The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tyler Motte

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just don't know where. Ottawa doesn't need him for cap floor purposes anymore. 

I don't think there is a single team in the NHL that NEED an Eriksson to make the cap floor now...  the cheapo teams also got their own RFA's to sign up too. 

22 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

We certainly do. We have 25 players under contract and only 7 million to sign Leivo Goldobin Boeser Teves and Rafferty. Somethings got to give.

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Take away three contracts to make room for Boeser at about a million because they'll be in the minors due to roster size limitation.  That's your 23 man roster.  Completely ignore the other three guys as they'll be making around a million as well.  Absolutely no issues with signing Brock.

Yeah I don't know why this is overlooked, as the cap hit only includes your current roster.  Right now it's counting 13 forwards and 10D.  I guess Capfriendly doesn't want to presume who makes it, but the roster number has to be looked at before determining actual capspace available.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah I don't know why this is overlooked, as the cap hit only includes your current roster.  Right now it's counting 13 forwards and 10D.  I guess Capfriendly doesn't want to presume who makes it, but the roster number has to be looked at before determining actual capspace available.

My comment was in regards to there being a logjam at forward.

6 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I don't think there is a single team in the NHL that NEED an Eriksson to make the cap floor now...  the cheapo teams also got their own RFA's to sign up too. 

yeah thats a very good point. Not to mention looking at guys like Hutty who are on the secondary UFA market. 

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I can't see any other way this goes than Utica for Loui.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

Should be multiple years!

No real point in giving average 4th liners term, even for a contract you can easily bury. You should be able to find these guys all the time in free agency or on waivers, or (ideally) your farm team.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nice! I like his game. Eriksson should pay attention to the effort this guy puts out every shift. Doesn't even make a miliion dollars.

Great to see Motte got a 1-way as well, so I'm assumng he's on the roster. A fill-in while Roussel is out? I suppose he would be the 13th forward? (fill-in as injuries occur)

IMO, he's already penciled into the roster. I'm not questioning his work ethic and I don't see a better fit on the 4th line.

Pearson-Horvat-?

Miller-EP-BB

Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen

?-Beagle-Motte

?

Eriksson-Baertschi-Leivo-Goldobin-Schaller-Perron-Gaudette

So as I see it, 3 have 3 question marks and currently 6 players to fill those spots. Gaudette, unless he lights it up in preseason, will at the very least start the year in Utica. Eriksson was on that top 6 wing to end the season, so perhaps the team continues with him there to try and re-kindle some value or at least spark him again (and maybe let bygones be bygones). Roussel, as mentioned, is out for a bit so Baertschi likely fills in for that spot or could battle for that top wing spot and we see Eriksson plugged right back in to that line as a checking forward. Leivo or Schaller would be the best fit for that 4th line spot.

So barring an Eriksson move and early injuries, 2 of Schaller, Goldobin or Perron will be waived (unless we waive Biega to start the season which could be a possibility, then only one). Perron needs waivers this year, so we will see if he can earn a spot. Personally, I'd like to see if Goldobin can be on that wing with Horvat and Pearson. He would add a skilled element to the line and his defensive liability will be less exposed with two good two way players that will hunt down the puck and maybe some of their game will rub off on him. There's basically a window of opportunity for all of those listed players to win a top line spot and all would provide something a bit different that could mesh well.

I think the point I'm trying to get at here is that Motte has a spot unless someone beats him out for it (which is unlikely with how hard he works).

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Really good signing. Motte deserves a 2.5 mill contract if he can sustain his play this year.

Uh no. Have we not learned anything from the Beagle, Sutter, Schaller type contracts?

curiously, the theme of the offseason continues for the canucks. news is breaking that they have an offer on the table for tyler seguin, and, according to rumours, the oilers are considering tyler benson as a sweetener in the in-progress lucic for eriksson trade. 

unfortunately, when benning approached steve yzerman on the draft floor about the possibility of acquiring tyler bertuzzi, he was quickly rebuffed. 

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Uh no. Have we not learned anything from the Beagle, Sutter, Schaller type contracts?

First off they're not really comparable. Motte belongs on this team long term he's the perfect 4th liner and I believe he has more upside if given an opportunity in the top 9. Secondly, not too many 4th liners are on league minimum anymore. They actually eat some meaningful minutes including being on the PK. Plus, the cap has gone up significantly from the time 4th liners were getting paid a million for their services so you can't keep expecting the 1 mill contract.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

curiously, the theme of the offseason continues for the canucks. news is breaking that they have an offer on the table for tyler seguin, and, according to rumours, the oilers are considering tyler benson as a sweetener in the in-progress lucic for eriksson trade. 

unfortunately, when benning approached steve yzerman on the draft floor about the possibility of acquiring tyler bertuzzi, he was quickly rebuffed. 

Source(s)??

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

No real point in giving average 4th liners term, even for a contract you can easily bury. You should be able to find these guys all the time in free agency or on waivers, or (ideally) your farm team.

If he can keep up what he was doing last year he's no average 4th liner. He'll quickly gain a reputation for being one of the best 4th liners in the league.

31 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

My comment was in regards to there being a logjam at forward.

Okay, but we're at 38 contracts and even if we sign all our RFAs that puts us at 45.  Not too worried about the forward "logjam" as we've been there before.  It sorts itself out by either injuries, trade, or ultimately firing someone down to Utica. 

We have 8 D that require waivers so we're fine there and 13 F, although that doesn't include Brock and Petey who certainly won't be sent down.  Gaudette is the only one waivers-exempt that could go, not sure if Goldy will still be here and hopefully not Eriksson, and Schaller is a prime candidate for the NY transit system.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

If he can keep up what he was doing last year he's no average 4th liner. He'll quickly gain a reputation for being one of the best 4th liners in the league.

There's no real evidence of him being a great 4th liner other than some flashes of tenacity.

His overall impact isn't all that great. You can find me some evidence that suggests otherwise if you disagree.

• Wat 2

7 minutes ago, tas said:

Can't be true -- nothing from Eklund on it...

Sounds odd though, as Dallas has been loading up on old vets and such, as if they intend on making a big push.  And why would they give up their #1 center, not to mention why we'd want another one unless we plan to make Petey a winger?

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

There's no real evidence of him being a great 4th liner other than some flashes of tenacity.

His overall impact isn't all that great. You can find me some evidence that suggests otherwise if you disagree.

The evidence is in the games. That's like me asking you to show me evidence of the "flashes of tenacity." He was a puck hound every time he was on the ice. Finished his checks too despite being undersized. Show me evidence otherwise... Very underrated player even with this fanbase as per your bolded comment.

• Upvote 4