The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

26 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Boeser is my fav player, but if he was offered 7 mill for 6 years as per tsn overdrive , if that is true, then Boeser needs to fire his agent for not doing right by him. that is a good contract for a young player and he needs to accept it. 

I disagree.  6 years is a long time and I bet that Boeser thinks he's going to get a lot better as a player as he enters his prime.  That contract would be an absolute steal if he becomes a 80 point player and say the cap increases between now and 2025 (which it will).  

I think they need to sign a bridge deal until we truly see what kind of a player Boeser can be.  We haven't even seen him play a full season yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm starting to not like this new trend that these young guys believe they deserve the same amount of money or more, then other star players who have earned it throughout their careers. Like the Tavares thing in TO, Tavares played year after year after year at a high calibre level and proved he deserved to be paid that after years of showing he was worth it in the league for 9 years. Then you see someone like Matthews after only 3 years in the NHL and now gets to make more than Tavares :picard:, and seeing Marner want that kind of money now too, definitely losing respect for some of these new generation players in the league.

Yeah it really came from two terrible markets signing their UFAs without arbitration rights to huge deals to keep them happy.  When McDavid signed it seemed fairly reasonable, he was best player in league and well Edmonton needed to pay him to keep him in that hole.  Then Eichel got paid for a contract he came nowhere near earning because it would have been devastating for Buffalo to lose him.  The rest of the league is now stuck with those precedents.

Of the RFA forwards out there Brock should have been the easiest.  He is a guy that needs to be on a bridge deal.  Has not played a full season, multiple wrist surgeries for a guy who lives and dies by his wrist shot.  Great player and even better guy but he has not payed his dues yet.  He should be signing for 2 years at Bo or Edler money.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

I disagree.  6 years is a long time and I bet that Boeser thinks he's going to get a lot better as a player as he enters his prime.  That contract would be an absolute steal if he becomes a 80 point player and say the cap increases between now and 2025 (which it will).  

I think they need to sign a bridge deal until we truly see what kind of a player Boeser can be.  We haven't even seen him play a full season yet.

We’ve apparently offered long term and short term deals and everything in between.....so, I would say $$$ is the sticking point.....as well as his agent 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Hopefully by me saying this the opposite will happen, but this is looking to drag for a long long while still and i wouldnt doubt seeing a trade demand (used as leverage) to try to get the fans or even ownership on JBs arse. 

Brock has far too much class to demand a trade.  Benning's offered both short and long-term.  If Boeser's agent insists on bending over the team with one of the backloaded monstrosities that have been handed out recently, his client can sit and get nothing.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yeah it really came from two terrible markets signing their UFAs without arbitration rights to huge deals to keep them happy.  When McDavid signed it seemed fairly reasonable, he was best player in league and well Edmonton needed to pay him to keep him in that hole.  Then Eichel got paid for a contract he came nowhere near earning because it would have been devastating for Buffalo to lose him.  The rest of the league is now stuck with those precedents.

Of the RFA forwards out there Brock should have been the easiest.  He is a guy that needs to be on a bridge deal.  Has not played a full season, multiple wrist surgeries for a guy who lives and dies by his wrist shot.  Great player and even better guy but he has not payed his dues yet.  He should be signing for 2 years at Bo or Edler money.

Even McDavid, I get he's the best in the game and if there's one exception to someone getting paid young it's him, but I would still argue 10M should be his max on a 2nd contract. 

Regarding Brock, I get he's a skilled young player, but he does need to improve on his skating still imo, and yes injuries with wrist and back and groin need to be factored in on the contract I believe as well. Imo he shouldn't be making more then Bo yet in his career, even if they do play different positions.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Brock has far too much class to demand a trade.  Benning's offered both short and long-term.  If Boeser's agent insists on bending over the team with one of the backloaded monstrosities that have been handed out recently, his client can sit and get nothing.

I agree on Brock and think of any trade demands were made it would be from and directed by his agent

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm starting to not like this new trend that these young guys believe they deserve the same amount of money or more, then other star players who have earned it throughout their careers. Like the Tavares thing in TO, Tavares played year after year after year at a high calibre level and proved he deserved to be paid that after years of showing he was worth it in the league for 9 years. Then you see someone like Matthews after only 3 years in the NHL and now gets to make more than Tavares :picard:, and seeing Marner want that kind of money now too, definitely losing respect for some of these new generation players in the league.

It's not about what you've done in the past though, it's about what you're projected to do in the future.

Young players generally get better, old players get worse. If an old guy plays well year after year and produces x amount of points, teams will still be more willing to pay the younger guy that is projected to get x amount of points in the future, rather than the older guy, who is bound to decline at some point. It has nothing to do with these kids being more greedy, it's literally just because Matthews holds more value over the next 10 years compared to Tavares.

It's supply and demand, not deserve and reward. If it was deserve and reward, you would be correct, but that's never how things work in any profession.

Edited by Grape
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Oh, it's greed I think. Apparently:

Inside The Neutral Zone @ITNZhockey

According to @mirtle with the @TheAthletic the #MapleLeafs have made 3 offers to Marner & his agent. 3 Years - $8.75M AAV, 6 Years - $10M AAV & 7 Years - $10.75M AAV #Marner #Leafs

Holding out for 11.5? Guess you need those other 2 Ferraris to go with the first 22.

Agreed. These 20 year olds have already become greedy little sobs on the advice of their sleezy lawyers. You could fire every lawyer on the planet into a volcano and the world would be a much better place.

Hell.....I will be the one to pull the catapult switch if no one else will.

Nope...not even kidding.  I work in the legal system...lawyers have destroyed it.  :picard:

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

7 x 7..called it last summer. Get it done gang

Golden boy boes turned that down already as per the media. 

Haha...man. I hope boeser fires the sleeze ball agent. Just agree to a fair deal brock.....don't be just another entitled little puke.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Excellent post. Seeing entitled 21 year olds is kind off sickening.

Let boes sit if he wants 8m per for 8 years. Eff him. JT Miller can probably replace him for now anyways....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KeslerWho? said:

If he's not signed by the start of the pre-season games the team actually plays in, I will be pretty disappointed in Boeser. Don't think this one is on JB, seems like he's offered him several different options. 

Exactly...how many times has JB UNDERPAID a player.

Like....NEVER.  Wake up boes.....smack the agent lawyer sleeze ball in the face with your wrister....

....but put it on Youtube!!!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Exactly...how many times has JB UNDERPAID a player.

Like....NEVER.  Wake up boes.....smack the agent lawyer sleeze ball in the face with your wrister....

....but put it on Youtube!!!

Horvat is clearly overpaid. 

2 hours ago, Grape said:

It's not about what you've done in the past though, it's about what you're projected to do in the future.

Young players generally get better, old players get worse. If an old guy plays well year after year and produces x amount of points, teams will still be more willing to pay the younger guy that is projected to get x amount of points in the future, rather than the older guy, who is bound to decline at some point. It has nothing to do with these kids being more greedy, it's literally just because Matthews holds more value over the next 10 years compared to Tavares.

It's supply and demand, not deserve and reward. If it was deserve and reward, you would be correct, but that's never how things work in any profession.

Not sure what job you do, but raises are normally based on how well you do your job over the years of doing it, and prove you deserve it, not on what they're hoping you may do in the future.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Excellent post. Seeing entitled 21 year olds is kind off sickening.

Let boes sit if he wants 8m per for 8 years. Eff him. JT Miller can probably replace him for now anyways....

Honestly thinking like that is the last I want to think like, but at the same time you need to make a stand and hold your ground as well, so I'm not against what you're saying, if him and his agent are really going to play this game.

• Upvote 1