The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THE REBUILD IS OVER

Rate this topic

Zigmund.Palffy

Just now, Bubble Man said:

Rebuilds should never be over. We should always be focusing on replenishment. Throwing all your chips in now is what got us in a bind in the first place.  

Actually the rebuilding phase should have an end.  Then the GM uses all assets, including picks, prospects, and roster players (who are not the core) to maximize the potential of the rebuilt core.  

57 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

The rebuild isn't over but Benning just abandoned it to save his job.

Just watch he will now sell out more of the future to correct his mistakes, Eriksson will cost a 1rst round pick and he wil pay it because he HAS to make the playoffs so he can get a job somewhere else.

Just wait IF the team manages to get a wild card spot they will be annihilated by one of the two top teams, even if bigger.

Benning's clock is running out.

How anyone thinks two scorers in Pettersson and Boeser with Hughes end a rebuild, well then every team in the league is rebuiding every year because many have young players and those with legit proven superstars just keep on trucking along.

This rebuild needed at the very least one more good draft year more likely two, two more seasons at the rate JB has dragged it out.

Pretty much draw a line and every prospect isn't good enough.

While I agree with your assessment, I believe that we need one more draft but keep in mind, those newer players were acquired via the free agents, it doesn't cost us anything in term of asset being lost.  We still are building the depth, even if we don't make the playoffs next season, we will more likely make the playoffs in 2020-21 season.   The Millar trade doesn't cost us next season due to condition as lottery protected pick and I believe that Benning can opt to give the 2020 first rounder if it's not the top 10 if he wishes to do it so.  I believe that he made an early assessment on what 2020/21 season on scouting and what's it might look like and maybe he doesn't like the look of 16 year old playing in junior and think it's not deep draft and is not good enough.  Who knows.   If we make the playoffs in 2020/21 season, we lose first rounder anyways and it's not a big deal because it's late first round, depends on where we finish in the standing while he might feel that it is worth the risk by trading for Millar due to early stage of scouting for 16 year old group.   He had to tangle with the offer for next season with condition that make sense and he doesn't really lose anything for next draft.  If this team became good next two seasons, then giving up the first round is worth the risk for competitiveness sake and team building's sake as well.    I believe that he has the asset to trade Sutter/Tanev for some returns that might include picks after this off-season is done with more depth.   

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually the rebuilding phase should have an end.  Then the GM uses all assets, including picks, prospects, and roster players (who are not the core) to maximize the potential of the rebuilt core.  

Stop following me around, I’m not a cat. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

With the signing of Micheal Ferland, do you think the rebuild is over?

We have a team that can compete for a playoff spot now and we are fairly still young, we have added size, skill and strength throughout the lineup.

what do you guys think?

J.T Miller - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser

Micheal Ferland - Bo Horvat - Tanner Pearson

Sven Baertschi - Adam Gaudette - Jake Virtanen

Tyler Motte - Jay Beagle - Josh Leivo

LTIR: Antoine Roussel

SCRATCHES/TRADED: Schaller , Eriksson, Sutter 

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev 

Quinn Hughes - Tyler Myers

Jordie Benn - Troy Stecher

Oscar Fantenberg 

Jacob Markstrom

Thatcher Demko

No more being pushed around! 

The D is questionable sure but you can see JB picking BPA on D for the next few years.. but there's possibility of Train returning too.. D is a bit of a trick, if we want smaller-ish pmd on each pairing then we need a bigger-ish stay at home D to pair that with or the playoffs kills you, especially when a big center decides to park his ass in the crease and screen.. cannot have the buffy vs loungo thing happen again... 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Your posts are fun to contradict.  Plus, haven’t you had a cat flavoured Bubble Tea?  

No, you are a rep farmer now, I remember back in the day you were often against the grain. 

And to your other post, look at Tampa. They just got nothing but futures for a player on their roster. Prioritizing the future while being a Stanley cup favourite. 

2 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

No, you are a rep farmer now, I remember back in the day you were often against the grain. 

And to your other post, look at Tampa. They just got nothing but futures for a player on their roster. Prioritizing the future while being a Stanley cup favourite. 

True, I was a farmer, but I’m retired now.  Still wish I’d stayed on the farm.  Wife got MS and I couldn’t use my legs any more, but damn being on the farm was truly heaven.

Tampa is a smart franchise.  However, drafting in the top three and getting Stamkos and Hedman (I think Hedman doesn’t get the credit he deserves) made life a lot easier for them.  

Pits good to criticize mistakes.  But, when the GM is doing good things then it’s good to recognize that too.  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Rebuilds should never be over. We should always be focusing on replenishment. Throwing all your chips in now is what got us in a bind in the first place.  

I've missed you LaBamba ;)

What 'chips' exactly have we thrown in? Signing good, below market contracts to useful players hardly seems like a waste or a burning through of assets. We still have prospects, lots of future picks, solid cap positioning and an increasing amount of available assets to return further futures.

I'm having trouble seeing where the sky is falling.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

This will be a big year for Gadjo.

Those closer to the Utica team liked his effort.

I had high hopes for him.

Wasn’t there some coaching issues with prospects playing in Utica?  Palmu  returned to Europe. 

Hopefully guys like Tryamkin and Juolevi can make this D core a bit better next season. On top of Woo and Rathbone down the line. Forward core is definitely playoff caliber imo. Sutter's health is key. We can't have him playing 60 or fewer games anymore. On defense the health of Edler and Tanev will be key. At the very least Edler's. We have proven we can handle the loss of Tanev but losing both is way too debilitating. Edler is the anchor on defense and it's success lives and dies on his presence. I know we all love Hughes but the kid is just turning 20 in October. Lets not put all our hopes and dreams on his back just yet.

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

The rebuild isn't over but Benning just abandoned it to save his job.

Just watch he will now sell out more of the future to correct his mistakes, Eriksson will cost a 1rst round pick and he wil pay it because he HAS to make the playoffs so he can get a job somewhere else.

Just wait IF the team manages to get a wild card spot they will be annihilated by one of the two top teams, even if bigger.

Benning's clock is running out.

How anyone thinks two scorers in Pettersson and Boeser with Hughes end a rebuild, well then every team in the league is rebuiding every year because many have young players and those with legit proven superstars just keep on trucking along.

This rebuild needed at the very least one more good draft year more likely two, two more seasons at the rate JB has dragged it out.

Pretty much draw a line and every prospect isn't good enough.

75143064-A7C5-4914-AC35-E68BC2C59302.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Come on, is it ever actually “over”?

No. 

Even the good teams are always doing something-rebuilding, it’s just a matter of how much maintenance that separates the degree, I guess. 

Let’s not have Captain Obvious ruin a good vibe here. 

Absolutely correct.  I agree rebuilds are never really over. 

I am so eager for this upcoming season. On top of our new shiny toys I can’t wait to see progression from Bo, Brock and Elias. Add more skilled players to our already extremely talented trio of forwards and I can see them all putting up new career highs in goals and points for those three. Exciting times ahead fam!!!

• Upvote 2