This may mean we lose some familiar faces, guys we all care about and respect. While this is part of the game, it's never easy. Our promise to you is that our plans will be guided by our singular commitment: ensuring we are building the foundation for our next Stanley Cup contender.

There are no fans like Rangers fans. You are passionate, loyal and true. You fill The Garden every night, and we always know there will be a strong showing from RangersTown in every building across the League. We do not take your support for granted. We appreciate that you have always stood by us, and we ask you to remain by our side as we undertake this exciting new chapter filled with promise and change.

We will keep you informed as this process takes shape. Thank you for the incredible loyalty, pride and respect you show to the New York Rangers, each and every day.

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Lots to go through here.

Start with the defence.  Defence costs a lot in term of assets/ dollars to build.  As an example -Calgary gave up 2 first rounders and 4 second rounders for hamonic and hamilton.  Would you have been satisfied with giving up top tier assets (either picks or young players) to rebuild the defence at any point during the past 4 years?

Benning is the GM of the team. He's expected to build the team, that's his job.

Outside of Stecher, he's done nothing to improve this defense over the 5 years he's been here.

"It's hard to find good D-men" is not an acceptable excuse. How low are your expectations? Like I've always said, if the object is to be awful and draft high, you or I could be the GM, don't need some hockey professional.

Good GMs find a way. San Jose added a generational D-man for peanuts, NJD and NYR just added top D-men for peanuts. Just because Benning hasn't got things done, doesn't mean the opportunity was never there. There's always an excuse for what he didn't/couldn't do, when to me it seems more like he doesn't have the capabilities to get the job done.

• Wat 1