The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

canucks are going to ice a 23 man roster. That means pick two players to waive. It really doesnt matter which two, the max Canuck can save from waiving the players is 2,150,000 total. That added onto our current cap available is under 7 million which is not enough to sign Brock long term. 

Don’t we have 25 players signed at the moment (BB would make it 26)....meaning three guys will get cut or sent to the AHL..maybe AG wins a spot or is kept up until a trade can be made - adding a million and change to this...not 100% sure just going by an article - haven’t spent the time to count it myself.. but my understanding is we could open up over 7 if need be ...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

They have performance bonuses and with LTIR in effect the cap space available needs to also cover the potential performance bonuses.

Pettersson gets papered down at 925K but with LTIR in effect his recall is not 925K but 3.775M (925K + 2.85M in potential performance bonuses).  

But Hughes with bonuses is a shade over 1.6 million which Roussel's LTIR would cover. We could save about another 900k of cap to start the season this way. Add in the 2.15 max savings from waiving players and it's just over 3 million, so we would have just over 7 million in cap space to work with.

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don’t we have 25 players signed at the moment (BB would make it 26)....meaning three guys will get cut or sent to the AHL..maybe AG wins a spot or is kept up until a trade can be made - adding a million and change to this...not 100% sure just going by an article - haven’t spent the time to count it myself.. but my understanding is we could open up over 7 if need be ...

Yes, we will be at 26 once Boeser is signed. However, that includes Rousell who is injured and will be on the IR until November.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We're at 25 men right now, adding Brock makes 26. Three guys need to go down. Then Rooster goes on IR and we recall someone (using IR relief if need be).

That 25 includes Roussel. Brock is 26. Only two players waived and Roussel on IR. If you waive 3 players and put Roussel on IR that means we’re running with a 22 man roster. 

If if Nylander gets 6.9 for 6 years and Keller gets 7.15 for 8 years. Then Brock is going to be asking for more than we have available on a long term deal. That’s why media is saying long term doesn’t fit.  Either Brock will have to take lower value or Canuck will have to make a trade, a trade that we would have very little bargaining power in. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

My money would be on 3 of Schaller, Eriksson, Goldobin and Leivo.

Someone might even claim Leivo should he be one of them and that would clear his full $1.5m

Banking on someone claiming a player is not a strategy to be banking on. It would also be a bad use of the depth JB’s been building. 

People were upset with media. I explained the logic. Sure there plenty of high hope hypotheticals that people can come up with. But none of them are a guarantee and many are frankly quite unrealistic. 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Banking on someone claiming a player is not a strategy to be banking on. It would also be a bad use of the depth JB’s been building. 

People were upset with media. I explained the logic. Sure there plenty of high hope hypotheticals that people can come up with. But none of them are a guarantee and many are frankly quite unrealistic. 

I'm not banking on anyone being claimed. I'm doing simple math.

50 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

That's some captain talk right there, I wonder if Bo is going on the road trip too!

Also looks like EP has made new friends ( for those concerned about how EP would react to the Dahlen situation).

Was thinking that exact same thought....

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No one needs to be claimed. When a guy is waived the first 1.025 million of their salary comes off the NHL team's cap. That's all we need

Edited by MattJVD

Here’s things that we need to remember in all the calculations that I see bouncing around;

#1 Boeser will sign and cap hit will be something between 6 and 7 million, unless JB is an incredible negotiator 

#2 Roussel is on LTIR till at least mid to late November, so his cap hit doesn’t count.

#3 Once Boeser is signed, we will have extra bodies who will either be traded or waived and sent to Utica, freeing up roughly 1.025 million each (assuming they are contracted for more than that)

#4 By the time #2 happens, either Eriksson, Edler or Tanev, or a combination of them, will be on LTIR, because this is the Canucks, and THAT is how we roll.

So, in closing, whenever in doubt about our cap space, look back to this post and refer to #4!

Edited by VegasCanuck

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Here’s things that we need to remember in all the calculations that I see bouncing around;

#1 Boeser will sign and cap hit will be something between 6 and 7 million, unless JB is an incredible negotiator 

#2 Roussel is on LTIR till at least mid to late November, so his cap hit doesn’t count.

#3 Once Boeser is signed, we will have extra bodies who will either be traded or waived and sent to Utica, freeing up roughly 1.025 million each (assuming they are contracted for more than that)

#4 By the time #2 happens, either Eriksson, Edler or Tanev, or a combination of them, will be on LTIR, because this is the Canucks, and THAT is how we roll.

So, in closing, whenever in doubt about our cap space, look back to this post and refer to #4!

if that were the case, he'd be signed already, imo.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope.

Roussel's on the opening roster. THEN he gets put on IR and you recall someone. 23 men then - 1 then +1. Three guys waived.

The player you recall has a cap hit. There are not coming up free of charge. 

Again, we have $7.3 +/- to sign Boeser before even bothering with IR. Given Keller's highly comparable 8 year deal, there's zero reason we can't sign Boeser for a hair more for 8 years. Or say +/- $7m for 7 years or +/- $6.5m for 6 years, etc, etc. 

I already did the math clearly and spelled it out. Canucks have a hair over 7.1 million. 

Keller put up 47 points in 82 games less year. How is that comparable?  The only way it is comparable is that both players are banking on them elevating their game from what they’ve shown there first two seasons. 

You really believe Brock would take less that Nylander on a 6 year deal? 

THERE'S NOTHING STOPPING US FROM SIGNING HIM LONG TERM OTHER THAN BOESER AND HIS AGENT AGREEING TO REASONABLE TERMS (and Benning offering them).

I’m curious to see how you determine what is reasonable. The numbers you have thrown around are not. 

13 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

No one needs to be claimed. When a guy is waived the first 1.025 million of their salary comes off the NHL team's cap. That's all we need

Sorry but if a guy gets waived 1.025 comes of their salary. But if he doesn't get claimed and is put back on the roster, will he be back to his original cap hit?

Edited by spook007

1 hour ago, The Great Canucks said:

Stop making something simple so difficult. We sign Boeser,

The puts us at 26 players. 

then we waive three guys.

Down to 23 man

Roussel goes on LTIR,

Down to 22 man

then we recall someone we waived.

Puts us back to 23 but that cap is also brought back up giving us only 2 million is buried cap space. Roussel LTIR gives us somewhat temp relief. 

When Roussel is ready to come back, we once again waive the person we recalled.

Thus adding another 2 million in cap space put us OVER the cap ceiling. 

Simple as that.

Math is simple but clearly you struggle. 

The player you recall has a cap hit. There are not coming up free of charge. 

LTIR.

I already did the math clearly and spelled it out. Canucks have a hair over 7.1 million. 

Depends on the players.

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Keller put up 47 points in 82 games less year. How is that comparable?  The only way it is comparable is that both players are banking on them elevating their game from what they’ve shown there first two seasons. 

You really believe Brock would take less that Nylander on a 6 year deal? 

I’m curious to see how you determine what is reasonable. The numbers you have thrown around are not. 

They're quite comparable with Boeser worth slightly more.

Nylander is both overpaid and has a history of more production.

They're quite reasonable.

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Sorry but if a guy get waived 1.025 comes of their salary. But if he doesn't get claimed and is put back on the roster, will he be back to his original cap hit?

1.075M can be buried this season.  It's league minimum + 375K - league minimum is 700K.

As long as he is in the minors 1.075M can be deducted from his cap hit.  If he is recalled the full cap hit is then back on the books.  

• Thanks 1