The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

20 minutes ago, BPA said:

It's weird that all of a sudden RFAs seem to hold the power in negotiations.  It used to be UFAs but the landscape has changed dramatically.  Probably due to TO signing Nylander to that stupid contract.

It probably started around McDavid's contract, then Toronto really just put that ball full steam ahead. This year there were several RFAs expiring that are very key to their teams. This has allowed these agents (3 or 4 from one agency alone) to simply play hard ball. All it takes is for one team to blink and it's over. If the agents can band together on this, I hope the GMs band together to work against them otherwise everyone is screwed.

It's a silly world where one stupid act becomes the norm.

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Lol. Is this a joke. This post is exactly what I mean. People are just homers and have no clue. But will attack others who know about out of market teams/players for being haters. 

Why wouldn't I want BB to get paid?

What i want is Canucks to win a Cup or two. And it won't happen if we overpay players a million here a million there. In the cap world a team can't afford to overpay players and win anything. 

And if you overpay BB you have to overpay EP and Hughes and Horvat next contract. Also all the 2nd tier players. 

You can't build a winner if you can't control your salary structure..

Are the Leafs the perfect example of a team that has way overpaid, and screwed up their salary structure?  Matthews, Nylander, Tavares?  And now Marner, who is arguably their best player, wants a lot too.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No idea.

It seems like some people think Benning comes on here and reads their comments.

Like I’m sure he was thinking of giving Boeser 7.5 mil until he came on CDC and read a comment about his poor skating and playmaking ability. Good thing that random poster brought him up to speed. Now he’ll change his offer to 5 mil a season for sure.

You would think this team has had an abundance of young star players over the last decade. People throwing out ideas like “well if Boeser wants 7.5 mil, we should trade him”. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

Boeser has earned 7 mil based on his performance. I just hope we can lock him in long term at that number. But if it’s only 4 years that works too. More time to prove himself.

Ideally I wanted Boeser long term at 7 million a year and 6 million on a 4 year deal, but just looking at how silly the market has become, I'm okay with the 7x4. As long as it's not like the Meier structure. We should be able to maintain the control of the RFA at the end of the 4 years. I think he's a 7ish million dollar player as is, so if he simply remains consistent, I don't mind extending him on a long term deal at around the same dollars with a moderate raise for inflation.

I think previously players may have played on bargain contracts, then got overpaid ones after to "make up" for the lost earnings then. This leads to overpaying a guy that is declining. So I'm okay with paying an RFA their worth now, but they need to accept that they're not getting a raise just because anymore and face the possibility that maybe this is your career dollar number unless you take yourself to another level (like Bo).

11 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Lol. Is this a joke. This post is exactly what I mean. People are just homers and have no clue. But will attack others who know about out of market teams/players for being haters. 

Why wouldn't I want BB to get paid?

What i want is Canucks to win a Cup or two. And it won't happen if we overpay players a million here a million there. In the cap world a team can't afford to overpay players and win anything. 

And if you overpay BB you have to overpay EP and Hughes and Horvat next contract. Also all the 2nd tier players. 

You can't build a winner if you can't control your salary structure..

You're the one acting like a joke for trying to tear down Boeser. Calling him a star is not me being a homer, it is a fact.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Always interesting so many posters on here never watch out of market games. They pretend to know who Meier is and how he plays but truthfully have no clue.

Anyone who thinks BB is better than Meier is either lying to them selves as a homer or just watches Canucks and has no clue about Timo Meiers game. 

You have a 200 ft two way power forward with a huge motor. Plays defense and puts up offense. 

Pretty much what Pod hopefully develops into one day. BB is so far a one dimensional player with a lethal shot. 

Meier is better at all aspects of hockey except the wrist shot. 

Meier is only 4 months older than BB but much much more of a complete player. 

Ah yes, always a smart idea to sign a player to a big contract after one season of good production.

Players never fade away after one good season.

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

it's not, take a look around the league at teams RFAs.

Yea if I didn’t know better I’d say the RFAs are all taking a stance this time around.

Agents trying to get them all big pay days before the next lockout?

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yea if I didn’t know better I’d say the RFAs are all taking a stance this time around.

Agents trying to get them all big pay days before the next lockout?

It's possible. I think it's just a waiting game to see which domino falls first. Each agent is probably worried they will sign a low contract, then other comparable players might cash in. It us a business after all 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

You're the one acting like a joke for trying to tear down Boeser. Calling him a star is not me being a homer, it is a fact.

Ya, so he hasn’t cracked 30 goals or 60 points in a season.  He is a good player with some real potential.  He is not a star yet by any means, aside from his magnificent hair.

I have heard a lot of out of town pundits say they don’t see him being a regular PPG player aside from maybe being a little inflated due to playing with Petterson as he matures and gets better. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Ya, so he hasn’t cracked 30 goals.  He is not a star by any means, aside from his magnificent hair.

I have heard a lot of out of town pundits say they don’t see him being a regular PPG player.

What Princess Nylander?  

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

It's not even close. I was listening to this analytics guy on TSN I think. In some metrics Meier  is better than Marner at creating scoring chances. 

There is no way you pay BB more than Meier on 4 year deal. Meier is a power forward plays a much much better over all game than BB. 

I wouldn't go as far to trade him. Not yet. But there is no way BB gets 4 years @ 7 mill per. I'd let him sit. And if he's not signed 1 month onto season I let him sit the whole season.  Not bring him back late like Nylander when he won't be in gopd enough shape to play against mid season form NHL players. 

7 yrs 7 mill max. Or a bit under. Sign or sit. 

Berkshire on Sportsnet had a similar take on Marner vs Meier - at the 3:20 mark he says Meier is significantly more productive than Marner.  He uses a video tracking software to come to his conclusions.  

Marner ranks 26th in the league according to the tracking software model he uses but only 4th on the Leafs.  Aho ranks 12th tied with Tavares.  McDavid is 1st followed by Crosby and Matthews.

Mike Kelly of NHL Network using that same video tracking software as Berkshire has Meier as top-10 in shots from the slot per game and even 6th from the inner slot, and has him as 11th in generating scoring opportunities per game. 

Berkshire btw tweeted that Meier needs a new agent - he wasn't the only stat guy saying that.  Later in the interview below he says Meier and Aho signed with their smaller market teams at ridiculous amounts - sounds like he thinks they are not earning enough.  NHL Network was praising Wilson for getting ahead of the market.  Wilson talked about how Meier was very pro-active and wanted something done early in the summer.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

It probably started around McDavid's contract, then Toronto really just put that ball full steam ahead. This year there were several RFAs expiring that are very key to their teams. This has allowed these agents (3 or 4 from one agency alone) to simply play hard ball. All it takes is for one team to blink and it's over. If the agents can band together on this, I hope the GMs band together to work against them otherwise everyone is screwed.

It's a silly world where one stupid act becomes the norm.

Before McDavid , the Toews/Kane 10mil each/season was a good salary implosion in Chicago.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Berkshire on Sportsnet had a similar take on Marner vs Meier - at the 3:20 mark he says Meier is significantly more productive than Marner.  He uses a video tracking software to come to his conclusions.  

Marner ranks 26th in the league according to the tracking software model he uses but only 4th on the Leafs.  Aho ranks 12th tied with Tavares.  McDavid is 1st followed by Crosby and Matthews.

Mike Kelly of NHL Network using that same video tracking software as Berkshire has Meier as top-10 in shots from the slot per game and even 6th from the inner slot, and has him as 11th in generating scoring opportunities per game. 

Berkshire btw tweeted that Meier needs a new agent - he wasn't the only stat guy saying that.  Later in the interview below he says Meier and Aho signed with their smaller market teams at ridiculous amounts - sounds like he thinks they are not earning enough.  NHL Network was praising Wilson for getting ahead of the market.  Wilson talked about how Meier was very pro-active and wanted something done early in the summer.  

Does Berkshire realize Meier locked himself a 10 million dollar 5th year basically (to average out at 6.9 million over 5 years)? How much more does he think Meier should get? God forbid a player does something of benefit to the team like sign a reasonable contract. Meier believes in SJ and if they are no longer contenders in 4 years, he's getting another 10 million dollars and then could walk or SJ doesn't qualify and he walks even earlier with a bidding war once he hits UFA. Meier's contract benefits a team making a playoff push, but really secures his destiny in the future. IMO it's a very good contract for Meier. The team benefits now, but likely pays the price down the road, but SJ wants to win now and has set their window so they will worry about those issues 4 years from now.

A 7x4 contract without the contract structure Meier got us essentially the same in that when qualified for the 5th year. The difference is we pay a higher cap hit, but we will have far more control in the future. If Meier at his contract is deemed as a steal, then Boeser at 7x4 without that hideous structure is pretty good value in this market. Boeser was on pace for around the same point production as Meier too this past season. Boeser had an even better 1st season.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Before McDavid , the Toews/Kane 10mil each/season was a good salary implosion in Chicago.

I believe that was their 3rd contracts though. They could've hit UFA. And they won Cups I believe at that point. We are discussing 2nd contracts after the ELC.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I hate this time of the year when we, as fans, only have contracts to talk about. 6 or 7 million per year to play a game is disgusting and it makes me sick that some of these young guys hold out for millions.

Normal families struggle yet these entitled little turds want more money...more money....more money. I blame the media and their greedy arse agents. All lawyers (and agents) could go burn in a giant bonfire and society would be better off. None of them actually do anything in life but argue and get paid for arguing. Pathetic.

However, the hockey fan in me likes Boeser and I hope we just get a contract done and he actually plays well for us. I just want to forget the disgusting amounts of money these barely legal adults get paid.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2