The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Loui Erickson trade

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

If Pat Marleau required a 1R to dump, what do people think of this offer:

To OTT: Erickson, Goldobin, Lockwood

To VAN: OTT 2020 3R

Cheap Melnik will like this.  He gets to claim Loui as a 6 mil cap hit, but pay Loui only 1 mil in actual dollars this year.  I don’t think the Sens would want Goldy though.  

4 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Why does Ottawa want Ericksson? They are $2M from the salary cap floor and still need to sign 5 players so there certainly is not a reason for them to take on a bad contract without a real incentive. Goldobin may be worth the 3rd you have coming back on his own but then you are asking Ottawa to take Ericksson by just adding a sweetener of Lockwood. We can't even trade Lockwood as he is not under contract so you could only trade his rights and that would be worth next to nothing.

Essentially, you are asking Ottawa to take Ericksson off our hands for nothing.....I like that but I really doubt Ottawa likes it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Why does Ottawa want Ericksson? They are $2M from the salary cap floor and still need to sign 5 players so there certainly is not a reason for them to take on a bad contract without a real incentive. Goldobin may be worth the 3rd you have coming back on his own but then you are asking Ottawa to take Ericksson by just adding a sweetener of Lockwood. We can't even trade Lockwood as he is not under contract so you could only trade his rights and that would be worth next to nothing.

Essentially, you are asking Ottawa to take Ericksson off our hands for nothing.....I like that but I really doubt Ottawa likes it.

Excellent critique.  Once again, no matter how many different scenarios we try, they all come to the same end game for Loui - Utica.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Excellent critique.  Once again, no matter how many different scenarios we try, they all come to the same end game for Loui - Utica.  

You certainly could be right Alf but if the Canucks are desperate to trade Loui they may be able to do it if they are willing to pony up enough incentive for a team like Ottawa to consider taking him on. The problem, as I see it, is that Canucks' fans don't want to pony up enough to make a realistic trade. If we retain 50% salary the incentive add on could be a more palatable scenario.

My guess though is either Utica or a mutual termination (less likely).

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

The reason that Marleau required a 1st rounder to dump was, there was NEVER an intention that he would play for the team that he was traded to. Toronto couldn't afford the cap hit that would have been created from buying him out, and Marleau stated all along that he wanted to go back and play in California, which wouldn't happen at the salary he was earning.

Any team accepting his trade knew that they would be spending actual dollars to set him free and back into UFA status.

We aren't required to do that, there are teams out there that he can be moved to that won't handicap us for future.

We might have to put something in to help sweeten it, but I'd say that you're going a long way overboard on that proposal.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Ottawa has 19 players signed and a cap hit of 49 million not counting the IR. With IR it’s 21 players and 58 mil.

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

You've got my vote. This Errickson thing has become a total distraction. I really hope Jimbo can do something to move on from one of his first and possibly worst mistake.

Honestly if there was a distraction, I haven't seen anything from the Canucks side of things to make it seem that way. All I've seen are things blown out of proportion from posters here and social media. I get it would be ideal to move on from him, but there just seems to be so much unnecessary anger and outrage over what seems so little over the actual reports that are out there.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Honestly if there was a distraction, I haven't seen anything from the Canucks side of things to make it seem that way. All I've seen are things blown out of proportion from posters here and social media. I get it would be ideal to move on from him, but there just seems to be so much unnecessary anger and outrage over what seems so little over the actual reports that are out there.

there's been almost nothing out of the Canucks org or team mates. 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

So Marleau cost a 1st to dump and we somehow get a pick back to dump a full cap hit over 3 seasons for a prospect and project player?

• Haha 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

there's been almost nothing out of the Canucks org or team mates. 

Sometimes silence speaks volumes too. There may be something going on behind the scenes, but no one actually knows, but yet people are seem so outraged for reasons unknown. I don't get it. There have been far worse instances where coaches are called out by the players (that we've seen publicly) and less has been done about it. Chabot called out his coach in Ottawa and I imagine no one would say a single thing about him possibly being a distraction if we acquired him. So it really comes down to him simply not being worth his contract, which is back to where we started before the story came out about his comments about Green. LE is simply a player being paid too much for what he provides, but he can still play a role at the NHL level. I don't get the threats to try and get him to agree to a "mutual" termination and making him "ride buses in Utica". He needs to play better (offensively) and that's about it IMO until we hear more into it if there is more to it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I proposed this in another thread and I still think it makes sense for both teams.

To Ottawa

Eriksson, Schaller ($14.9mil real dollars, $7.9mil cap hit this year)

They get veteran players to fill out their roster and mentor their younger players.  They save $4.5 million but get a higher cap hit which doesn't matter at this point.  The would still have lots of room to sign some RFA's and FA's.  

To Vancouver

Bobby Ryan ($22.5mil real dollars, $7.25mil cap hit)

Get a player who is a bit better offensively than LE, worse defensively.  Seems like a character guy.  We get a lower cap hit.  We also clear out some space for more contracts and actual space on the roster.

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Sometimes silence speaks volumes too. There may be something going on behind the scenes, but no one actually knows, but yet people are seem so outraged for reasons unknown. I don't get it. There have been far worse instances where coaches are called out by the players (that we've seen publicly) and less has been done about it. Chabot called out his coach in Ottawa and I imagine no one would say a single thing about him possibly being a distraction if we acquired him. So it really comes down to him simply not being worth his contract, which is back to where we started before the story came out about his comments about Green. LE is simply a player being paid too much for what he provides, but he can still play a role at the NHL level. I don't get the threats to try and get him to agree to a "mutual" termination and making him "ride buses in Utica". He needs to play better (offensively) and that's about it IMO until we hear more into it if there is more to it.

It was Duchene who blamed his coaches for his own poor play.  And lots here would be against having a guy with poor character like Duchene here.

It’s not a threat to put Loui in Utica.  It’s the reality for a player who is getting old, and can no longer play at the NHL level.  Loui is slow, has lost his hands, and lost his strength.  He’s done as a player at this level.  His former Canuck teammates want their best chance to win.  Those guys don’t want Loui hurting those chances.  Utica is where he will end up.  That’s the only end game in this scenario.  

9 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I proposed this in another thread and I still think it makes sense for both teams.

To Ottawa

Eriksson, Schaller ($14.9mil real dollars, $7.9mil cap hit this year)

They get veteran players to fill out their roster and mentor their younger players.  They save $4.5 million but get a higher cap hit which doesn't matter at this point.  The would still have lots of room to sign some RFA's and FA's.  

To Vancouver

Get a player who is a bit better offensively than LE, worse defensively.  Seems like a character guy.  We get a lower cap hit.  We also clear out some space for more contracts and actual space on the roster.

I had seen/proposed this at times, myself. After the Lu-recapture thing, now skeptical they'd take the plunge?

We also can only speculate whether the Aquas would sign on to what appears about 12,000,000(!) extra outgoing $, (over next 3 seasons)

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I had seen/proposed this at times, myself. After the Lu-recapture thing, now skeptical they'd take the plunge?

We also can only speculate whether the Aquas would sign on to what appears about 12,000,000(!) extra outgoing $, (over next 3 seasons)

I understand, but it saves 650,000 in cap space and clears out 2 guys who don't want to be here.  I am assuming that Ryan doesn't want to be in Ottawa anymore either.  I obviously don't know what Aquaman would say, but if it's in the budget, I think this would be good for all involved.

Ryan would have been our 4th highest scorer last year.

• Cheers 1

Well, considering that it took a 1st rd (which itself is much more valuable than Goldobin or Lockwood) pick to get Carolina to take 1 year of Marleau, and Ottawa would be looking at 3 more years of Eriksson....

Oh, and Lockwood becomes a free agent after this season, and since he's already signed onto college for one more year, his rights are essentially worthless right now.

So, all in all.......lol

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Dixon Ward said:

I understand, but it saves 650,000 in cap space and clears out 2 guys who don't want to be here.  I am assuming that Ryan doesn't want to be in Ottawa anymore either.  I obviously don't know what Aquaman would say, but if it's in the budget, I think this would be good for all involved.

Ryan would have been our 4th highest scorer last year.

Yeah, I think another merit is he has few bonuses, thus buying out his last yr(in 2021, for example) is more straightforward.

You can easily imagine scenarios where his inclusion is helpful. Say Baer gets banged up again(they might sit him a full season, should that happen); Ryan would be a useful asset if W's had to be shuffled around.

Certainly a more palatable contract than ugly Looch.

• Upvote 1

Ottawa only has 6 defenceman signed. What about throwing in Biega as well.  He clears out another 850k and gives them a solid, reliable depth guy for cheap.

Eriksson, Schaller, Biega ($15.75mil real dollars, $8.75mil cap hit this year)

They get veteran players to fill out their roster and mentor their younger players.  They save $6.75 million but get a higher cap hit which doesn't matter at this point.  The would still have lots of room..  

To Vancouver

This saves us 1.5mil.  Benn moves to the right when Tanev traded/injured.  More room for Juolevi, Rafferty, Sautner, and Brisebois to get time.

Edited by Dixon Ward