The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who said he's soft?  

As far as injury prone, how they happen is irrelevant........he's two seasons into his career and has yet to play 70 games in a season.

Its being implied that he’s soft and his body gives out too easily because he hasnt played a full 82 games. Everyone is complaining that he hasnt played a full season and is injury prone. He was well on his way to a full season in his rookie year and was still making a good case for the calder, up until a bench door was left open and he was hit into it. Yes it does somewhat matter how they happen, its different if he were to get hit with a solid shoulder check such as Auston no shoulders Matthews and miss games. But he had a freak injury that put him under the knife and set him back in his second year of pro hockey. They shut him down last season to get the surgery done in time for him to be fully recovered and training for the upcoming season. Rather than play another 6 weeks and be 6 weeks further behind on recovery and training

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Everyone is acting as if Brock is soft and injury prone, his first injury was a freak injury near the end of the season. He would have played a full 82. It was a serious injury and he recovered quite quickly, which he didnt have as much time to prepare for the 18-19 season and likely led to his wrist getting injured. They shut him down to get surgery rather than play out the season that had been lost. Injury prone is guys like Tanev and Salo. Blocking shots, taking hard hits or falling awkwardly, resulting in injury

??

Dr Recchi...How does his first injury make it so he injures his wrist?

Inquiring minds want to know.

• Wat 1

14 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Its being implied that he’s soft and his body gives out too easily because he hasnt played a full 82 games. Everyone is complaining that he hasnt played a full season and is injury prone. He was well on his way to a full season in his rookie year and was still making a good case for the calder, up until a bench door was left open and he was hit into it. Yes it does somewhat matter how they happen, its different if he were to get hit with a solid shoulder check such as Auston no shoulders Matthews and miss games. But he had a freak injury that put him under the knife and set him back in his second year of pro hockey. They shut him down last season to get the surgery done in time for him to be fully recovered and training for the upcoming season. Rather than play another 6 weeks and be 6 weeks further behind on recovery and training

I agree with you 100%

lol, Boesser being injury prone!  What a freaking farce.  He broke his back on a weird accident when he slammed into the open door side of the boards....I'm sure that was conditioning, not just unlucky.  And then, while recovering from said back injury, he ended up with a groin injury incurred because he was trying to get into game shape in a shorter amount of time because of said back injury.  After that, he was a freaking horse for us.  Go jump in a lake with the opinion he's like Mr Glass.  We'd all have probably had the same things in the same circumstances.  smh.

If anything, we're lucky that he had the fluke, and could probably slide in at under 7 million per year.  He's going to put up the points this year, and everyone is going to say what a steal he is.

Edited by Solinar
addition
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

59 goals in 140 games played would you like me to do the exact math for you?

35 goals sound better to you? Never mind he was playing with an injured wrist last season and went through a dry spell because of it 

we all know we have a special player here and end of the day 7 million isint an overpayment is what my post was getting at... enlighten me tho... why you think boeser isint a legit top end goal scorer that’s going to put up 30 goals if he’s healthy?

I literally said zero of those things.   

This isn’t a conversation you are having in your head where you need to make up both sides of the argument.    

Im right here and can make my own statements.    Hahahah 

Please remind me....  what year did Brock score 30?

as far as I know he scored 29 and 26.  

No 30 goal seasons yet.  

Do you call yourself a Surgeon after one year of med school?   

• Cheers 1

It doesn't help when teams like Snottawa sign players with 16 goals and less than 50 career NHL points to 28.5 million deals...

The right thing imo is a bridge for Boeser with Horvat money - but rational contracts don't appear to be in vogue in the NHL.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

Connor is a tier above BB, imo........far more of an impact player in all areas of the ice, same with Meier.  Whomever likened Boeser to Kessel probably hit the closest.......obviously you can't compare contracts, but the are very similar players.

I just did the math for Kessels first non ELC contract

5 years at 5.4 cap hit, salary cap in year 1 was 56.8. Phil's cap used 9.5% of cap space.

He played 70 games his first season with 11 goals and 29 points. 

82 games his second season with 19 goals and 37 points

70 games his third and contact season with 36 goals and 60 points, he also played 11 playoff games with 6 goals and 11 points. Goals per game 0.51 points per game 0.86

Phil is very one dimensional (offense)

but he does his job well with fantastic playoff numbers. 15 playoff games with 15 points before that contract was signed

Boeser

I'm not a fan of prorating scoring to an 82 game season as reliability and durability are in itself an NHL commodity

His second season 62 games played 29 goals scored with 55 points. Goals per game 0.47. points per game 0.89

His third season 69 games played 26 goals scored and 56 points. Goals per game 0.37 points per game 0.81

As you can see the only real difference here is that Boeser played less games by 21 in the 2 seasons leading up to the contract and has no playoff experience so I think Phil should be paid better, but taking into account that Phil on has the one great year while Boeser has two evens things out, or at least gives favour to Boeser for a longer contract

Boeser's contract should look to be around 7.7 for 7 years using Kessels as a comparable

I think for all parties involved a 3 year 5.5 deal followed by an 8 year deal that can reflect his more matured game would be the best for the team and him if his game gets even better

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

Ummm not training all summer leads to injuries. If he had a full summer to workout and train, he would be less likely to injure himself

33 minutes ago, BPA said:

??

Dr Recchi...How does his first injury make it so he injures his wrist?

Inquiring minds want to know.

8 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

You are feeding me a load of crap. The FACTS are those missed games are the reason why he didn't hit 30 goals, and he missed those games because of a serious injury that could have potentially ended his career.

Also, this past season, the games he missed were from the first couple of months. When he came back he played the rest of season and didn't miss any more games. The fact that he would have been a back-to-back 30-goal scored if he didn't miss those games is pretty god damn consistent to me.

No one is saying he's not probably a 30+ goal scorer, but at this point during contract negotiations he's not, those are just the facts. Brock has had multiple injuries both seasons here and yes he was good last half of last season but still had lingering injuries he played through. I would like a bridge\show me contract and see Brock play a full injury free season with our added top six players and see what we really have . I think if healthy he's a 65-75 point guy 30-40 goal scorer with this new top six

2 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

I see it as something that affects negotiations, not that's he's "soft".  If he hasn't played a full season yet, that should be a factor that brings down his price.

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

I just did the math for Kessels first non ELC contract

5 years at 5.4 cap hit, salary cap in year 1 was 56.8. Phil's cap used 9.5% of cap space.

He played 70 games his first season with 11 goals and 29 points. 

82 games his second season with 19 goals and 37 points

70 games his third and contact season with 36 goals and 60 points, he also played 11 playoff games with 6 goals and 11 points. Goals per game 0.51 points per game 0.86

Phil is very one dimensional (offense)

but he does his job well with fantastic playoff numbers. 15 playoff games with 15 points before that contract was signed

Boeser

I'm not a fan of prorating scoring to an 82 game season as reliability and durability are in itself an NHL commodity

His second season 62 games played 29 goals scored with 55 points. Goals per game 0.47. points per game 0.89

His third season 69 games played 26 goals scored and 56 points. Goals per game 0.37 points per game 0.81

As you can see the only real difference here is that Boeser played less games by 21 in the 2 seasons leading up to the contract and has no playoff experience so I think Phil should be paid better, but taking into account that Phil on has the one great year while Boeser has two evens things out, or at least gives favour to Boeser for a longer contract

Boeser's contract should look to be around 7.7 for 7 years using Kessels as a comparable

I think for all parties involved a 3 year 5.5 deal followed by an 8 year deal that can reflect his more matured game would be the best for the team and him if his game gets even better

The point is, giving Kessel that kind of $, based on scoring, was a big mistake.........Phil came in right away didnt he?  Boes was d+2

I agree on the $5.5 over 2-3 years.......make Brock prove he can be a consistent top line scorer who can stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

No one is saying he's not probably a 30+ goal scorer, but at this point during contract negotiations he's not, those are just the facts. Brock has had multiple injuries both seasons here and yes he was good last half of last season but still had lingering injuries he played through. I would like a bridge\show me contract and see Brock play a full injury free season with our added top six players and see what we really have . I think if healthy he's a 65-75 point guy 30-40 goal scorer with this new top six

If Boes is a 30 goal guy, based on an 82 game projection, can you imagine the eruption if Jake gets a contract based on his 20 goal projection?

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I see it as something that affects negotiations, not that's he's "soft".  If he hasn't played a full season yet, that should be a factor that brings down his price.

Everyone seems to label him as injury prone and worried he is just going to continue getting hurt. Its not like it was bumps and bruises, or fatigue that kept him from a full season, it was a freak injury that led to him missing valuable training time which leads to further injuries. Auston Matthews shoulder is popping out on good clean hits. Thats a guy I would be worried about down the road.

The kid is worth 7mil. Especially seeing Nylander at 6.9. Its hard to argue he isnt worth it. 

7 mil 4 years and hes still an RFA, either he gets signed to his big money contract at that point, signed and traded or traded for a kings ransom. We hold more control long term for our future. Rather then a 7x7 and potentially seeing him walk for nothing.

11 years of being under contract

or 4 years with a heavy return for the future versus 7 years and maybe nothing at the end.

Posters are complaining that he is going for a bridge deal so he can hit the jackpot in the following contract. Give him a bridge deal and make damn sure that he can hit 30 goals and consistently to be worth the next contract. Rather than just forking it out right away and ending up in cap hell like the leafs.

At least thats my view point.

Just now, knucklehead91 said:

Everyone seems to label him as injury prone and worried he is just going to continue getting hurt. Its not like it was bumps and bruises, or fatigue that kept him from a full season, it was a freak injury that led to him missing valuable training time which leads to further injuries. Auston Matthews shoulder is popping out on good clean hits. Thats a guy I would be worried about down the road.

The kid is worth 7mil. Especially seeing Nylander at 6.9. Its hard to argue he isnt worth it. 

7 mil 4 years and hes still an RFA, either he gets signed to his big money contract at that point, signed and traded or traded for a kings ransom. We hold more control long term for our future. Rather then a 7x7 and potentially seeing him walk for nothing.

11 years of being under contract

or 4 years with a heavy return for the future versus 7 years and maybe nothing at the end.

Posters are complaining that he is going for a bridge deal so he can hit the jackpot in the following contract. Give him a bridge deal and make damn sure that he can hit 30 goals and consistently to be worth the next contract. Rather than just forking it out right away and ending up in cap hell like the leafs.

At least thats my view point.

I don't think he's injury prone, but he's yet to complete a full season, or even 70 games.  That is fact and it should factor into negotiations

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Who said he's soft?  

As far as injury prone, how they happen is irrelevant........he's two seasons into his career and has yet to play 70 games in a season.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think he's injury prone, but he's yet to complete a full season, or even 70 games.  That is fact and it should factor into negotiations

?

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

The point is, giving Kessel that kind of $, based on scoring, was a big mistake.........Phil came in right away didnt he?  Boes was d+2

I agree on the $5.5 over 2-3 years.......make Brock prove he can be a consistent top line scorer who can stay healthy.

I agree about Phil and his first contract should have been closer to 4.8-5 but the leafs love to over pay, in this case in both picks and contract. A player shouldn't eat up close to 10% of cap space unless they make the players around them better and IMO both Boeser and Kessel don't although they are both at the upper end of complimentary players (these are the type that don't need other players to elevate their game)

I really hope he takes a bridge deal to establish a cap structure moving forward

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The biggest factors that bring down his price are no arbitration rights and no ability to negotiate with other teams.

His agent has no negotiating power.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1