The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Lucic + Conditional 3rd to Calgary for Neal

Pears

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

That’s still a three million dollar contract though.  I still see the end result as Loui retiring.  He’s not going to play in the AHL. 

3mill is better than 6mill. No guarantee that Loui does retire .

3 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

3mill is better than 6mill. No guarantee that Loui does retire .

He’s got 50 plus million, and his reputation in Sweden is even bigger than that bank account.  He will retire before being put on waivers.  

6 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

If Hutton was a 40 point dman for 4 straight years like Risto, he would have been qualified by the Canucks.

Plus minus is a team strength stat in many ways and as a stand alone is not always an accurate reflection of a players individual defensive worth. Risto has work to do on the defensive side of the game but right handed, right side, 40 point dmen are valuable in the NHL. Left handed, side, 20 point Dmen? Not as valuable apparently.

what's better a consistent 45 pt player with a -30 stat  or a  consistent 20 pt player with a +15...I know the 45 pt player is the sexy pick...but I would pick the 20 pt player with a +15 stat...Risto is consistently a big time minus player...you don't win with this kind of player...basically getting another Hutton...Risto didn't help Buffalo...he seemed to be more of a liability than a steady dman.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

what's better a consistent 45 pt player with a -30 stat  or a  consistent 20 pt player with a +15...I know the 45 pt player is the sexy pick...but I would pick the 20 pt player with a +15 stat...Risto is consistently a big time minus player...you don't win with this kind of player...basically getting another Hutton...Risto didn't help Buffalo...he seemed to be more of a liability than a steady dman.

Exactly.  I like the St Louis model for defense.  Big, solid defensively and all can be trusted in all situations.

• Upvote 3

Just now, King Heffy said:

Exactly.  I like the St Louis model for defense.  Big, solid defensively and all can be trusted in all situations.

We did get a lot bigger this off season, didn’t we.  Quinn is not big, but in those five games last year we had a 7-3 shot advantage, when he was on the ice.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We did get a lot bigger this off season, didn’t we.  Quinn is not big, but in those five games last year we had a 7-3 shot advantage, when he was on the ice.  

And Quinn's nowhere near the defensive liability of someone like Gardiner, Rielly, or Risto.  Nice group we are assembling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Defensive defensemen are criminally underrated here.  People think that Jake Gardiner is an upgrade over Tanev.  Luckily we drafted Jet Woo, who should be able to fill that sort of role.

Absolutely

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Defensive defensemen are criminally underrated here.  People think that Jake Gardiner is an upgrade over Tanev.  Luckily we drafted Jet Woo, who should be able to fill that sort of role.

Mitchell and Greene were the ultimate shutdown "D" that played together and big minutes...they shut the other teams top players down.

45 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Capture.PNG.bddbbacacbe4f5b4fedb06a73ce5a896.PNG

These are the stats of a steady dman that you win with...note the pts and note the +/-...This boy has 2 stanley cup rings and was a big reason LA won those cups

He is the reason we didn't win in 2011 

*well actually malkin was the reason... (made Gillis scared to re-sign him)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I would pick the 45 point player every time because a 20-25 point difference between dmen is huge and plus minus on a weak team finishing near the bottom of the standings is going to be skewed. Especially for a top pairing dman that plays a lot of minutes.

Plus minus is not a stat that should be used in isolation to determine a players defensive ability. It relies on far too many factors outside a players control. Its a weak stat at best, best used in coordination with a lot of other information.

Ristoleinen and Hutton should never be compared. Risto is simply the far better player.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

I would pick the 45 point player every time because a 20-25 point difference between dmen is huge and plus minus on a weak team finishing near the bottom of the standings is going to be skewed. Especially for a top pairing dman that plays a lot of minutes.

Plus minus is not a stat that should be used in isolation to determine a players defensive ability. It relies on far too many factors outside a players control. Its a weak stat at best, best used in coordination with a lot of other information.

Ristoleinen and Hutton should never be compared. Risto is simply the far better player.

no worries...the Canucks picked up two steady dman this summer.

...and never resigned a liability, yet

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 2