The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THE REBUILD IS OVER

Rate this topic

Zigmund.Palffy

1 hour ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

With the signing of Micheal Ferland, do you think the rebuild is over?

We have a team that can compete for a playoff spot now and we are fairly still young, we have added size, skill and strength throughout the lineup.

what do you guys think?

J.T Miller - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser

Micheal Ferland - Bo Horvat - Tanner Pearson

Sven Baertschi - Adam Gaudette - Jake Virtanen

Tyler Motte - Jay Beagle - Josh Leivo

LTIR: Antoine Roussel

SCRATCHES/TRADED: Schaller , Eriksson, Sutter 

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev 

Quinn Hughes - Tyler Myers

Jordie Benn - Troy Stecher

Oscar Fantenberg 

Jacob Markstrom

Thatcher Demko

No more being pushed around! 

Wait... rebuild over as in being a cup contender?? Certainly heading that way!!

Just a few more steps away if JB can somehow get rid of Eriksson and Schaller.... bring in one more big gritty forward to our 4th line. Also, our D still looks a little soft... kinda missing a bigger, tougher, and more skilled Biega!! Baertschi and Goldobin look to be misfits now.... flip them for picks? 

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Not even close.  Outside of Hughes, we have barely any good defenders in the system.  Juolevi/Woo could be something but who knows.  No decent forward prospects outside of Podkolzin (two years anyway) and Hoglander.  Goaltending is above average so maybe we can move somebody out to fix defence or forwards.

It's a step in the direction by making playoffs but this team still has many holes and issues all around.

Players you're sleeping on:

Tryamkin, Rathbone, Brisebois, Lind, Madden, Lockwood, MacEwen, Keppen.

That's 8 players you failed to acknowledge.

• Upvote 1

I will believe the re-build is over when I look at our line-up in Oct.

Still lots of stuff that needs to be done:

sign BB & Goldy

Lose some dead weight

Then we will cheer for the Nucks to make the PLAYOFFS and then anything goes!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Not even close.  Outside of Hughes, we have barely any good defenders in the system.  Juolevi/Woo could be something but who knows.  No decent forward prospects outside of Podkolzin (two years anyway) and Hoglander.  Goaltending is above average so maybe we can move somebody out to fix defence or forwards.

It's a step in the direction by making playoffs but this team still has many holes and issues all around.

I think we a a team that will compete for a playoff  spot next year, with a top 10 prospect pool coming up as well.  To me that is a pretty solid spot to be.  We have a lot of homegrown talent on the roster already, and still have Podkolzin, Madden, Hoglander, lockwood, Lind, Tryamkin, Woo, Joulevi, Brisebois, Rathbone, Di Pietro as solid to high end prospects.  That is a pretty balanced pool of talent in all positions.

I am a huge fan of what JB has done in this rebuild.  Not all of his moves have worked out, but a 5 year turnaround from 100 point season to rebuild to competing again is pretty impressive.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Players you're sleeping on:

Tryamkin, Rathbone, Brisebois, Lind, Madden, Lockwood, MacEwen, Keppen.

That's 8 players you failed to acknowledge.

On a deep team, I doubt there’s room for any more project players, which, strictly going by the odds, several of those players are and will be.

You left out Gadjo. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

On a deep team, I doubt there’s room for any more project players, which, strictly going by the odds, several of those players are and will be.

You left out Gadjo. 

I wonder if signing Ferland for 4 years is saying the team isn’t so high on Gadjovich? 

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You left out Gadjo. 

These are prospects still putting in their time... He was talking about how there aren't any forwards or Dmen to speak of in our pipeline other than the 2 or 3 names he mentioned. I'm saying there's a lot more very good prospects coming in waves in the near future.

I left out Gadjovich, Palmu, Sautner, Chatfield and a few others, but those imo are tier 2 players and are the real projects. Tryamkin and Rathbone project to be top 4 Dmen down the road, and Lind and Lockwood and Madden project to be good middle 6 players. The point I was making is that he forgot about a lot of names there when he made the post. Deep team or not, you need prospects pushing for spots and we certainly have that in spades.

• Upvote 1

The rebuild isn't over but Benning just abandoned it to save his job.

Just watch he will now sell out more of the future to correct his mistakes, Eriksson will cost a 1rst round pick and he wil pay it because he HAS to make the playoffs so he can get a job somewhere else.

Just wait IF the team manages to get a wild card spot they will be annihilated by one of the two top teams, even if bigger.

Benning's clock is running out.

How anyone thinks two scorers in Pettersson and Boeser with Hughes end a rebuild, well then every team in the league is rebuiding every year because many have young players and those with legit proven superstars just keep on trucking along.

This rebuild needed at the very least one more good draft year more likely two, two more seasons at the rate JB has dragged it out.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if signing Ferland for 4 years is saying the team isn’t so high on Gadjovich? 

Pretty much draw a line and every prospect isn't good enough.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 5

On 7/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

No more f-ing around!

Going after it, hard. 

JB is insulating the skill with character and as much grit and toughness as he can in the modern NHL. 

At the very least, the Canucks will at least lose well. 

Thats all I’ve ever asked for as a fan. 

I dont think I have anything left to complain about. I’ve got my way, basically, as a fan. The team is built pretty much how I like it. I’m a happy fan! 

Yep.  Another happy fan here.  I think I can speak for many of us when I say that I'm tired of seeing our team pushed around win or lose.  What a nice blend of skill, size, speed, and even a little much needed toughness that we now have.  Well done Jim, over to you Travis.  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

These are prospects still putting in their time... He was talking about how there aren't any forwards or Dmen to speak of in our pipeline other than the 2 or 3 names he mentioned. I'm saying there's a lot more very good prospects coming in waves in the near future.

I left out Gadjovich, Palmu, Sautner, Chatfield and a few others, but those imo are tier 2 players and are the real projects. Tryamkin and Rathbone project to be top 4 Dmen down the road, and Lind and Lockwood and Madden project to be good middle 6 players. The point I was making is that he forgot about a lot of names there when he made the post. Deep team or not, you need prospects pushing for spots and we certainly have that in spades.

ATA boy...

As you were, sir. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

We have a team that can compete for a playoff spot now and we are fairly still young, we have added size, skill and strength throughout the lineup.

what do you guys think?

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev 

Oscar Fantenberg 

Jacob Markstrom

Thatcher Demko

Yup, I think the trade for Miller, and the signings so far this month are JB announcing that the Canucks are ready to take the next step and return to the playoffs.

There is still lots of work to do this summer, before we head to training camp. I think he has a plan to move Eriksson and won't be surprised if Tanev and Baerstchi are moved. 

Figure that we have roughly 6 million in cap space right now, based on a 23 man roster plus 3 million from LTIR. Sign Boeser for about 7 million (hoping for 6.5 on 6 years), and if push comes to shove, we are set for the season as we are now.

And, we thought camp last year was going to be competitive! 

2 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

what do you guys think?

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev 

Oscar Fantenberg 

Jacob Markstrom

Thatcher Demko

No, the rebuild is not over until this team is a consistent playoff team.   Let's see them play a season or two before making proclamations.   No question, however, that on paper this team is DRAMATICALLY, improved over the team that started last season and it is hard to argue that more than one or two other teams improved more on paper this off-season than the Canucks have.

2 hours ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

I'm curious to see what Jim does with Boeser, I'm worried were going to lose him. 

Also how will he move out a contract or two? We played pretty heavily for Miller given how Tampa was handcuffed. So now with our disadvantage in this negotiation I dont see how we dont give up a Virtanen or a baertschi/tanev and picks to unload a guy and bring back a lower pick.

We also might have to ship markstrom. 

Where do you get this crap?

• Haha 4