The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Many People Are Undervaluing Leivo

Rate this topic

MikeyD

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Came here to see what other fans thought of leivo and wow talking about degrees.....I rather get in an argument with @Alflives about which scotch is better ha Macallin all the way FYI ha

Leivo is decent.... He does a lot of things good but doesn't stand out in anyway.....I rather have a guy like Shaw....like I said his decent but nothing special.....

We agree.  Motte’s cap can be completely hidden in Utica.  To me he’s a meh player.  I’ll drink almost any single malt. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We agree.  Motte’s cap can be completely hidden in Utica.  To me he’s a meh player.  I’ll drink almost any single malt. 

I just wish Motte's hits hurt more that's only complaint I have about the spark plug ha.

Ha not picky I can respect that.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I just wish Motte's hits hurt more that's only complaint I have about the spark plug ha.

Ha not picky I can respect that.

Motte plays like how I like my scotch ... neat.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Motte plays like how I like my scotch ... neat.  

That's why I like Jake cause he knows how to rock people and nothing beats scotch on the rocks ha need more players like that. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, D-Money said:

There's a big difference. Leivo has never really dominated at any level. His only award/recognition was making the AHL all-star team (in his 3rd AHL season).

Karlsson won rookie of the year in Allsvenskan in 2011-12, and then followed that up with rookie of the year in the SHL in 2012-13. He also won playoffs MVP in the J20 Superelit tournament.

Karlsson always had the higher skill and ceiling, but just never got the opportunity to show it in Columbus. Leivo is a solid, 2-way, bottom-6 player, but he has never showed the skills Karlsson has, at any level.

Shhhh. These same people still think JV is Bertuzzi or Neely incarnate. That don’t understand these types of concepts.

On 7/2/2019 at 3:09 PM, Alflives said:

I think he meant Katy Perry, to be our new anthem singer.  :wub:

Lmao, i didn't notice you had the same reply earlier :) If she could serve popcorn in the stands wearing something that she normally wears... it would be great for attendance!

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Shhhh. These same people still think JV is Bertuzzi or Neely incarnate. That don’t understand these types of concepts.

That i find hilarious! I don't know why those two players are always brought up but there is nothing to compare with either of them. I think most didn't see those players play in the league when they started and look for stats alone to argue with.

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Isn't this thread about leivo? That has nothing to do with what you just said.

Take your act to JV thread if you want to talk about him. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2019 at 6:29 PM, mpt said:

I don’t undervalue him, I just don’t think he is very good.  He’s a 3rd liner IMO, doesn’t skate overly well, doesn’t have hands, doesn’t play overly physical, has a nice release and average offensive awareness.  Sounds like a 3rd liner to me.  Glad to have him back though, as he’s better than a lot of guys on this team.  Pearson is an ever slight improvement on Leivo but not by much, another 3rd liner.

I seem to recall him having decent speed last year....

Edited by Wayne Jetski
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Isn't this thread about leivo? That has nothing to do with what you just said.

Take your act to JV thread if you want to talk about him. 

It’s on topic. I compared a delusional view of Leivo with a delusional view of JV. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I like a lot.  Good idea.  With the way Leivo and Motte play so hard, is there a spot for Goldy?  

Actually, raising the talent of the players around the young, improving, existing core will help them all to be better. 
Having Miller with Pettersson and Boeser should make all three better. If Pearson plays like he ended the year with Horvat and Leivo (or Virtanen) will make that line better - if not Baertschi or Goldy (whoever is hot) can take a spot and when Roussel is healthy, the battle is on to see who plays up the lineup. Now Sutter is a question mark - can he stay healthy or with two strong lines ahead of him, can Gaudette take his spot. The fourth line is the fourth line with Beagle, Motte, and whoever does not make the top six. Then there are Eriksson and Schaller who will have to earn spots. Now, if a guy whines about his coach and the coach is still there, that just might be difficult for one of them, especially since he's not earning the money he is paid.

The defence should be better unless Myers turns into Gudbranson II. With Stetcher and Myers ahead of him and sharing the difficult assignments, maybe, just maybe Tanev can stay healthy - when he can, he is a heck of a good defensive D. Having Hughes should carve off offensive minutes from Edler and grant the Canucks better odds of escaping their own zone with possession. I also like Benn, who represents an enormous improvement on Del Zotto, probably an improvement on Hutton. Fantenburg and Biega as six and seven? Well, Biega played his best hockey as a Canuck at the tail end of last year. Fantenburg?? 

Juolevi is almost certain to start on the farm along with Sautner and Brisebois - and so might Gaudette start there - which will help the farm. Also in Utica will be McEwan, Jasek, Boucher, Lind, Gadjovic, and a few new bodies of which I hope a few will be decent veteran forwards - of which Utica was definitely in need.

If we can create some player movement during the year, perhaps moving Sutter and Eriksson (a couple of guys really in need of a fresh start) - we might free some cap space - hopefully they play well enough to attract interest and we don't have to give up propects or future picks to move them.

5 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

That had nothing to do with it. 

You were talking about W karlsson and Leivo.

That has nothing to do with Jake. 

Sorry, but it’s on topic. Someone made a delusional comparison between w karlsson and Leivo and I said that comparison is similar to the delusional comparison between JV and Neely. We are comparing the comparison more than comparing the players, so the continuity is there and therefore it’s on topic.

On 7/2/2019 at 4:26 PM, Twilight Sparkle said:

No one was undervaluing Leivo

Seeing as hardly anybody views him as having the potential to be a top six guy is why I think people undervalue him. I think he's without a doubt capable of playing that role. Would he be elite as a second liner? No. But he certainly can play the position.